Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Cleaning Engine Bay. Preparations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004
< My future wife.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Question Cleaning Engine Bay. Preparations?

Just wondering... is there anything I should do before I BLAST my engine bay with water?

Can I use water and soapy water?

I was going to take it to flagship carwash and DIY it with a billion different types of soaps and water.

Maybe I should cover my battery and my intake box?

I've never done this in my life and I don't want to ruin my whole car so I'll need some advice.
Old 04-12-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
detail forum...

ask civicdude, hes the detail man
Old 04-12-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
you can either cover your battery, alternator and intake

or you can spray it down and don't drive it for a few hours.
Old 04-12-2004
Registered!!

rokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura aboutrokenrolcivic has a spectacular aura about
Also you should also not spray water on a hot engine, cause you could crack the block. Am I right on this?
Old 04-12-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Well if your engine is hot and u sprayed hot water I don't see what the problem would be.
Old 04-12-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Cause the "hot" water you spray will br nothing close to the temp. of your engine. Do it when the engine is cooled down.

Here is an engine we did a little bit ago. Use a citrus based cleaner on it to get the heavier stuff off, then Poorboy's Spray and Wipe to clean it in more detail and the plastic and rubber were treated with Poorboy's Natural Look.

http://www.danase.com/gallery/album01
Old 04-12-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
I use a engine cleaner and the use Meguiar's Detailer Engine Kote.

http://www.autogeek.net/medeenko.html
Old 04-13-2004
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Damm thats like night and day, looks good. I need to do mine too hope it turns out like that.

Originally posted by bobbyd
Cause the "hot" water you spray will br nothing close to the temp. of your engine. Do it when the engine is cooled down.

Here is an engine we did a little bit ago. Use a citrus based cleaner on it to get the heavier stuff off, then Poorboy's Spray and Wipe to clean it in more detail and the plastic and rubber were treated with Poorboy's Natural Look.

http://www.danase.com/gallery/album01
Old 04-13-2004
Registered!!

HomerSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
When I clean mine I usually cover the battery, alternator, and intake filter. I then spray it with a heavy coating of automotive simple green, let it sit for like 20-25 minutes and then hose it off and repeat as needed. It usually comes clean after 2 or 3 times.