Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

scratch x...how do i use it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
scratch x...how do i use it?

ok i did a forum search and the ones related to this topic are already expired. i just got a tube of scratch x. i read the instructions. so what i did was use a foam applicator, put some of the scratch x stuff on it, and applied on the scratches. i then waited for a while and then wiped it off. the scratches didn't go away!

is there a step that i am skipping or something? please help.

thanks
Old 04-22-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
use kit scratch out. works good but not for deep scratches. apply, buff off, and cover with wax.
Old 04-23-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
you dont just put it on and let it sit. Read the bottle. You have to work it for about two minutes or so in a small area. You may have to do a few applications. ScratchX is a great product, its the best scratch remover I have ever used.
Old 04-23-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
oh so its not like other products that just fill the scratches? this actually removes them?
Old 04-23-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by soonercivic
you dont just put it on and let it sit. Read the bottle. You have to work it for about two minutes or so in a small area. You may have to do a few applications. ScratchX is a great product, its the best scratch remover I have ever used.
this is what the directions say on the bottle:
Wash car first to remove loose dirt and fresh contaminants. Test on small, inconspicuous area first. Apply small amount of product, evenly to a cool surface (always in the shade), using a foam applicator or soft, clean 100% cotton terry towel. Work one section at a time and let product dry before removing excess with a separate clean, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel, turning to a clean portion for the final wipe. Do not use on unpainted vinyl or rubber surfaces. For durable high gloss, immediately follow with an application of Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax to enhance and protect the restored finish.
just wondering, can a microfiber be used to substitute for the terry towel? Or can I just use the other side of the foam applicator to wipe the stuff off? btw, i wanted to use this product for scratches only. for swirl marks, i'm not sure because i did some research and came up with 2 products
1. quik clay detailing system
2. deep crystal system paint cleaner

i don't know which of the two i need or if i need both. also, i remember gearbox recommended show car glaze #7 for swirl marks. does that just mask the marks or removes them? also, do you do before waxing? so i would have to use scratch x first, then glaze, then wax. i'll probably go with the recommended gold class clear coat wax although many have recommended nxt tech wax.

thanks for all your help.
Old 04-23-2006
Premium Member

glaze is a polish that actually acts as a minor abrasive. its main function is to put oils back into the paint for a glossy look but it may also fix scratches. you do this first and then wax. before glaze, you can use a clay bar. its alot of work tho but all that does is remove contaminants. the paint cleaner does the same as a clay bar but not as well. DONT use nxt wax. it maybe lasts a month or two before breaking down and doesn't look much better than regular. I'm using turtle wax ultra gloss and it lasts a good while longer and also looks way shinier even tho most wax is for protection only, not looks. If you just want a wax that will last long, use KIT. I put that on before winter and it comes out just fine.
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Ok I'm UBER-NEW when it comes to anything past a nice wash of my car

I'm sure I have swirl marks, not 100% sure how to remove them.
BUT my issue now is, I have many many surface scratches!! None that really go down to the metal - what is the best way to remove or fix these.
Retard-plain english please!
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

MagicMarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Honda01

BUT my issue now is, I have many many surface scratches!! None that really go down to the metal - what is the best way to remove or fix these.
Visit megiars.com

You'll find a lot of good answers there.
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

Pitch_BlacK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Honda01

AUTOGLYM is the brand that i use. Its also what the honda dealership here use for their cars.
Old 04-30-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pitch_BlacK
AUTOGLYM is the brand that i use. Its also what the honda dealership here use for their cars.

And as we all know Honda dealerships are the epitomy of paint care.
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

So all in all, do you recommend scratch-X to remove light scratches... so long as you 'work it in for a few min'?

... in another detailing thread I read, I was told that you really need not clay-bar the car if it's only 5 years old or so...
I did it on my old 1991 civic the past few years (sold now), and it makes the paint feel brand new, you won't find any contaminants on it anymore!
Though it is an a$$ load of work!!... I ponder - if you're car is only a few years old, would giving it a good spounge* down with dish detergant (a degreaser) not would equally well, before applying a polish/glaze, then wax?
Old 05-22-2006

Yes I strongly recommend ScratchX for removal of scratches and swirls by hand.

I claybar my car AT LEAST twice per year. Washing with a dish detergent will get the old wax off, but will leave bonded surface contaminates. I wish people would stop using dish soap, it actually strips the paint of its natural oils, and few people use a real polish to replace that. Clay barring isnt that much work, you just need the clay bar and a lubricant, then you rub it around on the surface and your done. I can clay my car in about 10 minutes depending on how bad it was.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

MeguiarsEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to use ScratchX by hand to remove defects like these,

Scratches

Swirls

Bird Dropping Etchings

Water spots

Scuff and Mars

++= SUCCESS

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe on, work in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and work the product in with a little passion.

