Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2012 Shudder & Jerk

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2012 Shudder & Jerk

It was gorgeous here in VA today, I also worked on my car

Way I have done it for one of the car which never had any ATF change done: 1st drain and fill, then drove for 2-3 days as usual, then did another one and finally 3rd one almost 1 week apart from 2nd one. YMMV and in my case it was a 2008 Civic.
Old 01-20-2018
Buckeye

Buckeye is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
It was gorgeous here in VA today, I also worked on my car

Way I have done it for one of the car which never had any ATF change done: 1st drain and fill, then drove for 2-3 days as usual, then did another one and finally 3rd one almost 1 week apart from 2nd one. YMMV and in my case it was a 2008 Civic.
Thanks Maverick. Hopefully the weather holds for driveway repairs. I was hoping a set mileage vs days of routine driving would be the recommended method.
Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

Yes, we are expecting nice weather in coming days.

Honestly, I have never cared about mileage since in a few days ATF is mixed up and we are trying to ensure transmission has more newer fluid, instead of tired one or concentration of newer is more.
Old 01-20-2018
Buckeye

Yeah, I agree with more new vs old fluid.
Old 01-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For an official Honda trans flush procedure, buy a case of fluid and take a look at this, this has a word for word copy of the document:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...-official.html

Applies to ALL true Honda models. Note this came out long before the new DW1 fluid did, procedure hasn't changed.
Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

Buckeye, if you planning to buy a case of fluid I have some hook up to buy Honda/Acura DW1 ATF, PM me if you need any information.

Above statement is intended as a courtesy and to help, by no means a business solicitation
Old 01-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Buckeye.. you could do 3x3 as mentioned above or repeat the procedure
that Ezone linked three consecutive times. Last time I did one I used a set of homemade ramps, did a drain and fill, drove car for 20 minutes going through all gears, returned and repeated the same procedure two more times. It just a matter of mixing the old and new ATF throughout the transmission and differential and doing so in all gears. Obviously, come to a full before switching in/out of reverse.

I didn't use Lubegard shudder-fix in mine but I did use Lubegard Red and while I can't say it helped, it didn't do any damage either. Supposedly, helps the transmission run cooler via friction reducing modifiers. I used it on an '98 Civic EX that seemed to have hard shifts. As it turns out those transmissions are known to be hard-shifting anyways. Soon after I purchased that car I did a 3x3 ATF with Valvoline Max-Life (full synthetic) + a bottle of Libegard red. Purchased car at 150k miles and sold it around 200k miles on odometer.
Old 01-21-2018
Buckeye

Mega,
I plan to drain and fill x3 today and with some luck this will resolve the problem. Thanks for the feedback on your process and experience. A colleague and big car guy has used and recommended this product line: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/ Does anyone have any experience?
Old 01-21-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buckeye
Mega,
I plan to drain and fill x3 today and with some luck this will resolve the problem. Thanks for the feedback on your process and experience. A colleague and big car guy has used and recommended this product line: https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/ Does anyone have any experience?
IIRC Honda doesn't recommend any additives to ATF. So, add at your own risk.
I've never used any BG products.
Personally, I wouldn't use any type of transmission cleaner or slip reducer (Lucas) unless it's for a last ditch effort on a failing or badly slipping transmission. The cleaners are aimed at (hopefully) cleaning stuck valve bodies. However, there's potential to do more harm then good by increasing sediment throughout the transmission and differential.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-21-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Mega,
I wouldn't use any additives in transmission, guess manual also suggests something similar?

Honda ATF has all additives what should be needed for a 'working transmission', unless there's some mechanical issue it should be good to go.
Old 01-23-2018
Buckeye

Latest update: Sunday (1-21-18) I did a Drain & Fill x2. Since then, the shifting seems smoother, but the shudder & jerk are still present. I'm at a loss for what it could be...
Old 01-23-2018

Latest update: Sunday (1-21-18) I did a Drain & Fill x2. Since then, the shifting seems smoother, but the shudder & jerk are still present. I'm at a loss for what it could be.
Torque conversion lock-up shudder?
Misfire under load at very specific speeds?: http://www.autotap.com/techlibrary/a...n_misfires.asp

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2018
Buckeye

No signs / symptoms of any misfires, so I'm leaning toward it being torque converter clutch issue / lock-up shudder. From what I observed today, it seems to happens between 40-50 with light or steady fuel supply. Don't know if there are any, but any possibility it's a sensor related to the transmission?
Old 01-23-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

No signs / symptoms of any misfires, so I'm leaning toward it being torque converter clutch issue / lock-up shudder. From what I observed today, it seems to happens between 40-50 with light or steady fuel supply. Don't know if there are any, but any possibility it's a sensor related to the transmission?
Unplug the EGR valve and drive it a while, see if there is any change in how it acts.

