Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

2006 Civic - When will break pads need replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kalirion is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic - When will break pads need replacing?

I have a 2006 Civic which I purchased 3 years ago, but it only has 12000 miles on it. According to the manual this is the time to replace the break fluid, but it's a $120 job.... A friend told me that break fluid shouldn't need to be replaced more often than the break pads. Is that true? But when will the break pads need replacing? The Maintenance Minder system is fine for telling you what needs to be done now but there isn't a clue as to whether that 'B' light will go off tomorrow or 10 years from now, or after 100,000 miles...

So, Maintenance Minder B is the one that indicates breaks need to be inspected. Anyone know, in the ball park, after what mileage/time it is supposed to trigger?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic - When will break pads need replacing?

the brake fluid is every 3 yrs, not dependent on mileage. its a very good idea to change it, or you risk thousands of dollars to repair the braking system if you leave contaminated fluid in too long. brake pads anywhere from 20-40k miles depending how you drive. the brake light only comes on if youre low on brake fluid (either leaking or getting used up from pads being low). not sure what the B is, maybe a new thing. it may actually be connected to measure pad thickness but idk for sure.
Old 04-18-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

Is there a DIY, or can anyone tell me how to flush brake fluid?

-Thanks
Old 09-03-2016
Registered!!

ZILLA is an unknown quantity at this point

Wrong >>> front pads should last easily 60,000 miles and rear 90,000 to 100,000 . and just look at pad linings thru wheels and simply see how much lining is showing . never really need to replace the brake fluid unless you check reservoir in a downpour with lid off . just another way dealerships find ways to rip you as much as possible !!! set in any Honda dealership and listen as you'll hear ...uh your brake pads need replacing or your tire/ tires need replacing . my goodness how on earth did you make it here ???? and that will be another godzillion dollars . wonder why they don't tell you your interior need "scotchguard' renewal at $300 ???
Old 09-05-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

This thread is rather old!

Originally Posted by ZILLA
Wrong >>> front pads should last easily 60,000 miles and rear 90,000 to 100,000
"Should" last depends how the brakes are used. The mileage can vary greatly which is why they get inspected for wear.

just another way dealerships find ways to rip you
Not all dealers are the same.

Is all you do complain? I had a bad experience with a Ford but I don't just rant about how horrible Ford is!!

Anyone who looks at your post history will see how meaningless your words are. You can't just yell all the time and expect people to listen.
Old 09-05-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

...Zilla what you are recommending is not safe.

In 62,000 miles I've serviced my front pads three times and rear shoes once; and my fourth set will be installed next summer since I'm already down to an 8th of an inch.

Granted I drive far more aggressively than the average civic owner, but who is to say the OP doesn't drive spiritedly as well?
Old 09-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

"Should" last depends how the brakes are used. The mileage can vary greatly
Yes.
Brakes only wear while they are in use.
If you never use your brakes, they won't wear out.

---

I have a friend who used his car on a rural newspaper route.
3 routes, actually.
About 250 miles per night.
Anywhere from 100 feet, to a mile between stops.
Every takeoff is full throttle....
Every stop is standing the car on its nose.

Needed new brakes every 2 or 3 months-- due to driving habits.

Tried every shop who advertised lifetime brake jobs.
Every shop turned him away after only a few subsequent FREE brake jobs under the lifetime warranty offering.

I put at least 2 transmissions in that car LOL
And endless suspension parts.
Car had 450k miles when he got rid of it.