Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

paint crack on rims...

Old 07-18-2002
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
paint crack on rims...

yes i know i'm a mod but i have no idea whether if i could put this under here or under wheels/brakes/tires but since it has to do with paint and sealing it, just decided to post it here...

well i just got my rims and noticed there was a hairline crack in the paint, on the wheels.... i'm fine with it now cause you could barely see it and i got $10 back for it but i'm afraid its going to grow/get bigger later on. what can i use to prevent this? would a clearcoat work? if so what kind/how would i apply it?
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
A crack in any paintjob invites moisture and dirt and oxygen, things that paint does not like and makes it crack more, if you do not get it taken care of it will worsen, First off are the rims painted? Or are they like polished/brushed metal?

To answer your last question, yes cleaning the rim very well and clearcoating it again will prevent the crack from spreading and if its thing im sure they can even buff it out so its almost un noticeable, I would suggest taking it to a professional and getting it done, and not trying to buy aerosol clearcoat and DIY.
Old 07-26-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
its both polished and painted.. mainly painted tho, and thats where the paint crack is...its not noticable from far away, only if your all up close to the rim. so ya i'm not too worried about the looks, i just dont want it to spread... the wheels weren't painted to good so maybe i could get focal to paint them under warranty? is focal even around cause i heard they discontinued all their wheels. and do i even have a warranty? guess i'll find out when i call...
Old 07-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
Alot of companies do not warranty their rims because they are continuously subjected to road hazzards, I would go and get another shot of clear on that rim though shouldnt cost you more than 30-40 bucks.