Yes it's gonna turn on the check engine light and all the warning messages, but this is a test.
Old 01-23-2018
Buckeye

Originally Posted by ezone
Unplug the EGR valve and drive it a while, see if there is any change in how it acts.

Yes it's gonna turn on the check engine light and all the warning messages, but this is a test.
Ezone...will unplugging the EGR cause any damage to the engine? I know it recycles/recirculates fuel back to the cylinders, but will it do any damage? How long / far should I drive it? What should I be looking for in particular...increased issues or improved conditions in general?
Old 01-23-2018

No it won't hurt for testing. You only need to drive it long enough to decide if the problem is still present or no longer present. 10 minutes, a day, a week, whatever it takes. If the problem always acts up during every drive, it shouldn't take long to decide if unplugging it changed anything.

The system recirculates exhaust, not fuel.
Old 01-24-2018
Buckeye

No it won't hurt for testing. You only need to drive it long enough to decide if the problem is still present or no longer present. 10 minutes, a day, a week, whatever it takes. If the problem always acts up during every drive, it shouldn't take long to decide if unplugging it changed anything.

The system recirculates exhaust, not fuel.
ezone,
I unplugged the ERG...and...nothing happened. The car started and drove as if it were still connected. No dash or check engine lights lit-up. I drove it between 5-10 miles at various speeds. I felt it jerk/shudder once, but that was it. So, what does this indicate? Do I need to remove and clean the ERG...?
Old 01-24-2018

Are you saying unplugging the EGR didn't change your complaint?
Old 01-24-2018
Buckeye

Are you saying unplugging the EGR didn't change your complaint?
Yes, unplugging it didn't change anything.
Old 01-24-2018

Then it's apparently unrelated to your issues.
It was just an easy check, that's all.
Carry on.
Old 01-24-2018
Buckeye

Then it's apparently unrelated to your issues.
It was just an easy check, that's all.
Carry on.
Lol...thanks! Shouldn't the dash lights have come on? Or is the EGR not monitored in any way?
Old 01-24-2018

It sure is, but it may be a two-trip monitor...meaning it may take more than one drive before a fault turns the CEL on. Probably has a 'pending' code stored right now but probably won't turn on the light til next drive with valve unplugged

Or it may turn on the light next time anyway.
Old 01-26-2018
Buckeye

ezone...I came across this article ( http://tiny.cc/shudder-jerk ) Could it be a dirty throttle body and / or throttle position sensor causing the issue?
Old 01-26-2018

ezone...I came across this article ( http://tiny.cc/shudder-jerk )
Oh boy....

This article applies to the Honda Civic (1992-2000).

If you have an OBD-II scanner, connect it to your Civic's ECU, which is located behind the kick panel of the passenger's side foot well.
Um....not quite like that.

You might not realize it, but this particular picture is the TB of an old Porsche 944...a far cry from any Honda

Article link includes same image without text: http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/te...rottle_cam.htm

Their loose engine mount picture is from a Civic far newer than the models the article is directed at.

Did someone just use google image search when writing their article? Sure seems like it.

Could it be a dirty throttle body and / or throttle position sensor causing the issue?
Can't say for certain, but I doubt it.
Your car has throttle-by-wire, you might cause more problems than you bargained for if you mess with it.
Old 01-26-2018
Buckeye

ezone...thanks for the quick feedback.
Old 02-06-2018
Buckeye

I stopped by a transmission shop today and explained to the owner what was going on with my Civic. He said it didn't sound like the transmission, rather a COP not functioning properly. There are no codes of any type, so im not sure what to think. Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2018

I stopped by a transmission shop today and explained to the owner what was going on with my Civic. He said it didn't sound like the transmission, rather a COP not functioning properly. There are no codes of any type, so im not sure what to think. Thoughts?
COP = Coil On Plug?
These coils aren't problematic IMO, but that doesn't mean never.

If it had an ignition coil problem it would be causing misfires of some sort....and the computer can pick up even partial misfires that most people wouldn't notice (feel).....BUT it would have to be a somewhat consistent miss, it has to last long enough to exceed certain thresholds (misfire counters) to trigger the CEL.

Most ignition related misfires can be replicated on demand (loading and/or time)

You say no codes, so I doubt that's the issue....but have you pulled the 4 spark plugs out to inspect?
Old 02-07-2018
Buckeye

ezone,
Yes, COP is Coil On Plug.
I didn't think they'd be an issue either, but I'm running out of options as to what the issue is. I figured the transmission would be the issue, but when he told me it didn't sound like a tranny issue, well ok, let's check the COPs. I haven't pulled the plug to examine as of yet.
Old 02-07-2018

I'm not reading the entire thread to check.......have you taken the car to a Honda dealer and taken a (competent and knowledgeable) tech for a ride and demonstrated the issue?
Old 02-07-2018

Is it a CVT transmission?