Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Clear coat coming off (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/236444-clear-coat-coming-off.html)

2k2silvcivic 11-29-2005 12:47 PM

Clear coat coming off

Dose anyboady know what you can do if ur clear coat starts to come off? Its on the back part of the roof and i need to now how i can stop it or id like to put something on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

soonercivic 11-29-2005 07:26 PM

If you have clearcoat failure, which it sounds like you do, the only thing you can do is sand it off and reclear it. It comes from improper paint care and the clear starts to dry out and crack resulting in it peeling. Often times it will also appear cloudy, you see this alot on older cars in the south.

blouisgod 11-29-2005 09:14 PM

Its to late now. Like sooner said, you have to get it wetsanded and recleared. You really have to maintain the paint and protect it from UV rays. Here in florida, you can spot a car that has never been waxed, even if the car is only 1 year old - the sun cooks the clearcoat.

starstryke 12-01-2005 12:53 PM

Shoulda got a Taffeta White vic, it has no clear coat. This is important to know for the average nutjob who thinks a average brush carwash is the safest... remember kids, the swirlies in the gloss do not mean it's clean, that means the clearcoat/paint is damaged... get that recleared and use nothing but brushless carwashes.

soonercivic 12-01-2005 01:27 PM

Wait, the Taffeta White is a single stage paint? I find that hard to believe. And if you dont take care of your paint enough to keep the clearcoat good, i doubt that you will take good enough care to keep the paint looking good on its own.

jerseydetailer 12-01-2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by starstryke
Shoulda got a Taffeta White vic, it has no clear coat. This is important to know for the average nutjob who thinks a average brush carwash is the safest... remember kids, the swirlies in the gloss do not mean it's clean, that means the clearcoat/paint is damaged... get that recleared and use nothing but brushless carwashes.

:lol: yeah thats not true...all civic are clearcoated regardless of color

2k2silvcivic 12-02-2005 06:33 PM

Thanx for all the help. Its acctually my gfs car its a 99 accord. I dont think itll be that big of a deal because i thinks shes goin ta trade her car in really soon.

soonercivic 12-02-2005 06:40 PM

You can try using some Meguiars ColorX on it, that might make it look somewhat better for a little while. Otherwise get rid of that and tell her to take care of her new car!

starstryke 12-03-2005 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jerseydetailer
:lol: yeah thats not true...all civic are clearcoated regardless of color

Go to the Honda Dealer sometime and ask, taffeta white does not need clearcoat, ask them why as well, you might be surprised.

/me saves the suspense

taehoshi 12-04-2005 01:20 PM

where can i find this taffeta white? i have a bit of clear coat peeling off the window area of the rear passenger door.

soonercivic 12-04-2005 02:58 PM

its the white color that the civics come in. any place that sells automotive paint can get it for you. But it requires repainting the vehicle.

taehoshi 12-04-2005 06:40 PM

damn, that cant be the only option, can it?

jerseydetailer 12-04-2005 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by starstryke
Go to the Honda Dealer sometime and ask, taffeta white does not need clearcoat, ask them why as well, you might be surprised.

/me saves the suspense

he said the tafetta white civics are *not* clearcoated....that is wrong they are...thats common knowledge:hithead:

kool-aid 12-09-2005 01:52 AM

Wrong, there are still single stage paints used at the OEM level, but they are exclusively solid colors like your white. You may have had your car REFINISHED at one time and they opted to clear the panel.

Eclectic 01-05-2006 07:41 PM

how much is it on average to get a car re-cleared?

how do i know if the clear coat is damaged btw?

thanks!

gearbox 01-05-2006 07:58 PM

big chunks of plastic-like stuff starts to peel off. mine is too from those side mouldings and I take very good care of the paint.

Eclectic 01-05-2006 08:54 PM

thanks gearbox! :sweet:

however, i do see micro scratches when i glare the car in the light. but since i see no plastic stuff coming off i still have a chance to protect it!

gearbox 01-05-2006 09:03 PM

just glaze/polish and then wax over. scratches are normal from dust and stuff.

soonercivic 01-06-2006 11:30 AM

you can prevent those scratches by properly washing the car with high quality materials and using microfiber clothes when polishing/waxing.

Eclectic 01-12-2006 10:53 PM

how long does a glaze/polish wax over take?

....6 hours? :confused:

thanks!

gearbox 01-12-2006 11:31 PM

well you do the glaze first just like you would wax. then you put the wax over it once you remove the glaze. its like waxing twice except you use the glaze first. usually takes me 4 hrs cause you have to wash/dry the car first.

redrocket600 01-13-2006 10:36 AM

The fromnt end on my civic was repainted (bought totaled) and the clear came off no more than a year after the repaint. The car was washed all the time and waxed every couple of months. Took it back and the guy repainted it for free. I just waxed it last week and noticed the front peeling again...what's the deal? Shitty job again? I wax all the time...

soonercivic 01-13-2006 11:16 AM

Thats just a crappy paint job. It happens with Maaco paint jobs alot. The problem is that they just lightly sand the underlying paint to make it smooth and give it some "bite", then they just apply paint over that followed by a clearcoat. It sounds like the same job you got as opposed to taking it back to a bare surface or at least primer.