the 5 step.... - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2006   #1  
ultra super duper member

01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
the 5 step....

the most detailing i have done on my car was when i waxed it a year ago with the good ol green bottle of turtle wax.. and i thought that was fine..
but now i see that my paint is looking bad, so i have been looking around for a good process to use to bring it back.
ive heard of the 3 step (wash, polish, wax, right?) but i just didnt seem like enough.. this seems a little more like what i need
what do you guys think?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ars+three+step

it basically goes:
1.wash
2.clay (surface defects)
3.paint cleaner (under the surface defects)
4.polish (nourish the newly cleaned paint)
5.wax (protect all that hard work)

opinions?
01vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #2  
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
thats the way i do it except i use mother since i ahve a lot of it. That will definitly bring the paint back
Civicman1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #3  
Registered!!

minorc will become famous soon enough
I wash with simonitz or whatever, then clay bar, then polish and finish er off with a coat of wax.
minorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #4  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01vic
the most detailing i have done on my car was when i waxed it a year ago with the good ol green bottle of turtle wax.. and i thought that was fine..
but now i see that my paint is looking bad, so i have been looking around for a good process to use to bring it back.
ive heard of the 3 step (wash, polish, wax, right?) but i just didnt seem like enough.. this seems a little more like what i need
what do you guys think?

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ars+three+step

it basically goes:
1.wash
2.clay (surface defects)
3.paint cleaner (under the surface defects)
4.polish (nourish the newly cleaned paint)
5.wax (protect all that hard work)

opinions?
A few notes. Claying does not remove ANY defects, it only removes surface contaminates like old wax and pollution so that you are working with a totally clean and smooth surface. The paint cleaner is what you will use to remove the actual defects. I also suggest that you wash again after claying, you will be happier with the end result. Also remember that 2 thin coats of wax are better than one thick coat. Otherwise it looks good.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #5  
ultra super duper member

01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
good, im glad i finally found a solid foundation to work with

one other question too though. i have a huge bottle of Blue Coral caranuba car wash to still use up... can i just continue to use this or should i give it to somebody and switch that over to some other brand
01vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #6  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Carnuba car wash? Thats a new one. Its probably just the Blue Coral High Foaming wash. Just use that up. I always suggest using a soap from the company that made the wax you use. For example, I use Meguiars NXT soap and wax. They are typically formulated to work best together, therefore keeping the protection longer.
Old 08-17-2006   #7  
Registered!!

Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
When you are about to use the clay bar the car should be dry right? And if you wanted to use a product like scratch-x to remove scratches, would you do this before or after the clay bar?
Vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #8  
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I dont think your has to be that dry, but I dry it anyways, and you use scratch-x after claybaring.
DDragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006   #9  

^^exactly. It doesnt NEED to be dry, but it helps. Make sure you use a lubricant though or it won't work. Then after that wash it again and then use your scratch-x now that your working with a bare surface.
Old 08-18-2006   #10  
Registered!!

Vexorg is an unknown quantity at this point
ok thx
Vexorg is offline   Reply With Quote