Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Any ideas for interior scratches on plastic???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any ideas for interior scratches on plastic???

I have a 2003 NBP EX , so I have the black interior, and just the other day I was hauling some stuff on the floor in the backseat, and ended up getting a pretty good scratch on the rear part of the center console, right above the cupholder. I also have a few on the plastic above my steering wheel in front of the gauges, which I don't know how those got there. They appear to be in the plastic, so they won't come off by rubbing or with Goo Gone (love that stuff!), so my question is, is there anything out there that will hide, fill in, or cover them up, short of using a black Sharpie??? Help me out! I've only had my car for 3 weeks, so I was when I saw them.
Old 06-17-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
if its deep...i think that you will be out of luck

i dont know of anything off-hand
Old 06-20-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
if its a suface thing, really really fine-grit sand paper can do wonderful things, it'll just make it look a little duller. as far as deep gashes...what he said^
Old 06-20-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by SkipBarber
if its a suface thing, really really fine-grit sand paper can do wonderful things, it'll just make it look a little duller. as far as deep gashes...what he said^
Thanks, I was thinking of maybe trying that. Hopefully it won't make it any worse. Nice avatar, BTW, White Pony is one of my favorite albums in the past few years.
Old 06-20-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
absolutely
Old 06-21-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
why dont you come to the next meet and let me take a look at it...i might be able to tell you what you could do
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

CIVICMAN67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why don't you try a butane torch? If you go quickly over the area it will some times fill in the gash itself, it is the darndest thing, but it works! If you go quick enough, it won't discolor!
Old 06-25-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by CIVICMAN67
Why don't you try a butane torch? If you go quickly over the area it will some times fill in the gash itself, it is the darndest thing, but it works! If you go quick enough, it won't discolor!
Wow, I never would have thought of that one. I believe you that it works, and I have a torch, but with my luck, I'd leave it on too long and end up with a melted pile of plastic goo where the scratch used to be. I actually found something that worked pretty well, it is called Black Chrome, and it restores black colored metal or plastic. It hid the scratch pretty well, although you can still see it somewhat, and feel it with your hand. Thanks for all the tips though guys!
Old 06-26-2003
jro
Registered!!

jro is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by AZD17A2
Wow, I never would have thought of that one. I believe you that it works, and I have a torch, but with my luck, I'd leave it on too long and end up with a melted pile of plastic goo where the scratch used to be. I actually found something that worked pretty well, it is called Black Chrome, and it restores black colored metal or plastic. It hid the scratch pretty well, although you can still see it somewhat, and feel it with your hand. Thanks for all the tips though guys!
turtle wax "black chrome" linkified

i guess this stuff is like mother's back to black stuff. i'll have to give this stuff a try on some small scratches on my interior.
-jro