SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps Post information/questions about non-VTEC VTEC D-series engines here.

JDM d17 motor swap question

Old 06-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
irochos101 is an unknown quantity at this point
JDM d17 motor swap question

Hey guys quick question, I have an 03 civic ex (v-tec) and my motor just died on me. I ordered a Japanese d17 v-tec and i'm about to put it in. My question is, do I have to switch any of my sensors out from my old motor to the jdm one (like the coolant temp sensor or anything) to avoid any conflicts with my stock ecu? Or will everything work with my ecu as is? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 07-10-2011
Registered!!

7thgenSpoolin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JDM d17 motor swap question

I would like to know as well!
Old 07-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

That depends... You really shouldnt have to do much unlessss...

Did you order an 01-03 or an 04-05? There are differences y'know.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

clobb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
That depends... You really shouldnt have to do much unlessss...

Did you order an 01-03 or an 04-05? There are differences y'know.
...no i dont know, please enlighten me
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

how do you get a jdm d17 they were built in ohio and then shipped over to foreign countries

engines are all the same and so are the sensors (except o2 sensors which are on the exhaust so it doesn't matter) its the wiring harness that is different which you just unplug and use your old wiring harness.
Old 11-13-2011
Registered!!

j_dock69 will become famous soon enough

i have a '02 dx sedan and i'm swapping in a '05 'a2 with engine harness and ecu. i want to run the dx exhaust until i get custom piping. ive read that the 04-05 have different wideband o2 sensors than 01-03. i need to know pinouts and wiring info to make this possible with my megan dx header. is this all even possible?
Old 11-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Why not just use the 01-03 ecu and sensors with the 05 engine and bypass the headaches all together ?
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Doesn't the motor and ecu have to match? What about vtec?
Old 11-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there is too much mixing and matching going on here to be sure. yes the oxygen sensors are different, and yes the ecu has a different program for this and possibly other things as well. i dont know if anyone has ever done something like this. you do need a vtec ecu for a vtec engine, and make sure its the right trans type (auto ecu for auto trans for example). if you use a different ecu, your old keys will no longer work til you take it to the dealer and have them reprogram everything. i guess you can use the dx exhaust but im not sure how the ecu will react because the ex has a completely different system with the cat under the car instead of in the manifold.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

If you're swapping out a vtec engine for another vtec engine, the 03 ecu will work fine, and you can keep your narrowband O2 Sensors. the rest of the sensors should all work fine.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

So i am in the process of swapping a 03 ex motor into a 04 ex. I blew my 04 motor, rod knocking bad. What if anything is different?
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

Maybe your o2 sensors
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

The o2 sensors on the 04 are wideband, but not on the 03. Using your same ecu and sensors, you should be fine.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Aetoc
The o2 sensors on the 04 are wideband, but not on the 03. Using your same ecu and sensors, you should be fine.
So do i have to switch all the sensors? Or just resuse my o2?
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

ok so what about using my original engine harness and ecu from the car and swapping in the '05 d17a2 and using vafc2?
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Can you even find them anymore? I thought they were discontinued
Old 11-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j_dock69
ok so what about using my original engine harness and ecu from the car and swapping in the '05 d17a2 and using vafc2?
Seriously, I think the 01-03 ecu will run an 04-05 d17a2.

No one has shown me any difference in the engine itself.
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Seriously, I think the 01-03 ecu will run an 04-05 d17a2.

No one has shown me any difference in the engine itself.

So my original non vtec ecu will work with a vtec motor how?
And I can pick up a used vafc2 for 150
Old 11-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

So my original non vtec ecu will work with a vtec motor how?
And I can pick up a used vafc2 for 150
I missed that part, two people both swapping d17s in the same thread gets a bit confusing.

