Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

8th gen 2008 Honda Civic Sedan - can shops not fix bad front camber?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unknown00 is an unknown quantity at this point
8th gen 2008 Honda Civic Sedan - can shops not fix bad front camber?

I just got new tires, and suddenly realized my car is pulling hard to one side.
  1. Is it normal for new tires to suddenly affect pull?
  2. I took my car to get an alignment, they fixed toe, but said can't adjust camber for Civics. Is this true? Front only
Old 02-11-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 8th gen 2008 Honda Civic Sedan - can shops not fix bad front camber?

did they pull before or after alignment?
camber - yes, not adjustable, maybe by a few 0.1 degrees
Old 02-11-2017
Registered!!

unknown00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
did they pull before or after alignment?
camber - yes, not adjustable, maybe by a few 0.1 degrees
pull both before & after. it's better after alignment (adjust toe) only, but still obvious too
i'm at -0.08 camber and they said unadjustable
Old 02-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unknown00
i'm at -0.08 camber and they said unadjustable
Post the complete alignment numbers please.
A pic of the alignment final printout would be fine.
Old 02-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

pull both before & after. it's better after alignment (adjust toe) only, but still obvious too
swap front/rear tires and see if it still causes problems
Old 02-12-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Bad pull can be caused by alignment for sure but IN MY OPINION, you would have noticed it before new tires. On new tires, since they are square across to rolling axis, they would not pull unless chamber was so far off, you could visible see it. If the toe was say way out both front towed outward, ever little uneven places in road would tend to cause car to go that way. Years ago when cars were really sloppy built, they actually toed them in some to keep that from happening. Pull is usually caused on Civics by not rotating tires enough, tires wear on one side and then they are like rolling a drumstick ice cream cone straight..not going to happen. Switch them to the back. If it goes away, you probably have a defective tire or bent rim if they happen to be steel. Something they did or was already done and just happened to be on back when you got new tires. You did get 4???

My 2007 Civic is the one with the rear camber like a stock race car. Think it's -2.0. It's actually hard to keep up the rotation enough to keep tires on rear from getting a one side wear pattern. Once it starts, there is no stopping it. I rotate ever 6K at Cosco and still not 100% sure it is enough. I have a set of rear control arms to fix it. Takeoff from a newer Civic before Honda learned the error of their ways. Civics for me have always had tire problems. MY old 1985 and my 1994 after 40K of miles would always thump and howl from odd tire wear or just could have been tire brand I use to run. My 2007 have had wires coming out after less then 40K on last two sets of 80K quality tires. That could be something however to do with my 20 some-think driver.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 02-12-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
swap front/rear tires and see if it still causes problems
Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Bad pull can be caused by alignment for sure but IN MY OPINION, you would have noticed it before new tires.
Did you guys miss this?
pull both before & after.
OP still needs to post ALL of the alignment numbers so we have something of worthwhile to work with.
Toe, camber, caster, thrust angle, and SAI/IA if they took those measurements.

On new tires, since they are square across to rolling axis, they would not pull unless
Dude, pull complaints aren't found strictly with worn tires.
Brand new tires can have pull problems too.
Old 02-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

yup, I saw - if the problem goes away when he swap front/rear tires, it means it's tires, if not, he need work further.
Old 02-13-2017

Someone needs to wake up the OP first.