Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

DIY: Full Auto Detail

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermezzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Good info...However I have a few issues with what you posted.

1. I don't think it's a good idea to recommend a direct-drive rotary buffer without going into more detail. Why? It's a very effective tool, but it can also be very dangerous for a person without experience. I think it needs to be emphasized just how easily you can burn right through your paint (not to mention, ruin your trim) with a rotary. Also, no mention about how thin clear-coat tends to be on the edges of panels... No mention of the different kinds of pads to be used.... no mention on what kinds of compounds...etc..etc.. And how about the most important thing about using a Rotary....never use speeds in excess of 1500 RPM?? Basically, what I'm trying to say is that no one should use a rotary on their car without first learning all they can and also practicing on a junky panel from an auto-yard first.

2. You say that the entire procedure you listed should be done twice a year? Hmmm, well how long is your clear-coat going to last then? As I'm sure you know, the majority of the UV protection in clear coats is in the top .3MM layer. After about 3-4 sessions with a rotary, that part of your clear will be gone and you're basically accelerating the process of clear-coat failure on your car. I agree with CivicDude. A rotary should only be used on paints that need major-swirl removal....not on cars that are new or just 1 year old.

I personally, would use a good quality random-orbital machine for regular polishing and waxing and break out the rotary only with cars that need serious help. Rotary buffers are not meant to apply wax....they were meant to correct serious paint problems.

Also, you wrote, "Do not apply pressure to the buffer unless you know what you are doing"... I would revise that to "Never ever apply pressure to the rotary at all....if you know what you're doing!! Absolutely none!"

Just my two cents...
Old 09-25-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civicdude will become famous soon enough
Intermezzo is right....NEVER APPLY PRESSURE....This is how you create swirls and can also burn the paint.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

Intermezzo is an unknown quantity at this point
I've seen many high-end cars with holographic-looking buffer swirls, obviously detailed with a rotary by someone that didn't know what they were doing. Don't let that happen to your car.

For a good thread on using rotary buffers, click the link below:

Rotary Buffers
Old 04-24-2003
Finally a Z Owner

Robert_K is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude good post, But you should Vacuum your car out first. That way any dush and dirt that land on the car will be washed off.
Old 04-26-2003
Registered!!

Panic is an unknown quantity at this point
Dress the trim before you polish, wax or glaze. If you do that it will be very easy to wipe any excess wax off you got on the trim.
Old 04-26-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by Panic
Dress the trim before you polish, wax or glaze. If you do that it will be very easy to wipe any excess wax off you got on the trim.
Thats not a good idea. If you are wiping off the wax and you accidently hit the trim that has been dressed, you will get it all over the paint and it is hard to remove. I would just try to avoid the trim and any crevice whiel you are applying the wax.
Old 07-12-2003
Lax Playa

NCStyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah that's a lot of money they charge to do your car, I'd rather try to do atleast something like the guy said that posted this myself. You get better at it the more times you do it I'm sure, like civicdude could probably do it really fast cause he's done it a bunch of times. I think it's worth it to try it yourself...
Old 07-12-2003
Premium Member

Yes you should try it yourself, especially if you dont have the cash to lay out....but if you dont or your too lazy, and you are on Long Island in NY.....I will do it for you....For a fee of course lol
Old 09-17-2003
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
engine shouldn't be cool. it should be warm to the touch when washing.
where did this info come from?
Old 09-17-2003
OyD
Registered!!

OyD is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, look at that. I finally hit 1000 posts
Old 09-17-2003
Premium Member

Engine should of run for 5 minutes....So if the engine is warm when you clean it the dirt comes off easier.
Old 10-14-2003
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
hmmm and make sure your engine is on if you "mist" or spray it...
Old 10-14-2003
Premium Member

It shouldnt be running when you spray it with chemical because the chemical will go flying all over the car, you and possibly land in your eyes and you do not want that.

