Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stereo stolen--now i have no power for the new one

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mudflap is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Stereo stolen--now i have no power for the new one

M car was broken into 2 days ago, the stereo was stolen--the wires to the aftermarket wiring harness were clipped. My keypad for the auto door locks worked when i opened the car to check the damage...i turned the car on and heard that familiar snap of electrical wiring hitting metal--in my haste, my dumbass didn't remove the aftermarket harness and i assume the ACC controlled power wire shorted out on metal. now my doors will not automatically unlock with the keypad, the interior light does not come on with the door open (unless i have the ignition set to the 'on' position) and i have no power to the replacement stereo..i checked the fuses under the dash for the stereo and security system, both are fine (swapped them anyways just to make sure)...checked the fuse box under the hood, all of the fuses are ok. what am i missing? please help...i could not find a similar post anywhere...i am leaving for the beach tomorrow and need this fixed asap!!! cannot go to the beach without my xm stereo...
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

Bryn is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you checked nearly everything. 'Cept there's a good chance that there are some accesory fuses for stuff like interior lights, power windows on the interior fuse box. Check them all, I'm sure one is blown.

P.S. - I'll try to find some info in the owners manual online for you.

Last edited by Bryn; 08-07-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

Check fuse #'s:
8, 15 (these are the ones you probably check)

18 is the accesory power. Could be that one.
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

i checked #18 and the other two were previously checked...all are ok. there must be some kind of fuse elsewhere...what gets me is that the interior lights work with the switch turned off if i set them to the 'on' position. they just don't turn on when the door is opened. and they work with the key set to 'on' with the doors open...damn...why...why...why did i turn it on yesterday. i've always disconnected the harness when this happened before....
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

rkotlowski is an unknown quantity at this point
Get a power tester. I think they are like 5-15 dollars. Start testing all your power wires....
You'll find the blown fuse sooner or later...

Rob
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by mudflap
i've always disconnected the harness when this happened before....
THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE???????? GET AN ALARM!!!!!!!!

Don't know what to tell you! I can't think of any other fuses that I have seen other than at the fuse boxes.
Old 08-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I dont know if our cars have these, but some vehicles come with a fusable link. A fusable link is a basically a thick wire that acts like a fuse. If it gets overloaded or shorted, it can burn out and not conduct electricity. Dont mistake a fuseable link for a wire that has a in-line fuse built into it, those are different. A fuseable link looks like any other wire but usually has an amperage rating on it or it rated by a color code scheme. Did you try resetting the ECU? Might be worth a shot. If you cant find the source of the problem your best bet is to take it to professional installer or dealer and have it looked at.
Old 08-08-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ I think our cars do have that. That could be the cause of the problem.
Old 08-08-2003
Registered!!

Not if he gets power w/ the dome light in the on position. Everything is fused in one way or another, because ANY wire has a certain amount of resistance that could get hot, melt the wire, or even cause a fire if too much current is drawn through it. I'd try to get a wiring diagram and see if all of those accesories (dome light, radio, whatever else doesn't work) is on the same circuit. It's got to be a fuse!!!
Old 08-10-2003
Registered!!

Thanks all of you...sorry i didn't get back sooner...just got back from the beach. For future reference--the problem was a backup fuse in the engine bay--it's actually called 'Backup'. It was blown--the last fuse i checked of course...