Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Dirty Car in the Snow (Winter) HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002
AB
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AB is an unknown quantity at this point
Dirty Car in the Snow (Winter) HELP!

Hi, i haven't washed my car in so long because it's winter and I can't do it by myself. Now my car is sooo f*ing dirty, It's got salt stains and fingerprints and other stuff... ALso, my car is Nighthawk Pearl Black so the car color didn't help at all.... I want to know where to get a good car wash but I'm afraid to have machines wash my car because it might get scratched or something... Any suggestions?? i'm willing to go to a car wash with PEOPLE, not machines wash my car and hand dryed.

What have you guys done to keep your car clean during winter?
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

CaptainAmerica is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Worcester Massachusetts and we have a touchless car wash here called Ernie's. It is VERY good. Essentially the car is washed by a robot that autosenses where the lines of the car begin and end and washes the car using high pressure water with no brushes. Now don't confuse this type of a car wash with the ones you see at a gas station. This car wash does an awesome job of getting the car clean, dried and fairly spotless. People line up on the weekends to get their cars washed at Ernie's. Luckily they move the cars through quickly. Check the link I provided for more details.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

brill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nicebrill is just really nice
well, theres two things ive been doing for winter...
  • take the car for service! I took my car in for an oil change, honda washed it, i crabbed about a few rattles, so they scheduled an appointment, i went to the appointment, they washed it, but i couldnt get my service done that day coz they were short 1 mechanic. So, i took it in again at a scheduled date and they washed it again! how nice... service got done that time too. PLUS for all my trouble they gave me my next oil change free. ANYWHO...
  • go to one of those carwashes that you have to get out of the car and wash it. do a simple procedure of
    - presoak
    - high pressure soap BE SURE TO TOTALLY WASH DOWN THE FOAM BRUSH AT THIS TIME
    - foam brush
    - high pressure rinse
    If it looks like its gonna be dry for a few days, you can take the time to dry it off. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, afterall, its winter! At the local carwashes around here the above procedure costs about $4 as long as you come to the realization that its winter and perfection is futile, you should be able to go in and out for about the same cost.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
keeping my car clean in winter is a bitch. It's also NBP. and the roads have been wet and Sandy. I just go to a hand wash whenever it seems like it's dry and the car will stay clean for at least a day. The first time i washed it this winter it was almost as dirty 2 hours later.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

ZZCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
My Honda dealer will wash mine too, if I get an oil change etc...so that is cool...but in the meantime, I would suggest a touchless car wash as well...get off as much as you can, my car is black as well, and it wont get summer time clean, but close enough for us in the snow areas....unless you have a friend with a heated garage and drain, not much choice, I would avoid the auto washes with brushes, no matter what time of the year it is..[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
I bring mine to a car detailer and get it washed and dried by a chamois, interior vacummed and wiped down, all windows cleaned, wheels and tires cleaned and dressed all for $15
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

oblivious9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jiffy Lube has a touchless car wash. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Sean2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah winter is a pain in the *** for sure... you wash your damn car and 20 seconds of driving and it ends up looking like it did before... i think that idea of goin for the oil change and the appointment for rattles or what not is a great idea for sure... im for sure gunna take advantage of that one... thanks!
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Well, washed my car today. probably gonna wash it again tommarow [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]. Dirty already, but I expected that. Gee, I've noticed a lot of rattle's lately. better have then dealt with. One at a time.
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Macko is an unknown quantity at this point
I WASH IT IN THE GARAGE... My dad is like "WTF you doing?"
me: why did you bother painting the floor, wall and sealing it..
dad: true
me: *BIG SMILE ON MY FACE*
dad: *WALKS BACK INTO THE HOUSE*
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Nice, I wish I had a Drained, and heated garage, At least it's attached. So i can work on my car in the winter.
Old 01-19-2002
Registered!!

veloce is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter in Ohio sucks. I go to a soft cloth wash at least once a week. If the temperature stays above 20 degrees, I take it home, put it in the garage and go over it with quick detailer from Mequires. The car wash that I go to does full service and offers detailing services. It has a great reputation for keeping cars looking new!
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point

<< take the car for service! I took my car in for an oil change, honda washed it, i crabbed about a few rattles, so they scheduled an appointment, i went to the appointment, they washed it, but i couldnt get my service done that day coz they were short 1 mechanic. So, i took it in again at a scheduled date and they washed it again! >>

Best to not let a dealership wash your car... they are usually in a rush and will not do that great of a job. Their washing materials may also not be entirely clean from previous washes and may add more swirls to your car. Best to wash it yourself or use a touchless car wash.

<< I go to a soft cloth wash at least once a week >>

Better to use a touchless car wash. Soft cloth picks up a lotta dirt from previous vehicles.
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Do what I do and Have always done..Winter.. never ever ever ever wash the car.. the dirt adds a specially formulated protective layer... Fall... Get the car rust proofed have the undercarriage greased.. and use rubberized undercoar in the fenderwells..

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 02-18-2002
Registered!!

Stylingcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I put in fog lights at Honda and they washed my car and left a nice big scratch. My story
Old 02-19-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Mohawk offered the best advice. Get a good layer of dirt going during the winter, and let it stay there. If there happens to be some sunny warm days, wash it, but let the layers of dirt build up again.