You spray the car off...and then when you goto hose it off you start it up before.
Old 10-29-2003

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ImmortalEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn. I posted that sooooooooooo long ago..
Old 11-04-2003
Registered!!

owens76 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 03 civic and when I had my body kit put on, the bodyshop painted the sideskirts while installed on the car and got clearcoat overspray all over. They buffed it off, but now my whole car is swirls...what can I do? My car is nightwawk pearl.
Old 11-11-2003
Premium Member

You can bring it back to the body shop and tell them to remove all the swirls that they caused on your paint. The need to use swirl remover or glaze, a high speed polishing machine and a foam pad.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, newb like question I'm sure. When cleaning and dressing engine, when you hose it off, what about the air intake? won't it get water in it? I just got a fipkII and, well, the rest of the engine looks nasty
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
bump......anyone? hello?
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

albs is an unknown quantity at this point
Cover your air intake with a plastic bag.

Here's some other tips:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3198579&page=8

I'm not sure about the "strong stream of water" in step 5. I'd do that only if necessary.
I usually use a gentle stream. That way I won't force any water into the electrical connectors/components.
Old 04-07-2004
Registered!!

dancanibus is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone know of a good place to get a exterior detail, SO CAL, Los angeles. planing to get my car detailed.
Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

meanirsk is an unknown quantity at this point
i am a professional detailer we use something called diamond shine for waxing,,,i use it as the last step it is wonderful please soncatc your local chemical supply company
Old 08-16-2004
Registered!!

Jas88 is an unknown quantity at this point
For Cleaning windows I use (Stoner Invisible Glass) Its a foam so you dont have to worry about it dripping down.
Old 09-20-2004
I can resist everything except temptation.

ffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the roughffokuf is a jewel in the rough
Just for some late information. After reading this and the posts on how/when to dress and avoid the trim in the buffing/waxing process I have something to add. I find it easier to use 3M's painters tape (the blue stuff!). Just tape off all of your trim peices that may get in the way before you get started polishing or waxing and it will enable to you wax closer and keep your trim clean and free of the products you are using on the paint. Some may see it as a pain in the butt to tape off the trim peices, but at the same time that 15 minutes you spend there may just save you the 15 minutes you use up going slow trying to avoid waxing the trim peices. Just my .02 FYI!
Old 12-07-2004
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
I hand wash and wax my 2004 civic lx coupe every saturday whether it needs it or not. I enjoy it, and I always have a sharp looking car. I used Mc Guiars NXT polish the first four times or so, the rest of the time i have been using Mcguiars Gold paste wax. This past Saturday I waxed it twice, is that too much? my car looks like glass, and i don't use a power buffer.
Old 12-30-2004
Registered!!

98oRange is an unknown quantity at this point
Clay bar.
I spend 4-6 hours claybaring and waxing.
take off all the soot and dirt particles soap dosent remove. I get a sweet glow after a waxjob. Megiuars 3-step.
And if your running rich and have exhaust soot meguires paint cleaner <step one of the three> takes it off like a champ.
Old 12-30-2004
Registered!!

98oRange is an unknown quantity at this point
and if you have a powdercoatedvalve cover I do not recommend using purple power <degreaser> or anything with alkylines unless you spray it off immediately
Old 06-07-2005
Registered!!

Upstate Si is an unknown quantity at this point
many think Zaino is best

On the Acura TL forum, at least: http://tl.acurazine.com/

Example w/ pictures: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114825

It's a wax-like product, that's fairly expensive, but fairly simple to apply (it polishes off easily by hand w/ no need for buffers which might bring in swirls). It also seems to last longer than other waxes. On my black TL the results have been very impressive, and I was pleased with how the #5 polish took swirls out of my one-year old "new" white Civic Si as well. Check the TL forum above for details, or go to the zainostore.com site. (Note that there are some skeptics on acurazine who like Meguirs just as well, too. I'm not selling the stuff!)
Old 07-19-2005
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
nice work on the psot...very good in-detail of car wash..u got some ponit i NEVER clean..lol.
Old 07-19-2005
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
nice work on the psot...very good in-detail of car wash..u got some points i NEVER clean..lol.
Old 07-19-2005
The World Is Yours!

using some NuFinish polish give a nice, glossy shine to the car..i love it!

Quick Reply: DIY: Full Auto Detail