Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

my absorber has dried out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
my absorber has dried out!

I left the absorber outside to hang dry, it is now like a board and dried
Do you store it wrapped up wet??
When I dried my car, it is really good at drying like ya'll said, but it sticks to the car sometimes.....
Old 07-13-2004
Ultimate Member

teampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant futureteampointless has a brilliant future
ring it out but leave it a little wet
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by teampointless
ring it out but leave it a little wet
ok dude, so I store it a little wet in the tube , so won't it mildew man?
Old 07-13-2004
Banned

Ramones is an unknown quantity at this point
It won't mildew... been using mine for 2 years now and i leave it wet when i put it back inside the case.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough

Yeah you just hand squeeze it and put it back in the nifty container, no need to "air dry."
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine is always dried out and I just wet it again and it is all better. I stopped using mine though and like the waffle weave microfiber towel much better.
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
i wet mine (soak it in bucket) then ring it out and use it. using while it's hard may scratch the finish. i've had mine for a few years and it just gets better (softer).
Old 07-13-2004
Registered!!

sp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of lightsp3cialk is a glorious beacon of light
i left mine a little damp in the container. and it started to grow mildew because it got really warm in the garage. what should i do to get rid of the mildew and get rid of the smell. should i just bu another one?
Old 07-13-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Just throw it away and get a silicone wiper blade. Or let the car air dry if you use indoor water. I would never wipe my car with that absorber.
Old 07-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sp3cialk
i left mine a little damp in the container. and it started to grow mildew because it got really warm in the garage. what should i do to get rid of the mildew and get rid of the smell. should i just bu another one?
just but another one, there only $10. when i get done using mine, i hang it on a clothes pant hanger until it's done drying. then i fold it and put it away in the container. the reason why it probably grew mildew is because it wasn't able to dry properly (when folded wet in container).
Old 07-17-2004
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a water blade and waffle weave to finish off. If you have a nice paint finish and don't want to mar it, go to pakshak.com and get a set of microfiber towels.
Old 07-17-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure you get the waffle weave and not just regualr microfiber.

I am loving the WW!
Old 07-17-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
get a new one? or you could just soak it and itll be like new again.. mines dried out after i left the cap off a few times, no big deal. and wiper blades suck ***, absorbers are good because your actually polishing the finish
Old 07-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ctx66
get a new one? or you could just soak it and itll be like new again.. mines dried out after i left the cap off a few times, no big deal. and wiper blades suck ***, absorbers are good because your actually polishing the finish
yeah, you can throw it in the laundry washer, and viola... like new again. i love mine, it keeps getting softer with each use and it's very gentle on the cars finish (scratch free) and soaks up alot of water. this is by far, the best thing i've used to dry, and i've used other chamois (leather ones suck). i've had it for a few years, and it's showing no sign of wear or replacement. the absorber + waterblade = best combo!

Last edited by rckdrmr; 07-17-2004 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2004
President

dret is an unknown quantity at this point
NO don't get a new one.. this always happens...

After a wash do what Ramone said.. Rinse is squeeze some of the water out and put it back in the case with the top on.. it will be ready for the wash (in the next few days.. IT will not mildew.. unless you leave it for like years..)

If you have to wash it and put it in the dryer.. then soak it in water let it sit and use...

dam man i wash my car every 2-3 days.. live and learn
Old 07-21-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Ok... stupid question but what are you guys talking about? A Chamois? Is this something i can get at say walmart or target or something?
Old 07-21-2004
President

what.. ok i'be gone through soo many chamois.. and some were really good but they don't even compare the the absorber.. its like a chamois but different material.. yes you can pick them up just about anywhere. about10bucks... the first few times it sucks but once its broken in... it works perfect for drying your car etc..
Old 07-21-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Ok... stupid question but what are you guys talking about? A Chamois? Is this something i can get at say walmart or target or something?
walmart, target, k-mart, pepboys, etc... should have it. it comes in a plastic container, and you get to choose the color you want (yellow, blue, etc..)
Old 07-21-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
Cool. I need something for my car. I always end up using like 2 ****ing towels when I dry it.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

its very similar to a swimmer shamee if youve heard of them.. actually thats what i used before the absorber came out.. a friend whos a swimmer said it works great.. tried it.. and it did.. its sort of like.. a rubber towel that can absorb a ton of water..and then squeeze out and be like new/dry again
Old 07-24-2004

I wanted to thank you guys for bringing this wonderful tool to my attention. I picked one up and have fallen in love. I think i am going to get a second for use in the house for spills, drying my dog after a bath etc. This thing is so cool!

I forgot to mention that I did some testing to see how much water it would hold.

So, I got a large measuring bowl, set it aside. Then I did several experiements to see what happened...

first I got it wet, squeezed out every bit of water I could so it was damp but not overly wet, like for storage.

Then, I got it as wet as it would handle, let excess water drip off until it stopped dripping and wrung it out into the measuring bowl. First try I got 1 and 1/2 cup water.

Second try, same as above, got abut the same, just over 1 and 1/2 cup water.

Third test I let it soak for 10 minutes first, pulled it out and let it drip until it stopped dripping, then wrung it out again. This time I got just under 1 and 2/3 cups water.

Very cool. That is about 3 times what my chamois of the same dimensions would hold on a good day.

Now thats what I call good shizzle.

Last edited by alienmeatsack; 07-24-2004 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

when you get done with it, squeeze all the water out. then, hang it on a pant hanger (the one with two clips) and let it dry. then when it's all dry (you'll feel it) fold/roll it up in the tube. i don't like to put it away in the tube after use, because it may not completely dry correctly and may get a mildewy smell. every now and then, toss it in the laundry to get it clean. it i've had mine for two years, and it only keeps getting softer/better!

Last edited by rckdrmr; 07-24-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

when mine dries its like cardboard. i just squeeze as much water out as i can with my hands, then just put it back into the tube, never had any mildew smell problems
Old 08-03-2004
Registered!!

02EXCoupeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Throw it in the wash and it'll be good as new, after it's done put it in the tube.
Old 08-03-2004
President

everyone should own one
Old 08-04-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dret
everyone should own one
amen brotha
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

yes, I love my absorber, it is now damp again , soft , and back in the tube until my next wash, thanks for the tips ya'll!
Old 08-16-2004
Cat

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold
I love mine!
Old 08-16-2004

I think I need a second one to leave in my car for when I wash at a car wash. I need to wash it bad today and am afraid to because the spotting will require me to wash again. I hate double washing.