Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Carbon Fiber hood oxidizing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoPiE is an unknown quantity at this point
Carbon Fiber hood oxidizing??

At least that is what I think it is.... I just got home after 8 months of not being around my car, give it a wash only to find out that my CF Hood is dull in places... Thought it might need a better wash or some wax. So I do both but it still has a dull look. So I break out the clay bar.... no luck.... Try using polishing compound(by hand) and still no luck. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be that my clear coat (or whatever is used on CF hoods) is messed up or do you think a professional detailer using somepower tools would be able to fix my problem.... I don't want to have to buy another CF hood.... Thank for any help. Sorry if my description was kinda crappy.....
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
ive seen this on hella cars and i was wondering wha that was
Old 08-23-2004
Don't Listen To What Anyone Says, It's Ok To Be Jealous

DrivenConcepts should not be trusted
when you wash your car and its still wet does it look good? does it only look shitty when dry?? if so then it is your clear coat.
Old 08-23-2004
Banned

MeguiarsEM is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like it's bad if you couldn't take it off by hand chances are you're going to need to take it off by machine. I've seen a lot of oxidized CF hoods. A good combo to remove this would be a Dual Action Polisher, Meguiar's Speed Glaze, and NXT Tech wax.

Originally Posted by RoPiE
At least that is what I think it is.... I just got home after 8 months of not being around my car, give it a wash only to find out that my CF Hood is dull in places... Thought it might need a better wash or some wax. So I do both but it still has a dull look. So I break out the clay bar.... no luck.... Try using polishing compound(by hand) and still no luck. Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be that my clear coat (or whatever is used on CF hoods) is messed up or do you think a professional detailer using somepower tools would be able to fix my problem.... I don't want to have to buy another CF hood.... Thank for any help. Sorry if my description was kinda crappy.....

Last edited by MeguiarsEM; 10-06-2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I had it happen on my CF hood. It is under the clearcoat, that is why it doesnt come off. There really isnt much you can do. I too, have also seen many hoods like this.
Old 09-02-2004
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry to revive this thread, but I too have this problem. Someone told me to take my hood into a shop and have them strip/re clearcoat it. Do you think this will work?
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
I'm sorry to revive this thread, but I too have this problem. Someone told me to take my hood into a shop and have them strip/re clearcoat it. Do you think this will work?
I have never heard of anyone doing that. You should ask the company about that though to see if it will even work.
Old 09-02-2004

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, why wouldent it work. You can treat CF (since most isnt a real TRUE composit) just like factory stuff... and if it dosent work I wont be very happy lol, because the hood looks kinda dull in some spots. I'm tried wax cleaner and other cleaners to no avail... well it helped a little but not much. I tohught re clearcoating would be a surefire fix (I mean unless its REALLY f'ed up, but I don't think it is)
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

LOL, why wouldent it work. You can treat CF (since most isnt a real TRUE composit) just like factory stuff... and if it dosent work I wont be very happy lol, because the hood looks kinda dull in some spots. I'm tried wax cleaner and other cleaners to no avail... well it helped a little but not much. I tohught re clearcoating would be a surefire fix (I mean unless its REALLY f'ed up, but I don't think it is)
like I said, call the company who made your hood and ask them. I personally know that when something like that happens, it is just better to get a new and better CF hood.
Old 09-02-2004

LOL, well I just bought it froma friend (on these boards) who got it from another guy (on these boards). So I really would hope that it can be re clearcoated because I'll be mad if i have to pay more money to buy a new one since i just bought this one.
Old 09-02-2004
Registered!!

LOL, well I just bought it froma friend (on these boards) who got it from another guy (on these boards). So I really would hope that it can be re clearcoated because I'll be mad if i have to pay more money to buy a new one since i just bought this one.
that is probably why they sold it.
Old 09-07-2004
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
I would take it to most reputable auto paint shop around and discuss possibility (and cost) of stripping the clear and re-coating the hood.
Old 10-02-2004

Hmm yeah I will since it looks good when it's wet, only looks like crap when it's dry
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, I would first try the combo MeguiarsEM recommended to see if the clearcoat can be restored. If you don't have or know how to use a high speed buffer, take it to a professional detailer.
Old 10-06-2004
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Y must for tha looks? CF hood is light thats all it matters.
Old 10-10-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by VietScouty
Y must for tha looks? CF hood is light thats all it matters.
I bet a majority of kids out there dont buy it cause of the weight. I didnt. I guarentee you most of the people on this site didnt either. They buy it for the looks. Carbon fiber hoods look nice as ****. Besides losing 10 or so Lbs on our car wouldnt do anything.
Old 10-31-2004
Registered!!

jsilvciv is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same on my cf hood and i waxed it and it came back so im going to wax it when i go to shows