Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Using porter cable and removing wax

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
k-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Using porter cable and removing wax

I got my PC 7336 on the weekend and decided to go all out yesterday detailing my car, what I did:

Wash/dry
Clay bar
Menzerna Intensive polish
Menzerna final polish II
Mothers wax

It was my first time using a buffer so it took some time but it was looking awesome after the final polish II.

THis is where the problems began, I think I applied to much wax and it was extremly difficult to take the product off. I almost felt that the scratches I removed in the polishing stage were coming back. I only used the PC to apply product, not to take it off.

I heard the PC is only used for application? not to remove the product? is this true?

Is there a bonnet I can use to safely remove product? the polish came off easy enough with a microfibre buffing cloth.

Also, Im going to re-wax in a month. I want to use a synthetic wax to last me over the winter, any suggestions? do I just apply over the existing wax? or do I have to strip it? clay bar? ANY suggestions for the wax?? NXT?

THANKS!!! hopefully PC session #2 will go over better.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
what kind of pads are you using with each product? have you read this article: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

that pretty much gives you a good place for reference.
Old 09-19-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
These are the bonnets that i use, they work great. http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...nets&sku=X4003

I also use NXT on my car and the results are amazing. Make sure that you use 2 thin coats of NXT though, that will offer best coverage and appearance.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
also... spray some quik detailer and wipe with a good quality microfiber towel, that will also make ease of wax removal.
Old 09-20-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ojay
what kind of pads are you using with each product? have you read this article: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

that pretty much gives you a good place for reference.
Im using Lake country variable contact pads

yellow - menzerna intensive polish
white - menzerna final polish II
black - mothers wax

I removed the polish with a good microfibre buffing cloth but I only had one and didnt want to mix the used cloth with the wax so I used some new microfibre applicators to remove the wax.....

I took a good look at the car today.............looks great in the shade, the paint is as clean as new but in direct sunlight the swirls are still there, Im not sure what I did wrong????
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
I'm thinking it's the Mother's wax and not the pads, etc... what Mother's wax was it? If it has cleaners in it (like the carnauba wax that comes with the clay bar), that could be why it doesn't look as good. It pretty cleaned off the two Menzerna's.

Another possibility is that you're using the PC at too high a speed. I would stay at about 3.5. Too much heat will cause the wax to dry up fast.

Lastly, from my experience the waxes you buy over the counter like Mother's and Meguair's are harder to work with than other waxes. People can argue how Mother's and Meguiar's are the best, etc... but that's only because that's usually all they know. Once you step up to waxes like Poorboy's, ClearKote, P21S/S100, Klasse, Pinnacle, etc... that's when you realize that over the counter waxes aren't so great. While OTC stuff can look good, it's usually harder to work with and not as durable. You're on the right track the PC, Lake Country Pads, and Menzerna... I myself would seal up the Menzerna with Poorboy's EX or EX-P.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
wipe the grey hairs seed from the earth and eat his heart?
I am about to buy a pc polisher, I guess I will know who to come to for orbit per minute settings and such. I have heard good things from pros using meguiars high tech yellow wax btw.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mogwai
I'm thinking it's the Mother's wax and not the pads, etc... what Mother's wax was it? If it has cleaners in it (like the carnauba wax that comes with the clay bar), that could be why it doesn't look as good. It pretty cleaned off the two Menzerna's.

Another possibility is that you're using the PC at too high a speed. I would stay at about 3.5. Too much heat will cause the wax to dry up fast.

