Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Clay Bar-How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TObleRONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Clay Bar-How Often?

I just used the clay bar for the first time and am impressed with the results. The car's finish is smooth as glass and very shiny, thanks to a coat of Meguire's Gold Class Wax. But can anyone tell me how often I should use the clay bar? The directions suggest everytime you wash the car, but that seems awfully labor intensive. Besides, aren't you supposed to wax your car immediately after using the clay bar? Any help would be appreciated...
Old 05-14-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Yes you are supposed to wax the paint right after you clay it. I only clay my car when it needs to be clayed. Since I wash my car once a week and wax it every other week I only clay my car once before the winter and once after the winter. You dont have to clay the car every time you was it, and you really shouldnt unless the surface has dirt in it.
Old 05-15-2002
Registered!!

DarkCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm taking my first attempt at a claybar this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

CIVIlized is an unknown quantity at this point
Clay Bar is the Shi* you can really tell the difference
Old 05-18-2002
Premium Member

The Clay Bar has been around for a long time but it was never for the consumer market. I worked in a detailing shop in the early 90's and my boss was using it. I had no idea what it was but he told me that it gets rid of all the dirt in the paint. I couldnt believe that a piece of clay could do that.
Old 05-18-2002
Registered!!

JSH2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently used a clay bar for the first time and I must say I am very impressed. It made my car feel so smooth. I am not sure how often you should use it but I was thinking that you would just use it whenever the surface of your car starts feeling rough again.
Old 05-19-2002
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Don't they use Clay bars to remove overspray sometimes?

well, anyway, i think i'm gonna do an entire car detail tomorrow after school, my sister won't be home so i'll be able to get eh entire house to myself. I haven't done anythign to it since winter [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] I should really give it a nice cleaning [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

I think that i'll get some of those microfiber cloths first because of that other post about how wel it removes wax, then i'll wash it, give it a nice clay baring and then layer on some glaze and then wax [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] i'm so excited [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

OUTLAW is an unknown quantity at this point
Depending on the weather and where you park you car. Covered car only every 6 months, but if you park outside with a lot of factories or chemical fallout (gases and smoke, etc.) then every 3 months just to make sure no harsh residues etch and destroy your paint. But after all that bull it is up to you.
Old 05-24-2002
Premium Member

<< Don't they use Clay bars to remove overspray sometimes?

well, anyway, i think i'm gonna do an entire car detail tomorrow after school, my sister won't be home so i'll be able to get eh entire house to myself. I haven't done anythign to it since winter [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] I should really give it a nice cleaning [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

I think that i'll get some of those microfiber cloths first because of that other post about how wel it removes wax, then i'll wash it, give it a nice clay baring and then layer on some glaze and then wax [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] i'm so excited [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
>>

Yes, They have been using the Clay bar in body shops for a long time to remove over spray.
Old 06-10-2002
Registered!!

Soulphire is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Guys,

Just did a search on Glaze and came up with nada results. Can someone tell me what this product does, who makes it and where i can get it.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 06-10-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Mother's has an excellent Clay Bar kit out...has the clay bar and some juice to lubricate the bar when running it over your paint, something like Meguiar's Quick Detailer or something....I think they sell that in places like Pep Boys or Auto Zone...it basically gets all the dirt and contaminants that are embedded deep down in the paint that cannot be gotten off by traditional washing...supposed to make your paint mirror like...

2Hottie
Old 06-11-2002
Premium Member

I use a commercial clay bar. I find that mothers and meguires clays are too brittle, and they do not move on the paint to well. If you want to use a better glay, I would pick up the Clay Bar that is made by 3M. You will pay more for it but you are getting a better product.
Old 06-11-2002
Premium Member

[hr]Originally posted by: Soulphire
Hey Guys,

Just did a search on Glaze and came up with nada results. Can someone tell me what this product does, who makes it and where i can get it.

Thanks,

Rich[hr]
Rich: Glaze removes swirl marks and also removes minor imperfections in the paint, like small light scratches. Glaze also makes the paint glossy, and smooth. There are plenty of Glaze products on the market. I use 3 M hand Glaze and also Meguires #7 Glaze. When you apply glaze make sure you do it in a back and forth motion, not a circular motion. If you use a circular motion you are actually causing more swirls or making existing swirl marks worse. If I use the 3M glaze, I wipe it on one panel at a time, and then wipe it off. Do not let it dry. It will smear when you wipe it off. After you glaze the car, wax it with a good carnuba wax. If you use Meguires Glaze, Apply it to the whole car in a back and forth motion, and let it dry for 30 minutes. Then wipe it off in the same back and forth motion, and apply a good carnuba wax.

Old 06-13-2002
Registered!!

Wilkey is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to try the claybar this weekend...that is..if weather permits. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-13-2002
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: TObleRONE
I just used the clay bar for the first time and am impressed with the results. The car's finish is smooth as glass and very shiny, thanks to a coat of Meguire's Gold Class Wax. But can anyone tell me how often I should use the clay bar? The directions suggest everytime you wash the car, but that seems awfully labor intensive. Besides, aren't you supposed to wax your car immediately after using the clay bar? Any help would be appreciated...[hr]
I do it every time I wash the car. I travel on the high way alot, and I get mad bugs caked on my car. Takes it off in a jiff!

Old 06-18-2002
Registered!!

ATLCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
let me know what kind of clay bar you used i need to do it to mine bad

mjk
Old 06-23-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
ok noob question here..

wat exactly does the claybar do?
Old 06-23-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
it removes the little stubborn dirt and bug particles that will not come off in a regular wash, its really cool, it doesnt hurt your paint, at first when this guy showed it to me i thought he was nuts, and then he did it on my car and made me see how different it was, ive been hooked ever since. lol