Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

8th gen Civic clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
igw425 is an unknown quantity at this point
8th gen Civic clunk

I have been noticing a clunk coming from the front end when turning fairly sharp at low speeds only (Ex.: backing out of or pulling into a parking spot). That is is the only time it makes the noise. Once you stop turning or speed up, the noise goes away. I have inspected the cv / ball joints, and everything looks to be in good shape. I have heard that a couple of years in this generation have some issue (something like some bolts need to be re-torqued) that causes this very noise, but I have been unable to find anything definitive on that.

Anyone know what this may be and what a potential fix is?

Thanks for all of your time and help.

Vehicle: 2007 Civic EX Sedan
Old 10-25-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 8th gen Civic clunk

-Make sure the strut top hat bolts and main bolt are tight
-test the ball joint by jacking up the car, leave the tire on, move the tire side to side.
-check your lower control arm bushings for cracks.
-check bolts from the brake knuckle to the strut.
-check steering arm connection.
Old 10-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by igw425
I have inspected the cv / ball joints, and everything looks to be in good shape
you cant go by looks when inspecting a ball joint, how exactly did you test to see if the ball joint is okay?

assuming the ball joint is okay, i would next look at lower control arm bushings, and sway bar end links
Old 10-25-2017
Registered!!

igw425 is an unknown quantity at this point

I put the jack on the car, left the tire on and tried moving the tire side to side checking for play in the ball joint. I even had some one film the ball joint while I was at the wheel so I can see if there was any play visibly that I was not feeling. Used my hand to check for up and down movement in the joint while it was lifted. I feel pretty confident that it is not a ball joint. I have had ball joint issue with previous vehicles, and this just doesn't feel the same.
Old 10-13-2018
Registered!!

bwfixit53 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by igw425
I put the jack on the car, left the tire on and tried moving the tire side to side checking for play in the ball joint. I even had some one film the ball joint while I was at the wheel so I can see if there was any play visibly that I was not feeling. Used my hand to check for up and down movement in the joint while it was lifted. I feel pretty confident that it is not a ball joint. I have had ball joint issue with previous vehicles, and this just doesn't feel the same.
I have a 2009 civic dx automatic and have this same clunking noise backing up in the driveway and turning sharply into a parking place. I jacked the front end up and turning wheels right all the way I hear a clunk or left all the way it clunks. I have read all service bulletins about the steering rack bolts being torqued wrong from the factory. You supposedly loosen steering rack bolts and retorque them but they are hell to get to because I tried.I'm not a mechanic just a DIY guy with some mechanical ability. Anyhow some posts on here tell about people going back to dealer and getting steering rack retorqued but still had a clunking noise. I've read a bunch of posts with same issue and some people rebuilt whole front suspension and still had that clunk noise. I even considered buying a subframe bolt kit that has big washers that makes frame noise free for about $75 on ebay. I would look into the steering rack issue first with the technical service bulletin and go from there. Sorry I could not help you, just sharing my thoughts on it.
Old 07-15-2019
Registered!!

Jrbkeb2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever figure out what this was I think I'm having the same problem.
Old 09-19-2019
Registered!!

cykaforlet is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem, though only around left turns in the road. It grinds through the floor and you can feel the groaning in the car. I've replaced the axles on both sides as well as the ball-joints and LCA bushings and complete LCA. No difference. It'as also not the wheel bearing, and I'm assuming this might be the steering rack? Why would it rub against anything around turns?
Old 10-11-2020
Registered!!

Daniel Reilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same problem on my 2009 Civic SI. After inspecting myself and getting multiple mechanics to take a lookI have narrowed it down to the steering rack. My tie rods and CV axles are in good shape so It was difficult to find at first. Right now just looking for a good deal and debating whether to get a used rack or an aftermarket one.