Lastly, from my experience the waxes you buy over the counter like Mother's and Meguair's are harder to work with than other waxes. People can argue how Mother's and Meguiar's are the best, etc... but that's only because that's usually all they know. Once you step up to waxes like Poorboy's, ClearKote, P21S/S100, Klasse, Pinnacle, etc... that's when you realize that over the counter waxes aren't so great. While OTC stuff can look good, it's usually harder to work with and not as durable. You're on the right track the PC, Lake Country Pads, and Menzerna... I myself would seal up the Menzerna with Poorboy's EX or EX-P.
mogwai hit on the dot. also, once you step past mother's/meg's in the detailing world, there's just so many better things out there.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

its poorboys a synthetic wax?

klasse has a synthetic wax correct? which one is it? the all-in-one? is that the wax?

thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Megiars makes professional wax that is not over the counter.
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

Yeah, Poorboy's EX and EX-P are synthetic. I would use EX for dark cars and EX-P for lighter cars. Then you can top it off a carnauba wax like P21S or Poorboy's Natty's. P21S isn't cheap so you can get S100 (for motorcycles but, it's essentially the same formula) at a Harley dealer for $14.95. This is the combo I usually use on my civic.

Here's a link for Poorboy's stuff...
www.poorboysworld.com or www.danase.com

Klasse All-In-One is synthetic as well. Here's a link...
http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html
If you notice, they used the All-In-One along with the Menzerna polishes on the black truck.

Good luck man!
Old 09-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackburton
Megiars makes professional wax that is not over the counter.
no one said that they didn't.

Yeah, Poorboy's EX and EX-P are synthetic.
EX is synthetic (resin) but it also contains carnauba.

hell yeah danase owns!
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ojay
EX is synthetic (resin) but it also contains carnauba.
Yeah... I forgot to mention it contained carnauba. Just a slight oversight; I'm need sleep, LOL

And yeah, Danase owns. I'm in his customer's vehicles section.

http://www.danase.com/re20ciex.html
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

You mentioned megiuars and mothers being over the counter,then you stated that there is better stuff out there than megiuars, and then said something about realizeing over the counters were not that great, so you implied that meguiars only makes OTC. You did not come out and say it but you were as close as you could get. Both megiuars OTC tech wax and professional hi tech yellow wax are of high quality. have you used tech wax, it is pretty durable and rain really beads off?
I also like the name megiuars, it sounds so american, and their products smell great, sometimes I just spray so quick detailer just to inhale it.

Last edited by jackburton; 09-23-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

megs mirror glaze line is good as well (#80 & #83)
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackburton
You mentioned megiuars and mothers being over the counter,then you stated that there is better stuff out there than megiuars, and then said something about realizeing over the counters were not that great, so you implied that meguiars only makes OTC. You did not come out and say it but you were as close as you could get. Both megiuars OTC tech wax and professional hi tech yellow wax are of high quality. have you used tech wax, it is pretty durable and rain really beads off?
I also like the name megiuars, it sounds so american, and their products smell great, sometimes I just spray so quick detailer just to inhale it.
By OTC, I wasn't really trying to compare consumer vs. professional products. I'm was using OTC in the context of brands you can acqiure locally and those you have to order online. On a side note: Pepboy's does carry some of Meg's professional line (SR #2, Mirror Glaze, Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, etc...).

Now, in terms of Meguiar's... I'm not saying it's all that bad. I'll start off by saying that some Meg's waxes (whether pro or consumer) look just as good as some of the non-OTC stuff. Although appearance does play an important role, there are other things to consider when deciding on a wax: ease of use and durability. I've used most of Meg's major waxes (except for the Hi-Tech Yellow Wax) and unless you wipe it off right after it's application, you have to use a lot of elbow grease to take it off. S100, for example, goes on and off like butter. I can put in on, come back two hours later, and the stuff will wipe right off.

Also, Meg's durability isn't as good either in comparison to non-OTC waxes. After about 1 or 2 washes it doesn't bead (or sheet) as well and the added shine is pretty much gone. That includes Meg's NXT. I used it and wasn't really impressed. I liked that it had fillers to cover up swirls, but in my experience with the product, it's durability still wasn't good and I thought it's shine was rather bland. I think Gold Class looks better than NXT.

If you like Meguiar's (or Mother's, Turtle Wax, etc...), then go for it. All I'm saying, until you try different stuff, you'll never see (or be able to judge for yourself) the added benefits from the other brands out there. My word is not the word of God, LOL. I'm just giving my opinion given my experiences as a detaling enthusiast. Peace.
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

and let's not forget the most important thing .... PREP WORK!