Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

What's the best car wax?

Old 09-07-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Mothers makes some ok waxes. It seems to me that they are geared more towards the guy who just occasionally waxes his car, not the detail freak. just my opinion based on experience.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Rep daVinci will become famous soon enoughRep daVinci will become famous soon enough
i guess it's good for me then....i wash the hell out of it but have yet to wax it.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rep daVinci
any feedback on Mother's Wax?
the new mothers reflections & fx line have gotten good reviews, and some say the durability/ease of use is just as good, if not better than megs nxt.
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

03CivicEX4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
Ibiz
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

Rep daVinci will become famous soon enoughRep daVinci will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rckdrmr
the new mothers reflections & fx line have gotten good reviews, and some say the durability/ease of use is just as good, if not better than megs nxt.

I asked b/c I see the commercial everytime I'm watching the Speed Channel.
Old 09-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

2004_sq_champ is an unknown quantity at this point
You cant go wrong with anything from megs or mothers.
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
not really a wax, but i just started using liquid glass and so far im pretty happy with it. very easy to apply and remove, and should last much longer than traditional carnauba waxes from what i hear.
Old 10-19-2005
O.O

delusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura aboutdelusional1 has a spectacular aura about
www zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Eclectic is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry to revive an old thread (but it's not expired!) but i don't want to create a new one that will get locked so just wondering....what is the proper technique in waxing a car? i couldn't find any DIY in the DIY forum so any site with pics and stuff?

nice wax suggestions in this thread though

i was planning to fix the major scratches and this one dent on my car. and then glaze it then wax it. not sure how to go about that though. btw, how long does it take on average to glaze and/or wax a car?

thanks
Old 02-17-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
www.meguiarsonline.com great site, tons of info, just join for free and read up. How do you plan on fixing the scratches and the dent? If you do a proper clean, clay bar, use compounds to remove scratches, polish, and wax it could take anywhere from 4-10 hours depending on the amount of work you have do.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

thanks soonercivic.

i just purchased a tube of meguiar's scratch x so i'll be working on the light scratches. i'm not sure how you guys do the deeper ones though. can that be DIY or do you need a professional to fix that? as for the dent, i might have to seek professional help for that one too.

thanks again
Old 02-18-2006

If the scratch is all the way through the clearcoat then you wont be able to remove it, you can make it less visable, but it wont be gone. If you plan on doing other significant defects that arent all the way through the clear, you can certainly do it yourself and in fact you can do it with the ScratchX but that will require a LOT of work. For larger defects you really need to use machine polishing with either a dual action polisher or a rotary. The DA can easily be done by yourself if you are willing to spend a few hundred bucks on products, the rotary is no place for someone with no experience unless you like burning through your paint. Most likely the dent will require professional service and depending on your level of dedication you may want to have a professional detail the vehicle for a lil money to get a clean surface. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

eyegiant is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by WhiteCastle
the type of wax you want on your car is called calluja(sp) best wax out there Meguiars has it and another company Kit calls it Turtle wax
Spray on wax arent as good, dont be fooled..
that's the wax we use here at work as our primary use, but I would say any wax would work fine as long as you apply it right.
Old 02-18-2006

Thats not true, different waxes last for different amounts of time. Some waxes layer well, others dont. It varies. To find a method you like it takes some trial and error to find a method that you prefer the most. I prefer using Meguiars NXT wax, its synthetic and is proven to last and protect longer than any other wax they make. In the winter I will use a couple coats of Meguiars #26 yellow wax since its a carnuba based wax. Carnuba waxes go on thicker and layer better than a synthetic. The reason I use it in the winter is that I can put 3 or 4 layers because its harder to maintain the car in the winter, example on Wednesday it was 71F and today it was about 25F with an inch of snow and ice. That makes it hard to wash the car, and now it looks more like a grey car than it does black. Fun.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
the key to applying wax is to do two thin coats for uniform coverage.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

thanks for the info.

just wondering though, how often should you wax a car? i read in another thread that it should be a least twice a year (every 6 months) and then after car washes, just spray some detail thing to keep the car shining.

does that sound about right?

thanks again
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I wax like four or five times a year maybe more. Only once during the cold season though, I just cannot wash my car in the cold, I just do a laserwash drive through type deal. I think as long as you have a few coats of wax on your car and you get the salt off you are ok.

