Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

can't get windows clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejin267 is an unknown quantity at this point
can't get windows clean

I have tried cleaning with cotton and microfiber clothes, paper towels, and even newspaper but no matter what I can't get these freaking greasy looking streaks off of my windows. I use rain_x automotive glass cleaner (not the version that has the water repellent solution in it). This is on the inside of my vehicle, any suggestions or solutions?
Old 08-14-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: can't get windows clean

the grease is actually fumes off gassing from plastic interior parts when you park the car outside with windows up on a hot day. usually a dry microfiber should take care of it. i would not recommend any "window cleaners" other than water because they ALL leave residue. water is what you need. but try a dry microfiber or slightly damp. if not then wet with water and go over it with a dry microfiber. do not let air dry. i would recommend cotton cloth over microfiber tho because sometimes the microfiber leaves lint behind.
Old 04-18-2014
Registered!!

Ghettochild2600 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that using steel wool #0000 or #000 works very well at removing streaks/waterspots and doesn't leave scratches. Use them dry and then use invisible glass and a microfiber towel to finish. Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
the grease is actually fumes off gassing from plastic interior parts when you park the car outside with windows up on a hot day. usually a dry microfiber should take care of it. i would not recommend any "window cleaners" other than water because they ALL leave residue. water is what you need. but try a dry microfiber or slightly damp. if not then wet with water and go over it with a dry microfiber. do not let air dry. i would recommend cotton cloth over microfiber tho because sometimes the microfiber leaves lint behind.
Yep I agree with you. I use a dry micro fiber towel and with some pressure the streaks some come right off.