Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Buffing out scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Buffing out scratches

Hey guys; quick question about buffing out scratches...

What product is best, and how is it done any differently from waxing?

The civic i recently bought doesn't have a spot of rust, but there are a number of surface scratches I'd like to get rid of.

...also, i'm going to take it to get it Krown (rustproofed); does it matter if i wash/wax my car before hand?
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryangt is an unknown quantity at this point
color sanding can help. Get some either 2000 or 1500 grit WET sand paper, some rubbing compound that will remove 1500 or finer scratches, and a good wax.
clean the area first.
start with the 2000 sand paper wet and keeping the area wet start sanding lightly you dont want to remove alot, just till the paint feels smooth
dry it off and see how it looks, if its ok then cool if not repeat with 1500
rub the rubbing compound into the scratch area in a circular motion working it till it dries.
clean it off then get a good coat of wax.
this is exactly what i did and it looks great.
It works on making carbon fiber hoods look great as well.
give it a shot and if the scrathces are to deep to remove that way well you better get maaco haha

should work fine tho since they are surface scratches
Old 10-20-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ryangt
color sanding can help. Get some either 2000 or 1500 grit WET sand paper, some rubbing compound that will remove 1500 or finer scratches, and a good wax.
clean the area first.
start with the 2000 sand paper wet and keeping the area wet start sanding lightly you dont want to remove alot, just till the paint feels smooth
dry it off and see how it looks, if its ok then cool if not repeat with 1500
rub the rubbing compound into the scratch area in a circular motion working it till it dries.
clean it off then get a good coat of wax.
this is exactly what i did and it looks great.
It works on making carbon fiber hoods look great as well.
give it a shot and if the scrathces are to deep to remove that way well you better get maaco haha

should work fine tho since they are surface scratches

If you have never wet sanded before, dont start on your car. And based on the questions asked, i think you dont have enough experience to even try it yet. You need to practice first, otherwise that "not so bad" paint job will look like crap. The best way is with a dual action polisher, its user friendly and gets great results. If the scratches can be felt with your fingernail, then you will never get them out unless you repaint the car. A rotary buffer works amazingly well also, but requires alot of skill and practice. An orbital buffer (most common) will not create enough heat to remove many scratches and will usually leave holograms in the paint. I suggest that if your serious about this, go buy a Porter Cable 7336 from lowes, some quality pads, and abrasive products and go at it. You will have to try really hard in order to screw up with a DA.

Last edited by soonercivic; 10-20-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by soonercivic
If you have never wet sanded before, dont start on your car. And based on the questions asked, i think you dont have enough experience to even try it yet. You need to practice first, otherwise that "not so bad" paint job will look like crap. The best way is with a dual action polisher, its user friendly and gets great results. If the scratches can be felt with your fingernail, then you will never get them out unless you repaint the car. A rotary buffer works amazingly well also, but requires alot of skill and practice. An orbital buffer (most common) will not create enough heat to remove many scratches and will usually leave holograms in the paint. I suggest that if your serious about this, go buy a Porter Cable 7336 from lowes, some quality pads, and abrasive products and go at it. You will have to try really hard in order to screw up with a DA.
yeah. read up on how to use a PC, it's a detailer's most versatile tool...
Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

thoughthard is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used this with great results on minor scratches. Lots of elbow grease though.

Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
you cant get scratches out with just a pc. you need to use a rotary.. get a whool pad and some red compound. haha the only way i do it. then you have to go over it with a green foam edge pad with some xp swirl remover. good to go
Old 10-23-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by civicrice
you cant get scratches out with just a pc. you need to use a rotary.. get a whool pad and some red compound. haha the only way i do it. then you have to go over it with a green foam edge pad with some xp swirl remover. good to go
Thats a great idea, if you have experience. But i dont think this guy does based off the type of questions he is asking. So if he does what you told him, most likely, we will see a post titled "i burned through my paint"