Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Applying and removing polish/sealant

Old 07-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Applying and removing polish/sealant

Hi,

I am still pretty new to this, I have a PC 7336 and I have used it only once so far with a pretty good results.

I just wanted some advice on procedure mainly with removing the product. Im currently applying Menzerna FPII with the the PC with the white LC pad and removing with a micro fibre buffing cloth and then applying Four Star UPP with the black LC pad and removing with another micro fibre buffing cloth.

Now is my procedure ideal in terms of applying and removing product?? would I be better off removing product with a buffing bonnet using the PC? or stick with a microfiber buffing cloth? if so does anyone have recomendations on which to purchase (current ones need replacing anyway)

Also, is it better to apply the Four Star UPP sealant by hand to apply thinner? i was told to use the yellow application pads, is this better than PC application with the black LC pads? and again is it better to remove the product by hand with the micro fiber cloth or via PC and a buffing bonnet.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by k-man
Now is my procedure ideal in terms of applying and removing product?? would I be better off removing product with a buffing bonnet using the PC? or stick with a microfiber buffing cloth? if so does anyone have recomendations on which to purchase (current ones need replacing anyway)
Me personally, I've always preferred taking off the product by hand with a good microfiber towel. I've never used the Menzerna, but I know the UPP comes off pretty easily. So other than less elbow grease, I don't see too much of a benefit in using the PC to remove product.

I personally like Poorboys MF towels (danase.com); they're pricey, but do a great job. Cobra MF towels are pretty good too (autogeek.net). If you want Micro Fiber towels that are cost effective, Costco has a 12 pack of MF towels for about $9. They do the trick at removing wax, etc..., but they suck at cleaning windows.

Also, is it better to apply the Four Star UPP sealant by hand to apply thinner? i was told to use the yellow application pads, is this better than PC application with the black LC pads? and again is it better to remove the product by hand with the micro fiber cloth or via PC and a buffing bonnet.
I prefer to apply UPP by PC. The PC generally applies a pretty thin coat of product to begin with. The trick is not to apply too much product to the pad. I usually put a pea-sized drop to atmost, a dime sized one. Anymore product just gets wiped away anyways. On a side note, the only thing I apply by hand are paste waxes, like carnauba. It's a matter of preference really...

Now... you're fine using the black pad for applying the UPP. That what I use. The yellow pad is a cutting pad. It's used to apply swirl removers, compounds, etc... The black pad is more of a finishing pad which is great for applying sealants and waxes. Hope that helps.
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

so no one really uses a buffing bonnet on their PC?

Also, how long should I leave UPP on before removing? and is one layer good? is the black LC pad ok for layering?
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by k-man
so no one really uses a buffing bonnet on their PC?

Also, how long should I leave UPP on before removing? and is one layer good? is the black LC pad ok for layering?
In reference to the bonnet, it boils down to preference. The only thing I can say is buy a quality micro fiber bonnet and give it a try. Detailing consists of alot of experimentation. Some things you'll like; others you won't.

For the UPP, I usually leave it on for atleast 15 minutes. 4* recommends this to allow it to bond properly. One layer is usually good; that's what I do. You could do two layers to make sure you covered all the surface (you do have to wait 24 hours to allow the 1st coat to cure before applying the 2nd).

Lastly, LC pads in general are okay for layering. Just don't use the same pad to apply several products. Wash the pad before applying a different product with it. It's not so much the pads you have to worry about, but the products you're using in regards to layering. Some products may not bond well together or some have cleaners that will strip away any product underneath it.

If you haven't already, check out www.autopia.org detailing forums.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

awesome, thanks for the info man

i think i'll stick with the MF to remove product

oh and i just though of one last thing.....

im planning on purchasing two MF buffing cloths, one sealant applicator, one polish applicator and one glass MF cloth........

the applicators are for areas that the PC cant reach and the MF buffing cloths are one each for removing the polish and UPP respectively

do you think this is enough or should i get more??

thanks

Last edited by k-man; 07-31-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

^^^No problem for the help.

For me, that would sound like enough, but I would get an extra MF towel or two just to be on the safe side. Alright, good luck.
Old 07-31-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Next time check out the Meguiars MF bonnet for your PC. Its great at removing the leftover wax. Then just follow it up with a towel for the tight spots. Like mogwai said, its all preference. Nothin wrong with doing it by hand though!