Here is how to remove a bird dropping etching or an isolated scratch.

Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller

You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions

Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.

Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times

When I apply ScratchX like I have listed above, I am able to get out about 95% of a bird dropping etching or isolated random scratches.

The trick is to work the product in until it just begins to disappear and to apply more than one application. You see, the ScratchX, like all Meguiar's Paint Cleaners, contain a diminishing abrasive, as you work ScratchX in, the microscopic diminishing abrasives gently abrade the surface removing small particles of paint. But as you work it in, these diminishing abrasives breakdown. Thus, they quit abrading the finish and actually polish the finish to a clear, high gloss. This diminishing action turned polishing action is a benefit to you because it enable you to work out defects without leaving scratches behind.

Because the diminishing abrasive breakdown, you need to re-apply and repeat the process until the defects are removed.

Note: You can rarely remove a bird dropping etching, or a scratch, from a clear-coated finish with one application.

"A little technique goes a long way"

ScratchX works, if you work it. It takes a little practice to get the hang of removing defects out of modern clear coats with hi-tech products like ScratchX. It' not like the old days with a traditional lacquer or enamel paint job where you could apply some old-fashioned rubbing compound and in a few passes, the scratch would be gone, (and so would a lot of your paint).

High gloss clear coats are thin delicate surface coatings that are easily dulled and easily scratched. Once they are dulled down and/or scratched, it takes the right product, the right technique together with the human element of care and passion to massage them back to a glistening gemstone.

Have patience, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

just curious, how deep of a scratch can this product get?

i'm thinking for the deeper scratches i should use touch up paint right?
Old 05-23-2006

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then its too deep to remove and will require touch up or repainting. With enough time and effort, ScratchX can get any other scratch out.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

MeguiarsEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you've worked Scratch X 4-5 times and where unable to remove the scratch it probably a little deeper than you think and its going to require a machine to take off or have it repainted.

Originally Posted by Eclectic
just curious, how deep of a scratch can this product get?

i'm thinking for the deeper scratches i should use touch up paint right?
Old 05-23-2006
Premium Member

hmm i might have to try this. the body shop did a bad job sanding off my painted pinstripes, and now there's tons of scratches. the kit helps but after a while it comes back again. i'll get some X and try it out.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

This product is pure sex.
No other way to describe it.
It works amazingly.
Took off 90% of the scratches...... and those that were a little deeper, it made them slightly less noticable!

Takes some elbow grease - my car had tons of them... i'm going to give it a light wash and a 2nd coat of wax this week, then you'll see the pictures!!
Couldn't have been more pleased with the results
Old 05-23-2006

Glad it worked for you. One nice thing about Meguiars products in their diminishing abrasives, they break down into a polish at a certain point so that you can't over-do it.
Old 05-24-2006
Premium Member

well thanks everyone. i went out and did all the pinstripe spots they sanded and messed up. and well i cant see any scratch during the day like before. still waiting to see under street lamps, but the paint feels so smooth now. I'm sure it did some good.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

Pictures!

As promised, here is just an example of how good scratch X is.
Before

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5836/dsc008396qg.jpg

and after

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8292/dsc008490oi.jpg

Last edited by Honda01; 06-02-2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-02-2006
Premium Member

haha holy crap thats crazy. i didnt even work on mine that much but those scratches arent even obvious anymore. its great stuff.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Results looks good, I should give this a try.
Old 06-02-2006
Premium Member

i have a pretty deep scratch on my hood i should try tonight. i'll post if it works. i thought it was only for clear coat scratch cause those pics look pretty severe up there.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

Give it a try, it won't hurt it.
Worse to worse you waste some time.

It worked on some deeper scratches that I didn't think it would.
and it didn't work on others...

The scratches in the first picture look even worse with a different angle! This stuff worked well - I had a ton of scratches under the doorhandle - looks like she wore alot of big rings when she opened the door....all gone
Old 06-02-2006

Its a great product, but if you have a scratch through the clear coat, nothing will get it out. You can make it look better, but thats about it.
Old 06-02-2006
Premium Member

ya i had one about an inch long on the door that it didn't help at all. was just too deep
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

JohnnyLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
works pretty well, especiialy on black

keep out of the heat

Last edited by JohnnyLondon; 06-27-2006 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost