Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

MEAN Green

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpatSi is an unknown quantity at this point
MEAN Green

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

I bought a 2001 Civic Si and would like to take good car of my car. I have a product called mean green... its an engine degreaser among other things. I just need to know what to cover up in the engine. Also can I use a power washer or should i just use a regular garden hose?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Never heard of it, but I am sure it is much like something called Simple Green, a biodegradeable multi-purpose cleaner. Cover up the ignition coil, air filter (if cai or sri equipped), battery posts, etc....anything electrical really. Best way is to use a slow stream of water as possible...maybe a garden hose would be your best tool...good luck!

2Hottie
Old 09-09-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Mean Green is 3 times stronger than Simple Green I use that sometimes. I also use Red Thunder which I found to be a better product then Mean Green. When I clean the motor in a 7th gen I do not cover anything but that is just me. I hose down the fenders first, the front end, the windshield and the hood. Mean green can streak and stain the paint. I then spray the complete engine compartment down and under the hood with the Mean Green. After that I go over everything in the engine and under hood with a soapy sponge. I then start the car and hose it off. I never hose off a car that is not running....I then let it run for 5 to 10 minutes to let the engine dry. After this I wipe down the motor with a clean rag and then spray Tire Shine over the whole motor, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe off the excess..
Old 09-20-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: civicdude
I then start the car and hose it off. I never hose off a car that is not running....I then let it run for 5 to 10 minutes to let the engine dry. [hr]
ehh? say what?? seriously? is this the way everyone else does it? everything ive ever heard is to leave the engine off and have it cool when cleaning it and drying it.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-20-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
You can leave it off while you hose it down if you really like, but im not promising you it will ever start again. Im just going by past experience. The cars that we hosed down while the engine was off, we always had problems with starting later.