Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Power drill attachment for waxing/polishing?

Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
Power drill attachment for waxing/polishing?

I saw this on tv, and I'm not sure if it's a common attachment....

Are there waxing/polishing attachments available that you can attach to a power drill so that you can use it to polish/wax your car??

Imagine your usual car wash with those "shammy dreadlocks" hanging down, and spinning around and around, smacking your car.... Is there anything like that, readily available, that I can attach to a power drill??

I'm too cheap to buy the Simoniz cordless polisher
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
I know I've seen one before, but honestly I don't think it's a good idea. I would think that thing would cause more problems (swirls, burn paint, etc...) than it would take care of. Just do it by hand.

If you decide to take the plunge and buy a real buffer, get a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital buffer for about $130 or so. It is the best investment you will ever make. In either case, good luck.

Last edited by mogwai; 05-19-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
The best way to get a great wax jobh is to do it by hand. The buffers have a tendency to leave swirl marks like crazy. I realize its a hard job but well worth it when you car looks like its paint is still new after a few years. I wouldnt recomend using a power buffer.
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

albs is an unknown quantity at this point
The PC 7424 will NOT cause swirl marks.
It's a random orbital buffer, not circular. It is very easy to use. It doesn't generate the heat that a circular does, which makes it a lot safer to use than a circular polisher.
The 7424 is one of the best investments I ever made. Hand waxing is a thing of the past for me. Although I still apply my Klasse SG by hand, it's mainly because the SG only needs a really thin coat, and if I use the 7424, I'll probably put on too much.

The BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. guys love the PC, although these guys have no problems with spending the $200 or so on the PC and pads. They've learned that to really keep their $$$$ cars lookiing good, you have to have the right tools.

Here's some links:

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/7/po..._buffer.1.html
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1430487&page=1
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=14213
http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html
Old 05-22-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
Originally Posted by albs
The BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc. guys love the PC, although these guys have no problems with spending the $200 or so on the PC and pads. They've learned that to really keep their $$$$ cars lookiing good, you have to have the right tools.
Yea... Honestly you do get a better "Shine" but, you are still waxing it and everything when you do it by hand, so you are still protecting the paint. Wait till you get more of a luxurious car, then make sure nothing touches it!