Meguiars number 26 has synthetics in it so you might want to wait a day before applying another coat. I dunno for sure though, I have only used gold class and nxt. If you put a coat or two of gold class and then top it off with a coat or two of tech wax you will have the smoothest paint ever. It was smoother than glass, prob like glass with a coat of rainx almost. It will have a deep look to it for a along time because the tech wax seals in the carnuba wax, I think. I was worried at first because I thought it would be like building an army base on styrafoam, but it did not end up like that. People say not to put thick coats on, just really thin coats, because it can be really hard to get off, and it wastes alot. But I have found that it is most important to get good coverage with each coat, and I always waste some. I think that you need to

Last edited by jackburton; 02-19-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

Johnald13 is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys ever heard of COLLINITE brand wax?
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

S100 makes a really good carnauba wax!. i've got some of that too.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

i work at a harley davidson dealership and they sell the S100 brand there. they have S100 pre-wax cleaners and a great S100 carnauba wax there. it's awsome wax actually!. you should try it.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

here's a picture of the S100 wax.
Old 02-26-2006
Registered!!

here's the S100 pre-wax paint cleanser.
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

you should try the collinite brand wax. here's 2 of their car waxes. one is a liquid and the other is a paste. the paste is slightly better than the liquid one.

Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

Intercooler is an unknown quantity at this point
Hands down the best Zaino!
Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Wolfgang or klasse makes great sealants, pinaccle makes the best carnuba. Hand poured for $70 for a container of paste wax, and it is not that big!
Old 03-25-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
I use Pinnacle Souverin, prolly one of the best waxes made, although its $69 for a can, also S100 is a really good one, you can pick that up at a Harley Davidson shop. Klasse makes a good AIO and Sealant Glaze, I use both of those. Swirl removers, I would go with Poor Boys, very good.
Old 03-28-2006
Registered!!

corando84 is an unknown quantity at this point
i used zymol, then meguires cleaner wax and now i used gold class.

I think gold class is the best of all 3

and they were all liquid waxes.
Old 04-14-2006
Registered!!

ok i went to the meguiars site and filled out some survey questions so the site could recommend what stuff i should use.

it basically told me that i needed to do this in order:
1) wash
- gold class car wash shampoo and conditioner
2) paint renewal
- quik clay detailing system
- scratch x
- deep crystal system paint cleaner
3) paint protection
- nxt generation tech wax or gold class clear coat car wax
4) paint maintenance
- quik detailer
- nxt generation spray wax

i was just wondering out of that list which ones are not needed or are redundant. or if there are any better recommendations. like for example i think nxt tech wax is better from hearing what you guys said. i'm not sure about the paint renewal though. i hear a lot of talk that you have to polish/glaze the car first before waxing it. i'm not sure which of the paint renewal products is the polish/glaze

also, how long does the tech wax last? i read in other threads that it doesn't last long after several car washes. i'm trying to look for a wax that lasts long because i don't really have much time to do detailing (average 10 hours?!?!? )

when you guys mean apply wax in two thin coats. what does that exactly mean? you do the first coat and let it dry and then apply another coat on top of it? or first coat and then take it off and then put it on again. sorry i'm confused.

thanks for all the advice though, i never detailed my car before and i need to because i really care about the paint. i'm been doing all this research on the forums because i want to buy the right products with confidence.

Last edited by Eclectic; 04-14-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
I used all liquid waxes and meguiars stuff on my NHBP. Everything shadowed no matter what I did and how often I waxed my car. I bought some $7 turtle wax platinum paste and, as hard as it was to remove using a orbital buffer and microfiber, the paint actually shows the blue metal chips now and has a beam to it like nothing else on the road. everyone thinks its aftermarket paint, but its stock paint and about 5 years old going through sun and salt. Thats my recommendation for a black car.
Old 04-14-2006
Registered!!

MBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really nice
ok guys.. my cf hood starts to fade out.. what should i use to stop this? is there a wax or something that would help to stop the fading? damn im pissed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the best car wax?