Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Just a quick wax question-not about what one is best

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Just a quick wax question-not about what one is best

I am probably not as obsessed as alot of you guys are about waxing your cars. besides it is winter here! I usually wax 2-5 times a year and definitely before and after winter. I want to know if I should take the old wax off before putting more on when winter is over? I heard someone talking about usuing palmolive to get the wax off. Thanks
Old 01-23-2002
Premium Member

civicdude will become famous soon enough
You have no need to remove the old wax. The reason people do this is that it is easier to clean and polish the paint. You would only need to do this if you were going to get oxidation or remove dead paint from the surface. Since you just want to wax the car you have no need for this.
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

GTekCiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
damn i wish i knew how to polish and wax......... my car looks like shizt.......
ohhh well new paint job cummin soon anyways
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

silvicV is an unknown quantity at this point
uhm...its not that hard to learn...there should be threads in this forum that explains the proper way to polish and wax a finish...hope u learn so u can take care of your new paint job...its sad to see a neglected car...
Old 01-29-2002
Registered!!

2002DX is an unknown quantity at this point
Basically all you do is apply a straight line of wax on an area and do a swirl motion with a wax pad. After you do the whole car us a NON-SCRATCHING cloth or cloths and just wipe it off. You can ask a shop or dealer what cloth to buy. Make sure to let the wax dry first. Its very simple but takes a little while. In the end its all worth it when you see your shiny smooth car. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-30-2002
Premium Member

DO NOT USE CIRCULAR MOTIONS.....YOU WILL CAUSE SWIRL MARKS IN THE PAINT. YOU ALWAYS USE A BACK IN FORTH MOTION WHEN APPLYING AND REMOVING WAX, AND GLAZE PRODUCTS.
mAKE SURE YOU USE A CLEAN APPLICATOR AND A CLEAN TOWEL FOR EACH PRODUCT YOU USE. IF YOU MIX APPLICATORS YOU WILL CAUSE A CHEMICAL REACTION THAT IS A PAIN IN THE AZZ TO REMOVE FROM THE PAINT.
Old 01-30-2002
Mr. Negative

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough

<< DO NOT USE CIRCULAR MOTIONS.....YOU WILL CAUSE SWIRL MARKS IN THE PAINT. YOU ALWAYS USE A BACK IN FORTH MOTION WHEN APPLYING AND REMOVING WAX, AND GLAZE PRODUCTS.
mAKE SURE YOU USE A CLEAN APPLICATOR AND A CLEAN TOWEL FOR EACH PRODUCT YOU USE. IF YOU MIX APPLICATORS YOU WILL CAUSE A CHEMICAL REACTION THAT IS A PAIN IN THE AZZ TO REMOVE FROM THE PAINT.
>>

This I didnt know. I guess you learn something everyday when you log on to 2k1civic. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Than why on the bottle it says to apply in a circular motion. Whats up with that?
Old 01-30-2002
Premium Member

Probably so you cause more damage to your paint and you have to buy there other products, like Swirl Remover or Glaze lol
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

Rebew1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think Mr. Miagi would not agree with you. Anyways, why are high speed buffers going in circles? I agree with you about the swirl marks and all. Just wondering why all products state circles?
Old 02-05-2002
Premium Member

High speed buffers clean the paint of oxidation and scratches. If not used properly they will cause swirl marks. That is why they make glaze, and swirl mark remover.