Clearcoating a painted dash? - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2003   #1
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Exclamation Clearcoating a painted dash?

hey guys I just realised something.

Ok, so I finish painting my dash trims yesterday and decided not to clearcoat the 2 primers + 3 silver paint layers. I put together my dash, and then I started dusting and cleaning up the area.

I always read the directions, even after I've used it 5 million times. This time, "Not for use on ..., ..., glass, or painted surfaces" stood out to me. If I clearcoated the paint, then would I be able to use Armor-All or the type, on the painted trim right? But what if I decide to leave my painted dash as is, how will I clean it up without damaging the paint?

Thanks for your help, in advance.
XxSoVeReiGNxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003   #2
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
i would have cleared it even without thinking about the aftermath...

FALKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003   #3
Registered!!

repoman2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, always use a clear coat no matter what.
repoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003   #4
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
ok,

anyone here has big knowlege about spray paint?

what brand of clear coat has the same effect of clear coat in shop. A shop painted my spoiler and I see their clear coat. It is very nice, very durable, just like a 0.1mm clear plastic covering the original paint, you can use finger nail to scrach it and the no trace will e left on the clear coat....

anyone knows a good brand of clear coat spray?
orion_squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003   #5
Registered!!

repoman2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used the duplicolor paint and clear coat from pep boys and it has worked great. i have not used armour-all on it and probably would not but the duplicolor is a good clear coat.
repoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003   #6
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
i uses the duplicolor clear coat and i often get the wrinkling problem (see the other thread)..but it didn't not wrinkle on my lastest project tho. even tho i always use the same kind of paint. hm...have to keep experimenting
wonderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003   #7
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
hi

do not use laquar over enamel, you will have wrinkle unless you put many layer.

So, I did some research. For clear coating enamel, best is to use clear enamel. And best clear coat for part that will be touched scratched often, best is to use clear coat with ACRYLIC RESIN.

ok, here is the result, I simply used Krylon ACRYLIC CLEAR ENAMEL. The result is pretty great. However, I would suggest using it only ON PLASTICS, INSIDE THE CAR. I would not think it is good on fenders, hood etc. ALthought it says exterior/interior.
Old 07-17-2003   #8
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
hm...what makes you think that its only good for plastic? if u can give me the reason, that will be great...
i always saw the clear enamel, but i don't think it says to top coat anything...so i thought it was just another paint that's not very protective...
wonderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003   #9
Registered!!

Lucid484 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just painted my trims and engine parts using dupli color.And it works great inside and out..My engine cam out perfect and the inside didnt...so i was like what the hell it was all wrinkly.And then I realised that i didn't wash the trim first...Becaus honda puts a wax film on all plastic parts it screwed my paint up.So I sanded down all the trim and wahsed it,then re painted and damn! they looked perfect.Duplicolor is great for painting trim.What i did was wash teh parts with dawn.put 2 coats of the adhesion promoter/primer on ,then 3 coats of the paint and 2 coats of their clear coat!about $10 in paint did my inside trim and engine..And oh yeah I only waited 5 min between each coat (i have no patience =) ) but it's durable and looks fricken awesome!
Lucid484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003   #10
Registered!!

yeah,

acrylic clear coat enamel, use that. The reason I say ACRYLIC is better for updocoat paint on plastic is because ACRYLIC is a plastic resin and can form better bound on plastic. On outside of the car I will really not suggest any SPARY CAN. USE professional aerosol clear enamel, it will form a 0.5mm clear coat.

but must wait the paint to CURE totally if you can't bake the paint! (5-6 days) if you want best result. because it will lift your paint. For exemple, your primer is black and you paint your piece silver, if you don't wait it to cure totally, clear coat will lift the black color.

what I refer here are spray cans. I don't know how professional clear aerosol works, but I know those are the real good stuff if you have equipment and access to those paints.