Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Rock chips on front of car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicSi is an unknown quantity at this point
Rock chips on front of car

My front bumpers shot with rock chips and its got this white haze on it, tried everything to get it off but doesnt work, the thing is this is not my original bumper, when i got my car fixed they put in a bumper off a red civic and painted it blue to match my paint, my question is someone is selling a brand new bumper primed black never been painted before. If i get this and get it painted will i still get the chips on my front bumper? because i never had this problem before with my stock bumper. I do alot of highway driving.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
You will always get rock chips. My stock bumper and lip have at least 20-30 chips all over. No avoiding it.
Old 05-12-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
You can actually buy a "film" that goes over the hood, fenders, and front bumper. Its like a lamination of the car but, It will help reduce the risk of damage to the clear coat and paint of the car.

There are a whole bunch of companys that produce this stuff, so you gotta search around... Heres an example of what I mean,

http://www.lamin-x.com/PaintProtection.html

<><><><><>

http://www.rockblocker.com/

cool stuff , Im going to be getting the film to go over headlights
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by gearbox
You will always get rock chips. No avoiding it.
exacty ^^^
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

civicSi is an unknown quantity at this point
allright thanks guys, im gonna check out the film
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

rockblocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice pics up there, LOL. I thought I would chime in here and try to help enlighten the clear bra material some more. A buddy of mine told me about this thread so I thought I would check it out.

The paint protection film is designed to prevent rocks and other foreign debris from damaging your paint and it really works!! The best parts are it is clear, has a clear coat for waxing and will not harm the paint. We are receiving the new 3M material anyday now. This stuff is suppose to rock.

The headlight protection offers two things to pitting of the lens and/or breaking of the lens which can be very expensive.

The products have been around for more than ten years and hundreds of thousands of vehicles are driving on the road with the product and you dont even know or see it.

Here is a pic with the whole front end done.

If there anymore questions about the product please feel free to let me know. Glad to help out with people who want to learn more about the product.
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

the thing i don't like about those bras, etc.. is after a while (over the years) if your car starts to lightly discolor, then the part you covered will be darker and will not match the rest of the car. you have like a few scratches here and there on the side and back, etc.. and the front will be like totally new. let's face it... scratches, dings, rock chips are going to happen, especially on the front of your car where it makes the most contact with the road first.
Old 05-12-2004
Registered!!

the thing i don't like about those bras, etc.. is after a while (over the years) if your car starts to lightly discolor, then the part you covered will be darker and will not match the rest of the car.
That is a myth. The film will not effect the paint fade where the product is or isnt. Many people think that would be the case. I have removed film from blue and black cars after six years and saw no issue of paint differences at all.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, just thought I would share some on my knowledge and experience.
Old 05-13-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by rockblocker
Everyone has a right to an opinion, just thought I would share some on my knowledge and experience.
i'm not knocking your opinion, i was just stating mine. it's just like anywhere else on the car, it's gonna get scratched, ding, stonechip, etc... no matter what.
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

george19 is an unknown quantity at this point
dude, i had that crap on my front bumper and when taking it off, it removed all of the clear coat. complete wast of money!
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
dude

try to use the "masking" wax...

i used the chip stik kinda thing from TurtleWax.....masking with the shade of black..

it's working nicely..

just wax around with the "black" wax...and it will mask ur light chips....
i think, too much touch up paint will make ur hood looks funny....from a certain angle...

well, it does work with "lite" chips.....especially those "hundreds" chips on the front side of the hood..

anyway, it's available in different colors...
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by george19
dude, i had that crap on my front bumper and when taking it off, it removed all of the clear coat. complete wast of money!
The only times the 3M product will remove the clear coat is if the area has been incorrectly painted or if you carelessly take it off by ripping on it. There are techniques and ways to reduce this from happening. I have removed kits that are over five years old just to see what it looks like underneath and havent seen any problems or caused any.

Sorry to hear that happened to you though, bummer deal