Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

how do I pressure wash my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miklovo is an unknown quantity at this point
how do I pressure wash my engine???

I have an 01 coupe with headers, CAI, and catback exaust. How am I supposed to pressure wash the engine bay? It's getting pretty greasy and dirty and it's buggin' the hell out of me, but I'm afraid that if I wash it with the pressure hose its gonna get in my intake and get sucked into the engine. also I have a bypass valve on my intake so that is a prob too. I've been told to just get like some plastic and just cover these things and It son't be a prob. but I dont knoW?!?
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

should I use a degreaser or just hot water? I've got a chrome DC Upper Strut bar that might get damaged with the degreaser...**** i don't know, I'm new at all this!!! Tips gladly welcomed!!!
Old 03-02-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
please explain to me why water would get sucked up your intake during the wash. Its not like you would have your engine running while your washing it, unless you're a complete idiot. And even still, pressure washing is just shooting water out of a hose at a high force.
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

I realize that the car isn't running when I wash the engine it's when you start the car again, I just wanna make sure nothing's gonna get into my engine. i know this sounds like an idiodic question but I just wanna make sure i'm not forgetting anything...
Old 03-02-2004
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
--> detailing forum
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
ok this is what you do. you cover the intake, bypass valve, alternator and the coilpacks with plastic wrap like seran wrap. then just spray the degreaser in the engine bay and let it sit for a while. after that, just get a hose (doesnt need to be hot water) with a valve thingy on it and spray it down til all the degreaser is gone.

oh, about he starting the car thing. some people start the car when washing the engine. they do this because it will make the alternator to run and thus reducing the chances of you ruining your alternator by getting water into it. of course dont wash the engine when its hot.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

03white5spd4d is an unknown quantity at this point
dont pressure wash your engine, to many sensitve electronics that cost big $$$$. do this instead. take aluminum foil and cover your filter, alternator and any harnesses you can find. then start up your car and let it warm up until you see the coolant gauge start to rise. next spray some water on motor. next spray greased lightning's citrus degreaser on motor. any really dirty parts use a tooth brush. rinse with water, let dry. remove foil and dress motor. make sure the stream of water is not spraying hard, i personally use spray bottles filled w/ water.