Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

tar on wheels AHHHHH

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006
PWIT
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
tar on wheels AHHHHH

so i got tar on my rims. i tried to use my rim cleaner (mcguiers) and now the little bit that did come off left like a yellowish color as if its taking the polish off my polished lip. is there a way to fix this with out ruining my rims.
Old 08-11-2006
Registered!!

acchione is on a distinguished road
wax. if you get what you can off w/ your fingernail or whatever you can use w/ out scratching the wheel. then use some elbow grease and an old towel and rub until the tar comes right off. I've had the tar problem many times and every year i just use wax and it all comes off.

your wheels will shine like new when you're done.
Old 08-11-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
liquid wax? or the paste stuff? when i was using the wheel cleaner it looks like it oxidized the polished lip.
Old 08-11-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Bug and tar remover... Just read the package, most of them these days are clearcoat safe.
Old 08-11-2006
PWIT

i was afraid it will mess up the polish. ill look into it. so as long as its clear coat safe it shouldnt mess up the lip?
Old 08-11-2006
Registered!!

acchione is on a distinguished road
i used paste wax, worked very well.
Old 08-11-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
the reason its turning a yellow color is that your spreading the tar around. The bug and tar remover is stronger than the wheel cleaner it works pretty good. you'll still have to scrub a bit. If you wax your wheels like you do your car the tar wont stick as bad.
Old 08-11-2006
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
the polished lip on your wheel is clear-coated, so the bug and tar remover will work just fine...wash the wheel after youve cleaned it though
Old 08-11-2006
PWIT

w00t will do first thing tomorrow. or maybe tonight if i get done with work before sundown lol.
Old 08-13-2006
PWIT

ok just finished cleaning the tar off my wheels. my hand and arm is sore from rubbing so hard. but i still have a problem. i still have the yellow color all over my wheel. and on the black spokes when i cleaned it off it turned green lol so now i have black/green speekled rims need some help on how to get rid of the yellow now. lol
Old 08-14-2006
I Pinch.

Sinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of lightSinisterdexter is a glorious beacon of light
I say do it to the other rims so you have a matching set.
Old 08-14-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by CenZ
ok just finished cleaning the tar off my wheels. my hand and arm is sore from rubbing so hard. but i still have a problem. i still have the yellow color all over my wheel. and on the black spokes when i cleaned it off it turned green lol so now i have black/green speekled rims need some help on how to get rid of the yellow now. lol
gasoline (don't smoke)
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
try rubbing alcohol on small spot
Old 08-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Get some 409 and that should help some. Or use some simple green, the worlds best degreaser.