Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

POLISH & WAX

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zackde is an unknown quantity at this point
POLISH & WAX

guys......

what is the difference bet. these 2???.......both of them will make ur car shiny of course but what is the difference??......should i apply it both??.....which must be applied first??[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
someone correct me if im wrong, but i think polish is for older cars, it strips away a little bit of the surface of the paint to get some of the original shine back, if your car looks new once its cleaned and waxed you shouldnt use polish
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
First things first. Prepping the car to be waxed is the most important step of the process.

Polish helps to clean the paint, remove swirls, conditions the paint, and restores and brings out the rich shine in your paint.

Wax is simply a protectant for that deep, polished shine you accomplished in the prior step.

Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

zackde is an unknown quantity at this point
an idea if POLISHING or WAXING a 2 month old car will do any harm on the paint??
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

<< an idea if POLISHING or WAXING a 2 month old car will do any harm on the paint?? >>

Nah, I just got mine 2 weeks ago and its black. Polishing helps get all the contaminants and such off the paint. Keep in mind that the car actually picks up stuff from the exhaust off the cars in front of you.

Wax will help protect that new car shine and fresh paint. Keep it waxed, I suggest once in the fall and spring, and it will stay looking new for a very, very, long time.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

JSWhaler is an unknown quantity at this point
Diznavis is right, polish is usually used on older cars. There is really no need for it on such a new car. Just wash regularly (weekly) and keep a good coat of wax on it.
Old 03-12-2002
Registered!!

<< Diznavis is right, polish is usually used on older cars. There is really no need for it on such a new car. Just wash regularly (weekly) and keep a good coat of wax on it. >>

You can wax all you want, but you will never get the shine, luster, or brillance that polish produces. Also, if you are not polishing, you are simply applying wax over a contaminated, dirty surface.
Old 03-12-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough

<< Diznavis is right, polish is usually used on older cars. There is really no need for it on such a new car. Just wash regularly (weekly) and keep a good coat of wax on it. >>

i think your getting mixed up with polishing compound(the one with abrasives), the one we're talking about is glaze or also known as polish. it gives the car a "wet" look.
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

You should be able to get that wet look from waxing your car properly, then buffing. I guess I try to go for that deeper volumetric look rather than the wet one on my car. Hey whatever floats your boat and looks good on your ride.
Old 03-13-2002
Registered!!

<< You should be able to get that wet look from waxing your car properly, then buffing. I guess I try to go for that deeper volumetric look rather than the wet one on my car. Hey whatever floats your boat and looks good on your ride. >>

I don't think you understand what 'wax' is my friend. Wax is a protectant for the paint. It doesn't matter what kind of look you are going for, if you don't polish first the paint will never live up to its potential. Polish doesn't necessarily give a wet look either. It gives a deep, smooth, perfection look. Just remember wax is a protectant not really something to shine your paint up with.

It's amazing how many people don't know the difference between polish and wax..........
Old 03-15-2002
Registered!!

CivicLX620 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry JSWhaler, but Mbow is right. Wax is primarily to protect the car from everyday grime. Polish is to take out swirls, slighty cover up small scratches, and make your paint look better.
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

I realize that, but I still feel that polish is not needed on such a new car.
Old 03-16-2002
Registered!!

showoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Polish:

Polish is designed to chemically bond to your paints surface thus semipermanently adhesing to the clear coat of your car. The first polish that you would apply to your paint should be a fine cut abrasive polish that will very gently level out and fill in the minor swirls and hair thin scratches of your paint (a.k.a. rubbing compound or swirl remover) . Then if desired you can apply a second coat of polish that enhances the shine to achieve that deep wet look ( This is not necessary if your polish does both remove swirls and enhance gloss). Do not apply wax until your completely satisfied with your paints overall appearance.

Wax:

There are two major types of wax Carnauba (natural wax) and Synthetic (polymer based)
Generaly carnauba (derivative of carnauba tree in certain subtropic areas) is simply a hard drying wax naturally based to adhere to your paint and protect it from the elements of nature a.k.a. acid rain, street salt, oxidation etc...
Polymer waxes are chemically bonded and cured to your paint similar to polishes and also protect in the same fashion as carnauba.
There have been countless testimonies of what was better in shine and performance between carnauba and synthetic waxes, but this goes on without conclusion. There are so many brands to list i'd rather not even bother. Go with what you like, but make sure you make a wise decision and research before you start hacking away at your expensive paintjob. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
showoff, thanks a bunch for the lowdown. I was wondering myself and that pretty much explains everything.
Old 03-29-2002
Registered!!

FutuRisticCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
so u can use both polish and wax?

ok first u use car wash, then u use polish to get a shiny luster of the paint, then u use wax to seal off the shiny look?

DID I HIT THE BULLSEYE OR was i wrong like sh!et!!!!!!