Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Mothers CALIFORNIA GOLD CARNAUBA CLEANER WAX

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
Mothers CALIFORNIA GOLD CARNAUBA CLEANER WAX

This stuff is GREAT !!!!
brings out a really good shine makes the car look great....
I recommend it, and it is so easy to put on and take off
in one shot !!
just wanted to mention it..
Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Does that stuff work?? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Been dying to try it...saw it in an ad in SCC...BTW, like your screename...I take it you have been to England or live there??

2Hottie
Old 08-22-2002
Registered!!

mndthegap1 has a spectacular aura aboutmndthegap1 has a spectacular aura about
yeah it works great, definatly woth the money..
yeah went to Amsterdam twice, loved it !
Old 08-22-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Yeah it is an excellent cleaner wax. You may want to put a coat of carnuba over the cleaner wax because the cleaner wax is mostly cleaner and just a little wax. Excellent for cleaning but not so excellent for protecting your paint.
Old 08-25-2002
ak
Retired Mod

ak can only hope to improve
My friend tried it on his car.... not that great. I use Armorall Wax and it leaves a much thicker and smoother surface...not to mention a vanilla smell.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Does the cleaner wax get out all the swirl marks and stuff?? I have to pick some of that stuff up and try it....

2Hottie
Old 08-28-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Mothers is great... leaves no marks, and seems to get rid of a good bit of any marks that may be on the car. Smells good and wipes right off.
Old 08-28-2002
Registered!!

Cool, that will definitely will be going on the detailing shelf ...can't wait!

2Hottie
Old 09-02-2002
FIJI-STEVE IS THE OFFICIAL 7THGEN QUEER

Civicster should not be trusted
meguiars gold class or zaino only... any other stuff is just cheep stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2002
Registered!!

neoretromax is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Civicster
meguiars gold class or zaino only... any other stuff is just cheep stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![hr]

hehe not!!!!!!!! j/k mothers makes real quality products, at the same level as meguiars imo.
Old 09-20-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: Civicster
meguiars gold class or zaino only... any other stuff is just cheep stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![hr]
How can you say such a thing?....I guess you dont know much about different waxes that are on the market...Please dont talk when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
"civicdude"

what is "ZIP wax" from "turtle wax"? (those you mix in water and apply)

what is better for often application Mguire gold class or mothers carnauba? and is manauba alwasy a cleaner wax?

you told me "cleaner wax" is not good to be apply often, right?
Old 08-29-2003
Registered!!

Intermezzo is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not Civicdude, but.....

ZIP wax is a car wash made by TW that contains a small amount of wax mixed in with the soap. It's supposed to help rejuvinate an existing layer of wax. I think they market it as a wash & wax in one-step type of deal....but that's just marketing hype. There's no substitute for doing a real detail job on your car. I would stick with either Meguiar's Gold Class, Mother's California Gold or Eagle One's car washes.

Mother's has a few different type of wax products. Carnauba doesn't always have to be used in cleaner waxes only. They have both cleaner waxes as well as regular non-cleaning waxes that contain carnauba.

As for which wax is better...that's a personal preference. I like Mother's because it's much easier to use than Gold Class. Gold class has a bit of a "high-gloss" while Mother's products tend to be less glossy with more of a deeper, warmer shine.

A good one-step from Mother's is their Reflections Polish. Very easy to use...and lasts much longer than traditional waxes like Gold Class. Don't let the name confuse you. Mother's calls it a Polish, but it's really a synthetic wax that uses a different 'resin' as it's base. This is similar to the way Zaino calls it's synthetic product a polish...when it's really a polymer sealant.

Cleaner waxes should not be applied TOO often because they contain mild abrasives as well as stronger concentration of solvent cleaners than do regular waxes, but you're not hurting yourself at all by applying a coat every month or so. It's just that they're not as "paint-friendly" as a pure wax with no cleaners.

Also, keep in mind....Meguiar's Gold Class is also a cleaner wax (although they don't state it as such, check the MSDS).

My favorite over-the-counter wax product is Mother's Reflections and Meguiar's #26.

Last edited by Intermezzo; 08-29-2003 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2003
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by civicdude
How can you say such a thing?....I guess you dont know much about different waxes that are on the market...Please dont talk when you have no idea what you are talking about.
No offense BUT, if you are using Meguiars or Mothers then YOU have no idea what you are talking about. Anything you can get from Pepboys or a local parts store is total crap. If you want the good stuff you have to go to someplace that is for professional detailers such as www.griotsgarage.com
Old 08-30-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by bobbyd
No offense BUT, if you are using Meguiars or Mothers then YOU have no idea what you are talking about. Anything you can get from Pepboys or a local parts store is total crap. If you want the good stuff you have to go to someplace that is for professional detailers such as www.griotsgarage.com
Uh dude we arent talking about commercial products. Most of the members on this board dont have enough money to buy the commercial products....This topic is for people that shot at Pepboys or autozone....to buy their detailing products.

I usually use Commercial products but thats because I detail alot of cars and I need to buy product in bulk....I would reccomend a couple of products by Malco or 3m....but most of the people here do not have the ways of purchasing them.
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

hondaguy2582 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by bobbyd
Im a person that uses a lot of show car polymers and waxes, I can honestly tell you that your comments are absurd. To say that meguiars or mothers sucks is bogus. Just because you can't order it online doesn't mean that it isn't good. Theres a few good waxes that can be bought locally. Take for instance meguiars #20 polymer sealant, meguiars #26 high tech yellow wax, mothers reflections(polymer resin), Mother's pure carnauba; lets not also forget the glazes like mothers sealer and glaze, megs #7, and 3m imperial hand glaze. The last is the polishes, 3m swirl mark remover, 3m fine cut compound, megs #9 smr, and megs #3 machine glaze. A lot of your higher quality products from say meguiars and such are at body or painter shops in your area, so go have a look there to find other products that I haven't mentioned.

Back to my point, what matters most in detailing is prep(cleaning, claying, and polishing vehicle), 90% of the car's finish and protection will depend on it. The rest is a breeze if you can properly prep the car, and that goes for any product. Of course, some products are better than others, but thats why we experiment with all to see what we like. As quoted from Meguiar's rep Mike Phillips, "Find a product you like and stick with it."
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
For amateurs like me the last comment made alot of sense. I prolly couldn't tell the diff between off the shelf and pro stuff, and prolly wouldn't do it right anyways. I'll attempt my first full on polish & wax job this weekend (if it stops raining). After I get better at it I'll appreciate the finer points from the pros, and prolly step up to higher quality products. Point being: Every comment on this thread (and in the detailing forum) has been immensely helpful for my understanding of product selection and the art of detailing.