If you try running the 05 ecu i think you're going to have 02 sensor problems, so unless you want to order $600 worth of wideband 02 sensors, I'd run an 01-03 ecu with vafc2. Unless vafc2 is capable of disabling the 02 sensor codes.. I don't think it can though
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Oooooook. Now we're talkin. Thanks for the confirmation man. I'll tell buddy I'm takin his apexi and use the stock exhaust for now
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

civydcex, use the o2 sensors you already have with your current ecu and you will be fine. MindBomber knows his shizz.
Old 11-15-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I missed that part, two people both swapping d17s in the same thread gets a bit confusing.

If you try running the 05 ecu i think you're going to have 02 sensor problems, so unless you want to order $600 worth of wideband 02 sensors, I'd run an 01-03 ecu with vafc2. Unless vafc2 is capable of disabling the 02 sensor codes.. I don't think it can though
I should have been more specific in this post, use an 01-03 a2 ecu.

I was on my phone in between classes, didn't do a quick proof read like usual.

Oooooook. Now we're talkin. Thanks for the confirmation man. I'll tell buddy I'm takin his apexi and use the stock exhaust for now
Old 11-16-2011
Registered!!

So mindbomber, I am able to install the new motor using the old harness and ecu with vafc2 controlling vtec correct? I just want to clarify before I PayPal for the vafc2 thanks
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Ok slight change in plans. The vafc2 fell through so now I'm looking into an afc neo. Does the DIY for the vafc2 work for this and do you think I should buy a used one off eBay or buy brand new?
Old 11-17-2011
Registered!!

Hardcoresteve is an unknown quantity at this point

So mindbomber, I am able to install the new motor using the old harness and ecu with vafc2 controlling vtec correct? I just want to clarify before I PayPal for the vafc2 thanks
not sure of the differences from year to year, but I swapped my 05 a1 to an 05 a2. I got an 05 ex ecu for $200.(it had the pigtails in it...they just cut the wires)i just used two of the ecu pins and added them to the dx harness. In other words you can use the dx harness with the ex ecu/ a2 engine if you just add the two wires for vtec.
this also made it easy to use the stock dx exhaust and sensors.
(i now have a ex manifold back all 2.25".....i just cut and extended the o2 wires)
Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Ok slight change in plans. The vafc2 fell through so now I'm looking into an afc neo. Does the DIY for the vafc2 work for this and do you think I should buy a used one off eBay or buy brand new?
Neo isn't as good as Vafc2, I'm not to familiar with it overall though.

On my car, I would just go with the tried and tested vafc2 and order a used one off ebay.
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

found a used vafc2 on ebay for 160 delivered from florida, hopefully be waiting for me when i get home in 2 wks. i wish i could just get this swap finished, next month ill get 2.25" exhaust from the header back, then its a set of rockers and energy suspension bushings throughout the whole suspension. there's 335k kms on the chassis so suspension needs upgrading
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Heisrisen007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive done the swap from Ex to hx on my 02 hx and didnt need to used that vfaq thing, but ur dx so yeah I guess I have a rebuilt 02-05 ex head for sale and new throtle body with warrenty less than 100 miles on it also vtec silinoid.. Pm me make sure u used new head bolts..
Old 11-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Heisrisen007
Ive done the swap from Ex to hx on my 02 hx and didnt need to used that vfaq thing, but ur dx so yeah I guess I have a rebuilt 02-05 ex head for sale and new throtle body with warrenty less than 100 miles on it also vtec silinoid.. Pm me make sure u used new head bolts..
Thanks but I've already got a complete d17a2 with all wires, ac comp, alt, pwr st, belts, and manual tranny. Ive had it in storage for 3 yrs. I've got a high mileage d17a1 if anyone needs parts lol
Old 12-10-2011
Registered!!

finished my swap using the vafc2 and the classic head swap diy. everything is working fine so far, d17a1 ecu, engine harness, complete '05 d17a2 w/ tranny, apexi vafc2, full dx exhaust from megan header back, competition clutch stage 1, comp clutch lw flywheel, neuspeed sport springs. my car is way better now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JDM d17 motor swap question