Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Strwaberry Milkshake! Help me please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012
Honda Newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SocalGC is an unknown quantity at this point
Strwaberry Milkshake! Help me please...

2006 LX Coupe Automatic

So my car almost overheated the other day and when I went to check the coolant res. I saw the horrible pink sludge. I then pulled out the ATF dipstick and saw more pink sludge!

I assumed the ATF cooler busted and the coolant and ATF mixed and all hell broke loose, but upon further inspection of the rad. I noticed that there aren't any trans lines running into it.

So... where is it? and what the hell happened to my car

Can someone please help me figure this out, I'm in fear for my wallet.

Last edited by SocalGC; 10-08-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some stuff
Old 10-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strwaberry Milkshake! Help me please...

every honda that i know has a radiator cooler for the auto trans. keep looking, the hoses are there at the very bottom. look for the filter (#7) and follow the hoses.

Old 10-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This is THE FIRST I have heard of this problem happening.
How many miles on the car?

Pic above: Part #1 is the ATF cooler, it is a liquid/liquid heat exchanger bolted to the front of the trans.
That is the only place coolant and ATF can breach a seal and intermix.

I'm in fear for my wallet.
That trans is probably ruined. Coolant will delaminate clutch linings from the plates.

Only time will tell, and you should know pretty quick after you get it driving again.

I'm in fear for my wallet.
Next problem: Did the engine block crack to cause the initial coolant loss??? This could change everything if it was the cause of the original coolant loss.
Old 10-08-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they actually called #1 its correct term, "atf warmer"
Old 10-08-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gearbox
they actually called #1 its correct term, "atf warmer"
Why yes, yes it is. I didn't look.

Another thought: ATF inside the cooling system will ruin all the rubber parts from the inside out. All the hoses, the water pump seals, etc. A miserable job to try to clean it all out.
Old 10-09-2012
Premium Member

yeah im hoping that never happens. may as well call it a total loss and junk the car. the amount of money and labor wouldnt be worth replacing every hose and waterpump, plus a new trans and radiator. may be better to cut your losses and try to sell if the car still drives.
Old 10-09-2012
Honda Newb

My brother bought the car salvaged has 70500 miles

That most likely had a lot to do with this happening, so we're really going to lose a lot of dollars no matter what. It's just a matter of what he wants to do.

It really sucks a lot of ***** though, Thanks for the diagram!
Old 10-09-2012
Honda Newb

so I pulled the warmer and blew some air through the trans line while plugging the other end, heard air leaking through the coolant opening. so i guess that's the culprit.

What do you guys think could have caused this to happen? Could it just be a faulty part?
Old 10-09-2012

Originally Posted by SocalGC
Could it just be a faulty part?
Well, it sure as hell is faulty now.

Why was the car a salvage title? Could have been previously compromised in a crash or something. Any dents in it?

Really, no clue. This would be the first failure I have heard of.
Old 10-09-2012
Premium Member

that new "atf warmer" seems very iffy to me. no idea why they went that route instead of the usual sharing the radiator (which has issues as well but is proven over the long term).
Old 10-10-2012
Honda Newb

Originally Posted by ezone
Well, it sure as hell is faulty now.

Why was the car a salvage title? Could have been previously compromised in a crash or something. Any dents in it?

Really, no clue. This would be the first failure I have heard of.
There are signs that it had front end damage, specifically on the side where the ATF warmer is mounted but the part itself looks to be in perfect shape. (Externally)

that new "atf warmer" seems very iffy to me. no idea why they went that route instead of the usual sharing the radiator (which has issues as well but is proven over the long term).
it must be a decent design, being that I'm the only one you guys have heard of this happening to.
Old 10-10-2012
Honda Newb

You guys think I could use an aftermarket cooler in place of the factory piece and save about $100+
Old 10-10-2012

A reman trans should come attached to a new cooler.

EDIT: Yeah, you could try it. I don't see why you couldn't.
Old 10-11-2012
Premium Member

if that warmer is just bolted to the trans with a bracket, yeah take it out and use aftermarket cooler. just get a hose repair kit and join the coolant lines together (they have brass fittings that you clamp a hose to each side).
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Im curious if it could be saved. Seems like you going to try to save it?
Old 10-11-2012
Honda Newb

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Im curious if it could be saved. Seems like you going to try to save it?
Yea I'm going to try as best I can to save it, my brother can't afford another car right now since he's a student.
Old 10-11-2012

Originally Posted by SocalGC
Yea I'm going to try as best I can to save it, my brother can't afford another car right now since he's a student.
Start praying now.
Pray to the Deity of your choosing, but start praying now...

Not kidding.
Old 10-12-2012
Honda Newb

So this is what came out of the transmission.

Here I was thinking it was going to be bad...

Old 10-12-2012

You can only drain out about 2.5-3 quarts at a time. There are still about 5 (?) more quarts of that nasty stuff inside that you can't get in one try.

For as much as I frown upon machine flushes, this is actually one time where a flush machine might come in handy. You got nothing to lose except the price of a bunch of fluid, because I'm totally expecting you to need a trans no matter what.

Price a complete drivetrain, junkyard/used?
Old 10-13-2012
Honda Newb

Originally Posted by ezone
You can only drain out about 2.5-3 quarts at a time. There are still about 5 (?) more quarts of that nasty stuff inside that you can't get in one try.

For as much as I frown upon machine flushes, this is actually one time where a flush machine might come in handy. You got nothing to lose except the price of a bunch of fluid, because I'm totally expecting you to need a trans no matter what.

Price a complete drivetrain, junkyard/used?
What I did was direct the atf feed line from the cooler into a bucket and ran the car while simultaneously pouring fresh atf through the fill hole until it came out ruby red again. Total I used about 6 gallons of atf. Idk if that's what you meant by "machine" flush.

That first picture was the initial pulling of the drain plug. The second one is from the first round of "flushing"

Last edited by SocalGC; 10-13-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-13-2012

Total I used about 6 gallons of atf. Idk if that's what you meant by "machine" flush.
Close enough. I had no idea you did ALL that.
Old 10-13-2012
Premium Member

i would drive it around and see what comes out. even with the flush, i doubt you got all the nasty stuff out.
Old 10-13-2012
Honda Newb

i would drive it around and see what comes out. even with the flush, i doubt you got all the nasty stuff out.
That's a good idea, as soon as I get the new coolant temp sensors I'll drive it around a bit and do one more drain and fill. Then hopefully my brother can be back on the road in his car that can crap out at any moment lol
Old 10-18-2012
Honda Newb

well... she's back on the road and runnin!

All in all I replaced

Radiator
Radiator cap
Thermostat
Aftermarket ATF cooler
Ect sensor
Fan switch
Coolant
ATF

I used about 7 gallons of Atf to flush the transmission.

Total was about $300

Thanks for everyone's tips and ideas
Old 10-18-2012

Post back in this thread every now and then so we can see who wins the pool.....I mean see how long it lasts.