meg's #17 & #10 vs. plastX ? - Honda Civic Forum

Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2005   #1  
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
meg's #17 & #10 vs. plastX ?

this one's mostly for soonercivic...

i'm going to detail a friend's car, and he specifically wanted me to clear up his headlights. some light scratches, maybe a few too deep but what would be better, the #17/#10 combo or plastX? i don't know of any other plastic cleaners besides 3M, meg's, and wolfgang, but i want to know if anyone (like sooner) has ever tried them.
ojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #2  
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
get the answer directly from the experts.... 1-800-347-5700
rckdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #3  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
ive had the best luck with plastx. I tried the #17/#10 combo on my g/f's car (kia, wasnt my choice) and then the plastx on the other side. I had the best results with the plastx and a terrycloth applicator pad. They were too far gone to be totally restored, but she gets about 40% more light on the ground than before. My dad had a scuff on his trucks taillight, plastx got it right out. One thing i did was took the taillight out and held my PC in a vise. The i turned it on and move the light over it. I could get it out by hand because it was too deep. Great product, and its not a temporary fix either, a year later and both lights are just as clear as the day i did them. The reason i say use the terrycloth applicator, it seems to give it more "bite" than a foam one. However its easy to use the PC too. Mothers use to make a plastic cleaner, dont know if they still do, it seemed to be more of a chemical cleaner instead of an abrasive. With the mothers the cloudiness was back after a week. The 3M is a decent product, but seems to require more effort and time.

Last edited by soonercivic; 10-20-2005 at 06:27 PM.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005   #4  
Registered!!

thx sooner
Old 11-07-2005   #5  
Registered!!

just an update on this, the detail went great. i actually used plastX with mother's powerball attachment, it cleared up the headlights a lot.

doesn't really have to do with 7thgens, but yeah for older-style headlights it's a must...
Old 11-07-2005   #6  

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Glad to hear it worked for you. PlastX and some type of polisher is a great combo. It works on any clear plastic, it even helps with scuffed plastic.
soonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote