Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

What's happening to my car's paint?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vagalati is an unknown quantity at this point
What's happening to my car's paint?????

Recently (~1 week) I noticed some spots on my car's paint. The paint is becoming dull while the spots are clear. Rubbing with my bare hand makes it nice and shiny again but some of the paint stays on my finger.. what the?

I had it detailed (no wax) and its looked nice and shiny for about a day or two then again the same... Pics attached. Can I save it from further damage?
It's '98 LX
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-06_07-50-39_981.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	83635   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-06_07-50-47_960.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	83636   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-06_07-51-03_507.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	83637  
Old 07-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's happening to my car's paint?????

clear coat failure. you need a whole new paint job. paint on a clear coated car should never rub off unless the clear is gone and the paint is damaged.
Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

let me guess acura legend same thing happened to my old legend it looked just like that. its from lack of up keep on the paint.
Old 08-09-2012
Registered!!

kami6666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your clear coat is gone. You can mask off the car, buy some clear coat in cans (unless you have air spray equipment), and spray the clear coat on. If you do it yourself, it shouldn't cost more that a couple of hundreds.
Old 08-12-2012
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

go to harbor freight, buy a variable speed sander/polisher ($40) and some compounding pads. Buy Meguiars ultimate polish. This one only. Try polishing it up before you go spraying anything, you'd be surprised you can do with some compounding. Then polish it and wax it if your successful. If not then you already have the equipment and the practice to compound and polish when you redo the clear.
Old 09-13-2012
Registered!!

vagalati is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:
I had the car washed, not detailed as I mentioned before. The paint is generally dull but after rubbing with my finger the surface becomes nice'n'shiny and a lot of black sticky dirt stays on my skin. I guess the cheap carwash doesn't do much cleaning after all... but at least makes those "clean spots" go away.
Btw, the paint that stays on my finger that I mentioned in my first message comes from an area where there's a scratch and it doesn't happen everywhere.

I've had the car washed about a week ago and I noticed those "clear spots" showing up again... smaller in the beginning but they enlarge with time, especially after sun/temperature exposure. The "clear spots" are sticky and I noticed that they are all over my car, not just the paint... even on the windows! See the attached photo.

Weird... it feels like some kind of resin. I park the car usually under trees to protect it from sun exposure so maybe those spots come from them?

Unfortunately I don't have time to spend on deep-cleaning the car so I'll have it detailed; I don't want all this dirt to damage the paint longterm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-13_13-07-28_95.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	83997  
Old 09-15-2012
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

That's fall out from the trees you park under. Sap or pollen or something. It will take a lot of work to remove it. Be prepared for a large bill from the detailer.
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

dabrybry is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like the clear is gone/going. You can make it look better in the sort term but clay barring it then buffing. But if the clear is bad it won't last long and will only look good for a couple weeks at most. New paint job is in order gl mate
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dabrybry
Sounds like the clear is gone/going. You can make it look better in the sort term but clay barring it then buffing. But if the clear is bad it won't last long and will only look good for a couple weeks at most. New paint job is in order gl mate
If it were the clear coat it wouldn't be affecting the windows. It obviously something from above the car. Since he parks under trees, that is most likely where it is coming from.
Old 11-03-2012
Registered!!

dabrybry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm..that is a very good point. Well if it's not the clear coat and it IS infact something coming from above...you have a lot of clay barring to do lol