Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

permanent water marks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004
Bodacious Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question permanent water marks?

OK, first off, I don't read the detailing forums all that much, so I don't know how bad this is. Im not that crazy about detailing, but this has got me pissed... here goes nothing.

So a couple of weeks ago I took my car to one of those auto carwashes...not a normal one though. This one was "touch-free", so no big brushes or anything. It just sprays soap and crap onto your car, and uses water to rinse it off, and a big fan to dry it. It looked alright, but then I noticed water marks all over my car (you know, like I just left water on it to dry). I was unhappy, but nothing major. So I just washed my car today; did it myself, the right way. And they're still there! Shouldn't water marks be gone if I wash the car again? They aren't really noticable, but if you get in close, you can definitely see then, especially on the hood. What can I do about this? Thanks.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

rckdrmr is on a distinguished road
it sounds like hard water mineral deposit spots (get them after it rains). just wax your car or use some meguairs (doesn't have to be that brand) quik detailer/clay bar after you've washed your car, and they should go away. washing doesn't always get all the water/deposit spots, so by claying and waxing it gets down deeper into the finish to remove industrial fallout, water spots, etc...
Old 01-04-2004
Bodacious Member

awesome, thanks. I go back to school tomorrow though, and the temperature plummets again, so I don't know when I'll have a chance. (as for the temperature, it was 65 here yesterday and today, which is why I washed my car)
Old 01-04-2004
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
hey i would say BEFORE waxing, clay bar the entire area (or the entire car, like me) that has spots. next time, don't go to machine wash place. i don't care if it's touchless.

water can sometimes be harmful, yes even the waster that comes our of the hose you use. just protect your paint by using adequate soap, dry the entire car off, clay and wax it periodically. try not letting the water sit on your unprotected paint (paint that has not been waxed in a while).

i hope we have helped.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Water that sits on unprotected paint and even on protected paint for long periods of time is harmful. The heat of the suns rays cause the water to etch into the paints clear coat causing those spots. The only thing you can do is clean the car WELL> By hand. Then use a clay bar system, no matter how tedious it might be its worth it in the long run. IT will makes things somewhat smoother again. Depending on how bad the paints condition is you will still get a great result from this method. After that general car cleaning , polishing, paint cleaning and waxing will make it last.
Old 01-08-2004
Bodacious Member

i need to try the bar once it gets warm around here...right now its snowing, so its not happening anytime soon