Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

whats this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
whats this?

Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Re: whats this?

this plug full of oil on it. I was looking under my hood and saw alot of black old oil everywhere near this plug. But there is no leak apparently, After driving one hour, I put some cardboard under the car and there is no leak, the oil stains go down to some metal pipe under the fans. or maybe its just grease. when i bought the car, it had been greased everywhere and even under the hood.

Its the plug just right of the manifold.
What is it called and is the front manifold is it the intake or exhaust one? ( im new to mechanics)

Maybe its when honda did oil changes in the past that they just dropped it there? (now i do oil changes myself since now) or there is really a leak somewhere.

Is it ok to spray some gunk engine cleaner all over the area and on that plug to take all of the oil off and then see if it leaks again?

Thanks alot!

Last edited by Kristoliquid; 12-01-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,137 Likes on 951 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

that looks like an electrical connection, someone got a little too happy with the under coating spray. i'd hit it with some degreaser
Old 12-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How about a pic without so much zoom so we can tell where you are at in the car
Old 12-01-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

all i can tell is that silver thingie is the CAT shield....
Old 12-01-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of answering a much needed question, based on post history, OP's car is a 2007 DX Sedan, AT. I think it's safe to assume it's not his wife's '05 CDM Si/USDM EX since that doesn't look like anything in a D17A2 engine bay, if the heat shield is for a cat.

As far as location goes, seems like front end of engine, to the right (stage left) of the cat.
Old 12-01-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
For the sake of answering a much needed question, based on post history, OP's car is a 2007 DX Sedan, AT.

As far as location goes, seems like front end of engine, to the right (stage left) of the cat.
In that case, the messy thing is the oil pressure sending unit.

(Was on lunch when I made my other reply)
Old 12-01-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It was killing me that I couldn't figure out what it was. I kept backtracking to the oil system, but couldnt find anything definitive. Glad my instincts were on the right track
Old 12-02-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

so much crud in there that couldn't see, but now i faintly see the HEX on the base...
Old 12-02-2017

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid
What is it called and is the front manifold is it the intake or exhaust one? ( im new to mechanics)
Ya, exhaust......The big round can covered by the heat shield is the catalytic converter.

Maybe its when honda did oil changes in the past that they just dropped it there? (now i do oil changes myself since now) or there is really a leak somewhere.
How the f would someone spill oil there?

After driving one hour
It's probably a slooow leak.
Is it ok to spray some gunk engine cleaner all over the area and on that plug to take all of the oil off and then see if it leaks again?
I'd use brake cleaner to clean up the mess just because it's handy for me in the shop....... but yea use whatever is convenient.
this plug full of oil on it.
I expect it to need an oil pressure switch because it's leaking.
Old 12-02-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
How the f would someone spill oil there?
I don't know man. Shops do some weird scheisse. The one shop I let do a head gasket/valve change (just because I was fed up with working on it at the time. I had just finished a head gasket change and the TDC sensor decided to go full kamikaze) managed to get a hefty amount of oil on the front of my a/c condensor. That's right.. The front. Of the AC condensor.
Old 01-30-2018
Registered!!

can i use chlorinated brake cleaner to spray that greasy thing and all over?
Old 01-30-2018

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid
can i use chlorinated brake cleaner to spray that greasy thing and all over?
Originally Posted by ezone
I'd use brake cleaner to clean up the mess just because it's handy for me in the shop....... but yea use whatever is convenient. I expect it to need an oil pressure switch because it's leaking.
Old 01-31-2018
Registered!!

connector

it has revealed itself!!!

Maybe it was just undercoating grease, If its a leak or slow leak, what should i look for and if i have to buy a new on, there are ones at 30$ and one at 130$, which would be better.

thx for the help guys!!
Old 01-31-2018

its a leak or slow leak
Pull the rubber cover back and see how much oil comes out of it, reclean as needed.

which would be better
The correct one?