Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

What's the best car wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
What's the best car wax?

I'm wondering what's established as being the best, or one of the best, car waxes. Preferably something that protects well against the sun.

Are there any products I should use before or after I wax?

Thanks,
C_A
Old 08-04-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
im not sure if there is one wax that is better than all, but there is a lot of good stuff out there. as far as retail goes, try the meguiars gold class line. if you post in the detailing forum, people there might be able to give you tips on what to try out. ibtm
Old 08-04-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
the type of wax you want on your car is called calluja(sp) best wax out there Meguiars has it and another company Kit calls it Turtle wax
Spray on wax arent as good, dont be fooled..
Old 08-04-2005
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light
Thank ya, thank ya.
Old 08-04-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
There isn't really a "best" wax. Generally, use what your comfortable with and like using.

Then theres the who carnuba wax VS. synethic wax (also called a polymer or sealant).

both have pros and cons.

check out autopia.org or bettercarcare.com or if you want an active detailing forum (read: better detail forum than 7thgen), check out http://www.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

its an acura forum, but has a lot of good information concerning car detailing/wash/wax.
Old 08-04-2005
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
moved to the Detailing forum
Old 08-04-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
If your going with a Meguiars wax, the NXT has proven to be their best protectant wax even in their own tests. I prefer a polymer wax in the summer and a carnuba in the winter. A carnuba wax goes on a little thicker, but a polymer wax has better UV protection and also shines better.
Old 08-04-2005
i like shiny cars

BaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant future
get the best of both worlds.... use a sealant with a nuba topper.

I like Pinnacle Souveran when it comes to depth on black and red cars.

I also like S100 for a more reflective look.

But get best of both worlds.. Clean the paint with Klasse AIO, then put a few layers of Klasse SG then top with either Pinnacle Souveran or s100.

Other good waxes i heard bout.

Natty's
Menzerna FMJ
NXT
Meguiars #26
Wolfgang products
Moose wax i think

Thats all i can think of at the moment... .beer in the system and thinking doesnt work.

Peace
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I was thinking of getting some of meguires tech wax, and using my gold class first, then a coat of tech wax. I hear tech wax is thinner, and does not dry all of the way???
\Is this true???
Old 08-05-2005
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
the key to applying wax is in thin coats as it offers the same protection as thick without wasting product and making removal harder.
Old 08-05-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jackburton
I was thinking of getting some of meguires tech wax, and using my gold class first, then a coat of tech wax. I hear tech wax is thinner, and does not dry all of the way???
\Is this true???
The NXT Tech wax does apply thinner than the gold class because its a polymer wax instead of a carnuba like the gold class is. It will dry all the way. 2 thin coat of NXT will look better as well, one coat will make it look streaky.
Old 08-10-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
what will and what will not dry all the way, i was assuming nxt will not. what about using thicker wax first and then using shinier, smoother nxt wax. I have a black so two coats really makes it shine. I am trying this on friday, will post results.
Old 08-10-2005

i use 2 coats of NXT spaced a few hours apart. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes or until you can swipe your finger across the paint and the residue comes off easily. You certainly can put NXT over another wax, but 2 thin coats of NXT has been shown to protect better than any other meguiars wax. I also think that it shines better too.
Old 08-10-2005
Registered!!

^I am just goiing to experiment, cause i think with a thicker coat of gold class and athin coat of nxt will shine, i dunno, itl be fun.
Old 08-10-2005

#26 yellow wax topped by a coat of NXT is a good combination. something to try.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

kool-aid is an unknown quantity at this point
At the shop I own we recommend Hi-Tech Yellow Wax by Meguires. It goes on and off real easy and smells real good from the carnuaba base.
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

Blkbear is an unknown quantity at this point
\Is this true???
Only true if you try to take it off before it's dry. I put a coat of NXT on my civic last weekend and a second coat on this past weekend. Took both coats off after about 30 mins on the car and it was completely dry. Didn't have any problem with it. But you do need to let it cure, before putting on a top coat of anything, including more NXT.

The key to NXT or any wax for that matter, is to put on thin coats. No need to smear wax on like mayo as if you were making a sandwich, only makes it harder to take it off, and you have to deal with all the EXTRA dried wax residue.

One coat of NXT looks pretty good, two coats looks very good. Will have to borrow a cam to post a pic, the car ain't anything special, but it looks nice.
Old 08-17-2005
Registered!!

Just finished washing waxing my car an hour ago. I put a coat of gold class, and then a coat of tech. I realized while putting it on that the tech wax was going to dry, but it is easier to take off then gold. Last time i waited a day, but this time only like 30 min, what happens when it doesnt cure all the way?
To tell you the truth it looks feels the same as when i put two coats of gold class. I think i am going to try the yellow stuff, after i use most of the tech.

Last edited by jackburton; 08-17-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-17-2005

if you just put one coat of tech over the gold class then curing time isnt a concern. the only reason it would be is if you are using 2 coats of nxt. the polymers need time to set up, but gold glass is a carnuba wax so it isnt the same idea. the #26 yellow wax is also great, looks really good on red and green vehicles. remember to polish before you wax though.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
whats it mean when im taking the wax off and its sorta streaky, like i have a nhbp car and when i go to buff it off with a microfiber towel it comes out with some purple in it. what did i do wrong? did it not cure long enough, is the towel wet? what? this happens only with nu finish polish. i use meguirs gold class wax and not one problem.
Old 08-23-2005

Its because the nu finish is a polymer based wax and gold class is carnuba. With nufinish you will need to let it set up for about 15-20 minutes, then wait up to 24 (the closer to 24 the better) and apply another thin coat. With a polymer wax, thin coats are the key. That should fix the streaky problem.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
umm...p21s owns and thats about all i know
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

what is p21s
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
what is p21s
a brand of professional detailing products, known best for their wheel cleaner and carnauba wax.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

qik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm afraid of real wax so i cheese ball out with wax as you dry products
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

afraid, wtf??
Wax as you dry, yeah right!
Get some tech wax and put it on in thin coats comes off real easy.
Old 08-24-2005
There is gl@ss in my @SS...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
What the hell is there to be afraid of? Unless your using a electric buffer, there isn't a single thing to worry about, unless you like to put things in your mouth, i think you'll be fine. That wax as you dry is a joke i think.
Old 08-24-2005
i like shiny cars

BaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant futureBaLisTek has a brilliant future
Just dont apply the wax with a piece of sandpaper and I'll think you'll be fine waxing with real wax. No need to be scared.

Try S100 wax... easy wax that has a good price.

Can be found at any harley davidson store for like 16bux, and it will last you awhile.

pce
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

01hx5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the hook up where i work i wax boats and detail corvettes, i use a cream wax made by safty-clean this is an industrial wax only and you dont let it dry, i do small sections at a time and the affect is unbelivable, do some research and find it, i cant find anything better, its a little pricey but it is well worth it.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Rep daVinci will become famous soon enoughRep daVinci will become famous soon enough
any feedback on Mother's Wax?

Quick Reply: What's the best car wax?