Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

the 5 step....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006
ultra super duper member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
the 5 step....

the most detailing i have done on my car was when i waxed it a year ago with the good ol green bottle of turtle wax.. and i thought that was fine..
but now i see that my paint is looking bad, so i have been looking around for a good process to use to bring it back.
ive heard of the 3 step (wash, polish, wax, right?) but i just didnt seem like enough.. this seems a little more like what i need
what do you guys think?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ars+three+step

it basically goes:
1.wash
2.clay (surface defects)
3.paint cleaner (under the surface defects)
4.polish (nourish the newly cleaned paint)
5.wax (protect all that hard work)

opinions?
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
thats the way i do it except i use mother since i ahve a lot of it. That will definitly bring the paint back
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

minorc will become famous soon enough
I wash with simonitz or whatever, then clay bar, then polish and finish er off with a coat of wax.
Old 08-05-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 01vic
the most detailing i have done on my car was when i waxed it a year ago with the good ol green bottle of turtle wax.. and i thought that was fine..
but now i see that my paint is looking bad, so i have been looking around for a good process to use to bring it back.
ive heard of the 3 step (wash, polish, wax, right?) but i just didnt seem like enough.. this seems a little more like what i need
what do you guys think?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ars+three+step

it basically goes:
1.wash
2.clay (surface defects)
3.paint cleaner (under the surface defects)
4.polish (nourish the newly cleaned paint)
5.wax (protect all that hard work)

opinions?
A few notes. Claying does not remove ANY defects, it only removes surface contaminates like old wax and pollution so that you are working with a totally clean and smooth surface. The paint cleaner is what you will use to remove the actual defects. I also suggest that you wash again after claying, you will be happier with the end result. Also remember that 2 thin coats of wax are better than one thick coat. Otherwise it looks good.
Old 08-05-2006
ultra super duper member

01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
good, im glad i finally found a solid foundation to work with

one other question too though. i have a huge bottle of Blue Coral caranuba car wash to still use up... can i just continue to use this or should i give it to somebody and switch that over to some other brand
Old 08-06-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Carnuba car wash? Thats a new one. Its probably just the Blue Coral High Foaming wash. Just use that up. I always suggest using a soap from the company that made the wax you use. For example, I use Meguiars NXT soap and wax. They are typically formulated to work best together, therefore keeping the protection longer.
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
When you are about to use the clay bar the car should be dry right? And if you wanted to use a product like scratch-x to remove scratches, would you do this before or after the clay bar?
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I dont think your has to be that dry, but I dry it anyways, and you use scratch-x after claybaring.
Old 08-17-2006

^^exactly. It doesnt NEED to be dry, but it helps. Make sure you use a lubricant though or it won't work. Then after that wash it again and then use your scratch-x now that your working with a bare surface.
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
ok thx