SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

04 DX Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potentia is an unknown quantity at this point
04 DX Engine Swap

Hello there!

So, I'm not particularly keen on these sort of things. However, I was wondering if you folks could point me in the right direction.

I have an 04 Honda Civic DX. So, manual windows and locks, the most basic package. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the current engine with a VTEC, or any other more powerful engine?
Old 09-21-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 DX Engine Swap

Indeed it is. Your car is rocking a D17A1 motor, 1.7L non-vtec engine in the 2001-2005 civics. A half step up would be swapping the ex (Canadian Si) engine in, the D17A2. The engine would mate right up to your current transmission and possibly motor mounts. I'm not 100% sure whether or not the d17a1 mounts are the same as the D17A2. I don't see why they wouldn't since the only difference is all internal to the engine. You would need the engine, engine wiring harness, and either a) an ecu, in which you would need your keys reprogrammed or b) a VTEC controller (e.g. A'PEXi VAFC-II). If you use your current transmission, you'll still be a hair slower than a stock 2001-2005 ex since the dx/lx have transmissions with longer gears.

Alternatively, if you want a lot more power, you're looking at a k20 swap (RSX, Civic Si/SiR). There is a lot more that goes into that swap, but it's very doable. Back when I was looking at doing that swap, it would have run me $6k (back in 2005-2007). Nowadays, it might be cheaper, but you'd still have to put in the wrench time. Things needed: Motor and tranny, subframe, motor mounts designed for a K20 swap into a d17 engine bay (hasport makes some for $550), ecu, axles, possibly some front suspension stuff. Check out this link https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ming-soon.html