Clear coat coming off - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2005   #1
Registered!!

2k2silvcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Clear coat coming off

Dose anyboady know what you can do if ur clear coat starts to come off? Its on the back part of the roof and i need to now how i can stop it or id like to put something on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan
2k2silvcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #2

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
If you have clearcoat failure, which it sounds like you do, the only thing you can do is sand it off and reclear it. It comes from improper paint care and the clear starts to dry out and crack resulting in it peeling. Often times it will also appear cloudy, you see this alot on older cars in the south.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #3
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Its to late now. Like sooner said, you have to get it wetsanded and recleared. You really have to maintain the paint and protect it from UV rays. Here in florida, you can spot a car that has never been waxed, even if the car is only 1 year old - the sun cooks the clearcoat.
blouisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #4

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Shoulda got a Taffeta White vic, it has no clear coat. This is important to know for the average nutjob who thinks a average brush carwash is the safest... remember kids, the swirlies in the gloss do not mean it's clean, that means the clearcoat/paint is damaged... get that recleared and use nothing but brushless carwashes.
starstryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005   #5

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Wait, the Taffeta White is a single stage paint? I find that hard to believe. And if you dont take care of your paint enough to keep the clearcoat good, i doubt that you will take good enough care to keep the paint looking good on its own.
Old 12-01-2005   #6
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstryke
Shoulda got a Taffeta White vic, it has no clear coat. This is important to know for the average nutjob who thinks a average brush carwash is the safest... remember kids, the swirlies in the gloss do not mean it's clean, that means the clearcoat/paint is damaged... get that recleared and use nothing but brushless carwashes.

yeah thats not true...all civic are clearcoated regardless of color
jerseydetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #7
Registered!!

2k2silvcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanx for all the help. Its acctually my gfs car its a 99 accord. I dont think itll be that big of a deal because i thinks shes goin ta trade her car in really soon.
2k2silvcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005   #8

You can try using some Meguiars ColorX on it, that might make it look somewhat better for a little while. Otherwise get rid of that and tell her to take care of her new car!

Last edited by soonercivic; 12-02-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2005   #9

starstryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydetailer
yeah thats not true...all civic are clearcoated regardless of color
Go to the Honda Dealer sometime and ask, taffeta white does not need clearcoat, ask them why as well, you might be surprised.

/me saves the suspense
starstryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #10
Registered!!

taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
where can i find this taffeta white? i have a bit of clear coat peeling off the window area of the rear passenger door.
taehoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #11

its the white color that the civics come in. any place that sells automotive paint can get it for you. But it requires repainting the vehicle.
Old 12-04-2005   #12
Registered!!

taehoshi is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, that cant be the only option, can it?
taehoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005   #13
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstryke
Go to the Honda Dealer sometime and ask, taffeta white does not need clearcoat, ask them why as well, you might be surprised.

/me saves the suspense

he said the tafetta white civics are *not* clearcoated....that is wrong they are...thats common knowledge
jerseydetailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005   #14
Registered!!

kool-aid is an unknown quantity at this point
Wrong, there are still single stage paints used at the OEM level, but they are exclusively solid colors like your white. You may have had your car REFINISHED at one time and they opted to clear the panel.
kool-aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #15
Registered!!

Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
how much is it on average to get a car re-cleared?

how do i know if the clear coat is damaged btw?

thanks!

Last edited by Eclectic; 01-05-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #16
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
big chunks of plastic-like stuff starts to peel off. mine is too from those side mouldings and I take very good care of the paint.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006   #17
Registered!!

thanks gearbox!

however, i do see micro scratches when i glare the car in the light. but since i see no plastic stuff coming off i still have a chance to protect it!
Old 01-05-2006   #18
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
just glaze/polish and then wax over. scratches are normal from dust and stuff.
Old 01-06-2006   #19

you can prevent those scratches by properly washing the car with high quality materials and using microfiber clothes when polishing/waxing.
Old 01-12-2006   #20
Registered!!

how long does a glaze/polish wax over take?

....6 hours?

thanks!
Old 01-13-2006   #21
Premium Member

well you do the glaze first just like you would wax. then you put the wax over it once you remove the glaze. its like waxing twice except you use the glaze first. usually takes me 4 hrs cause you have to wash/dry the car first.
Old 01-13-2006   #22
Registered!!

redrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura aboutredrocket600 has a spectacular aura about
The fromnt end on my civic was repainted (bought totaled) and the clear came off no more than a year after the repaint. The car was washed all the time and waxed every couple of months. Took it back and the guy repainted it for free. I just waxed it last week and noticed the front peeling again...what's the deal? Shitty job again? I wax all the time...
redrocket600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006   #23

Thats just a crappy paint job. It happens with Maaco paint jobs alot. The problem is that they just lightly sand the underlying paint to make it smooth and give it some "bite", then they just apply paint over that followed by a clearcoat. It sounds like the same job you got as opposed to taking it back to a bare surface or at least primer.