Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Stupid question about Cleaning Engine Bay with oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Stupid question about Cleaning Engine Bay with oil leaks?

This is probably a stupid question, but I will ask anyway, my dad drives a 2000 Kia sportage and his engine bay is filthy as hell and I was going to clean it but his valve cover is leaking, and his head is also leaking oil. Would it still be ok to clean the engine with oil leaks?
Old 09-17-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
yeah, that is fine......there is no way any water will get in under the valve cover.

btw.......a 2000 with a oil leak from the valve cover....only a kia
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by civic01vtec
yeah, that is fine......there is no way any water will get in under the valve cover.

btw.......a 2000 with a oil leak from the valve cover....only a kia
its fuked up, the valve cover is leaking, the head is leaking, the oil pan is leaking, the tranny is leaking, and I wouldnt be suprised if the rear main seal was leaky.
Old 09-18-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
"Engine-Brite" & foamy engine brite will help cut the oil off. I would try to not get it on too much plastic though, concentrate on metal. I used to use it, pretty safe.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
"Engine-Brite" & foamy engine brite will help cut the oil off. I would try to not get it on too much plastic though, concentrate on metal. I used to use it, pretty safe.
I used the foamy engine brite to clean his engine. I like that stuff, but it leaves the white film on everything. So I used the CD2 engine detailer when I was done.