Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
Windshield question

some questions...

Does this happen to anyone elses windshield?

1) notice how the water gathers where the wiper blades end and change directions...is that a result of me using rain-x?

2) i heard rain-x leaves some sort of residue on my windshield? is that true?
3) is there a product that works like rain-x but doesn't have that same downside?
4) whats the best way to clean the outside of the windshield?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	139_3920 copy.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	44615  
Old 01-02-2005
Registered!!

born2xLr8 will become famous soon enough
The only thing i've used to clean my windows inside and out was ammonia (diluted with water). I don't get water gathering like your pic. Maybe you need new blades? It doesn't look like it's wiping clean.
Old 01-02-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
i just replaced them with new ones and cleaned the outside with this turtle wax glass cleaner.
but this happend even before i changed the blades...i thought it was the blades depositing dirt in those areas, but i cleaned it. so my assumption is the rain-x but
Old 01-02-2005
Registered!!

Civic04 is an unknown quantity at this point
glass cleaner dosent always get all he grime off. try useing a LIGHT rubbing compound then the glass cleaner then the rainx. the compound will get the hard to get bugs, and road grime. the glass cleaner will get the stuff the compound leave behind then the rainx will protect the shine.
Old 01-09-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Wax the windshield it works very well
Old 01-09-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
try the mcguires quick detail stuff on the windslhield it beed reel nice but no residue,, of course after you cleaned and let the window dry.
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

danase is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Stoner's invisible Glass to clean the windshield, get a good set of wipers, and ditcht he Rain-x stuff. I have used Rain-x and similar products in the past only to be frusterated by smearing and poor vision.
Old 01-10-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!

i've been impressed with how rain-x works on beading big water drops at low speeds, and having them just slide off the windshield at high speeds...the only time i've been frusterated is when these lines appeared. i'm about to try rubbing alcohol, as that was mentioned on another forum also.
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

civicrice should not be trustedcivicrice should not be trusted
Originally Posted by _Viper_
Wax the windshield it works very well

No, you will leave streak marks when you use your wipers.
Old 02-02-2005
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
clean yer wiperblades after you use them.. most of the crap that gets on yer windshield is roadspray from other cars.. which in turn contains oil, salt, coolant, tranny fluid and just about everything else that drips out of other peoples cars..
those lil alcohol wipes you get from gas stations work great.. sure they are not that great for wiperblades.. but screw it blades are like $5 so who cares if they need to be replaced every 4 months insted of every 6..
Old 02-02-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Meguiars waxes. They keep the water off the window nicely, just beads it all. And when the rain stops and my car dries, you dont even see the drops that much. Looks like I just washed when it stops raining
Old 02-02-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
My blades have lasted me 1.5 years. Thats awesome considering Im in AZ. Dry and hot
Old 02-02-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
I use Meguiars waxes. They keep the water off the window nicely, just beads it all. And when the rain stops and my car dries, you dont even see the drops that much. Looks like I just washed when it stops raining
Grats man, you are the only person I'v ever heard of using wax on a windshield and happy! Usually it s#cks, especially at night.
(I'v been told) amonia is a bad idea on new cars,try a vinagar based glass cleaner. Stoners is great after you do the first cleaning.
When I clean the windshield I also clean the blades.And ya rain-x is kinda iffy in my book to.