Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

new question! Swirlies on headunit face

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Question new question! Swirlies on headunit face

Hey guys i hope this isn't a but i havent really seen any discussion of it yet. mostly just outer paint/clearcoat swirlies,scratches, etc.

I have an Pioneer headunit that's touch screen (all screen, no buttons). I don't actually touch the screen, I operate it by remote. Dust and crap get into the car while I ride around with windows down and they settle onto the face of the headunit and i've been wiping it clear with a silk cloth. It works really well, but i've had this unit a bit now and the swirlies are getting more noticeable, to me anyway.

I tried putting plastic food wrap over it and it looks hella ghetto any way to prevent more scratches? Is there anything I can use to take away the swirls?

If all-around tint was allowed in my, it would be no problem since the scratches are noticiable when the sun's glaring off of the screen (i hate the stupid dash angle). It hasnt bothered me enough to go and do something stupid like use car wax on it
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifty is on a distinguished road
Try putting tint film on it

i have a question that goes with this, is there anyway to remove finger oil from the touch screen?
Old 06-13-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I used meguiar's clear plastic polish and it worked for a while. But then scratches started coming back again. Is yours made out of plastic or is it an lcd?
Old 06-22-2005
Registered!!

02SILVEREX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ok for the scratches, I would suggest Novus plastic polish. I've used this stuff before, it's great. I used it to repair acrylic scanner drums. Each drum cost about 3-5k, so it was worth the fix. You would want to start with step 2, then go to 1. If you have a Dremel, and a cotton wheel, use it on a slow speed. Or you could do it by hand too.

As far as the fingerprints on the touch screen... You need to use a glass cleaner, that doesn't contain amonia. I perfer to use Eagel1's 20/20 glass cleaner. DON'T ever spray the screen!!! Spray the cleaner on a lint free cloth, saturate it. Then gently wipe the screen. Then with another cloth, wipe the screen dry.

Hope this helps guy's

Oops... almost forgot, here is the web for Novus.....> Novus

ReReRe EDIT: (This will be the last time I swear!!!) Forget the other sites... just stick to the first one! The *oz. kit is the cheepest HERE . That should be plenty enough to last you a LONG time.

Last edited by 02SILVEREX; 06-22-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Try Meguiars PlasticX. Its slightly abrasive but breaks down into a polish once its worked. I used it on my Alpine HU and on my g/f's lights. Came out crystal clear, since its slightly abrasive, it removes the scratches instead of just filling them like a polish but it isnt too abrasive but i dont know what it would do on a touch screen.