Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

OEM alloy detailing

Old 08-29-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
OEM alloy detailing

what do you guys use for the honda OEM alloy wheels to make them shine and give it that "polish" look?

i noticed there are water spottings on my OEM alloys even after i handwash them and dry.
Old 08-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
with the clearcoat its tricky. I just use a towel and plain car wash wth water. Makes them look like new. And when they get dirty, I can usually wipe em down with a shop towel and they look shiny again. If they are really bad, rub on some meguiar's clear coat body scrub and then wax em. I need to wax my wheels again soon. Makes it alot easier to clean.
Old 08-29-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
so it'd be ok to wax them with the same wax i would use on my car paint?
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
there are wheel cleaners on the market, use them. eagle one A2Z/all wheel cleaner are excellent products. a wheel brush goes a long way too (perfect combo on my 03 ex wheels)

you can use wax on your wheels, but they are specially made wheel waxes, which repel brake dust and make future cleanings a breeze (just hose them down), better than the stuff you use on your car.
Old 08-29-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
alot of wheel specific waxes are made for polished wheels, so if you happen to have painted wheels, make sure to read the bottle so that your getting whats right for your application.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Alot of those wheel cleaners will eat your clearcoated rims, even though they say its safe, just stick with regular soap and brush. Then wax them, but the wax will prob come off pretty fast.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

i usually dilute A2Z 2:1 or 3:1 but straight up it hasn't done anything to the finish of the wheel yet (we are talking about stock alloys here)
Old 08-29-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
on stock alloys a typical wheel cleaner will work just fine, and a wheel wax will also provide protection like ojay said. i was just mentioning painted wheels for reference.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I just know on after market rims rim cleaners will eat the finish, and cause pitting, i guess stock alloys are tougher.
Old 08-29-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i would never use a wheel cleaner other than car wash soap. And yes use car wax on them.
Old 08-29-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
i would never use a wheel cleaner other than car wash soap. And yes use car wax on them.
that what i do, also, since i wax my rims (nxt wax) using a car soap helps maintain the wax instead of a wheel cleaner stripping it.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

i'm not really a fan of waxing wheels (especially the fronts) because it won't last long against the elements anyway and it gets hotter than the paint usually.

i'm looking into trying this out soon for winter: http://danase.com/powowhse.html

safe on all kinds of wheels, got to put out my own test.
Old 08-29-2005
Premium Member

its just one of those things...like only using water on tint even tho there are "tint safe" cleaners.
Old 08-29-2005
Registered!!

convience as well. i've used eagle one wheel acid on a car that wasn't cleaned for 6 months and it saved me about 2 hours worth of elbow grease.
Old 08-30-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
i used a wheel on my si rims. green foam light cut pad came out like new, just a little automagic's swirl remover and some ez paste.