Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

ATTN: Turbo Wannabe's: Missing Link Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
ATTN: Turbo Wannabe's: Missing Link Valve

First off I'de like to thank all of those who donated their money to this cause. You know who you are. Without your help I would have had to wait a little longer before I could buy this product.

For those of you who don't know what this thread is about... It's about the Missing Link Valve from Synapse Engineering. This valve protects the stock map sensor from too much pressure when the turbo kicks in and it also allows the map sensor to read slight changes in pressure so that the ECU can still adjust the fuel for various altitudes.

Now, for those of you who said to get the ML001: You were right and you were wrong. It's the only one that has a chance of fitting, but not without serious modification. Either the stock map sensor has to be modified, or the Missing Link Valve could be modified.

I will be modifying the Missing Link Valve since I don't want to destroy the stock MAP sensor and not be able to return the car back to stock if I decided to sell it. This will involve drilling out the holes within the Missing Link, cutting off one of the mounting points (mostly for appearance), and adding on a little extention for support.

I will be doing this soon and I will write up a DIY so that people know what to do.

Here's some pics...

Old 03-18-2003
Registered!!

JohnyBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
What about not using check valves at all? You can use the GReddy e-Manage to electronically hide the boost from the stock ECU and let the e-Manage also control your injectors. Wouldn't that work?

--jB

Last edited by JohnyBlaze; 03-18-2003 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2003
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
See i was stuck with that problem too. i remember asking you about this that it wont fit.i dont know how your gonna make that work.one screw is not good enough to hold it down and have a good seal.i think the other type of missing link would be easier to modify.i hope you can find a way though.
Old 03-18-2003
DIY King

One screw would be okay as long as I can make the same kind of extention as the stock sensor has. Then it would seal properly.

The Greddy E-Manage can't "hide" the positive manifold pressure past a certain PSI. Plus, the stock MAP sensor will only read up to a certain PSI. Then it'll simply die.

I think I can make it work. This is THE one to have though. The other missing link types don't look like the proper ones to have. One has the holes spaced too far out and the other is simply not feasable.
Old 03-18-2003
Registered!!

I'll let you know how the GReddy E-Manage works out -- I'm actually trying to do it without the Missing Link. I've upgraded all four injectors with 450cc DSM injectors and put in a larger Denso fuel pump as well.

The stock MAP sensor will feed the E-Manage which in turn alters signals going to the stock ECU.

I already have the car idling with the large injectors being controlled by the stock ECU + E-Manage.

My only concern is the stock MAP sensor physically popping under boost. But from what I've heard, previous gen Civic MAP sensors were good to 11psi, so I assume ours will be fine for 8psi, which seems to be the magic number for safe boost.

--jB
Old 03-18-2003
DIY King

Very interested. Please do.
Old 03-20-2003
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
JB:
Some told me that the DSM 450cc(blue Top) wouldn't fit on our cars?
are these the same ones you used?
and did you upgrade fuel reai and FPR?
Old 03-20-2003
Registered!!

Yes, the fuel rail and intake manifold had to be modified to fit the 450cc DSM injectors (correct, the ones with the blue top).

As for the GReddy e-Manage, here's essentially what is happening:

- e-Manage gets input from the stock MAP sensor, TPS, RPM indicator, and GReddy pressure sensor

- stock ECU gets input from ALL stock sensors (throttle position, RPM, O2 sensors, air temp, atmospheric pressure, etc.) EXCEPT for the MAP reading which it now gets from the e-Manage (a modified signal to hide boost -- basically a voltage clamp), plus various other signals modified by the e-Manage

- ignition and injection signals outputted by stock ECU are intercepted by the e-Manage instead of reaching the injectors and ignition coils

- e-Manage modifies injection and ignition signals based on inputs: MAP, throttle, RPM, boost pressure

- injectors and ignition coils receive (modified) firing signals from the e-Manage

The whole system should run really well. I think this is a pretty clean approach, no need for check valves, no injectors in the intake tract, properly retarded timing, etc. Note that to do it this way, you need to buy the optional GReddy pressure sensor, injection harness, ignition harness, and support software. This brings the cost of fuel/spark management to about $750.

I'll let you know how it all works/runs after it's tuned.

In case you're wondering, I'll be running a Mitsu 16G turbo @ 8psi. This is the manifold I'm using: http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/dav...7manifold.html -- although, I will have it ceramic coated (along with the O2 housing and turbine).

The setup will be cooled by a Griffen top-to-bottom FMIC. It's not as large or "pretty" as a huge side-to-side FMIC, but it's more than enough for 8psi, and it'll go well if you're not looking to grab too much attention.

I'll probably post pics once it's done (expecting March 28). I may not though cuz I don't want people to recognize my car. Well, I guess I can at least post pics of the engine bay.

The whole thing is costing me about $6000 installed and fully tuned. If you are in the Seattle area and are interested, let me know and I can get you in touch with my mechanic -- he's top notch, very high quality work. He prides himself in building OEM quality setups.

--jB

Last edited by JohnyBlaze; 03-20-2003 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2003
DIY King

Yeah, I posted a thread in Tech Stuff about the E-Manage a while back. I'll be using it as well. I just didn't know that it could be used to modify the stock MAP sensor. I thought that it needed it's own pressure sensor to read boost. Definately let us know how that works out.

That manifold you're going to use looks interesting. Not an optimal design, but it's nice and compact.
Old 03-21-2003
BAD MON

Booohahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
woo looks good...
cant wait for the DIY!
Old 04-01-2003
Premium Boosted Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
I emailed them looking for prices for it with a T25 flange. Hopfully they'll comply and help me out.
Old 04-06-2003
Registered!!

Speedracer32 is an unknown quantity at this point
manifold looks similar to mine but don't all log styles
i wnated equal lengths but this was priced better and that other 100 some odd dollas can go to something else.
what kind of flange is on there?

and what kind of adjustments did you have to make to get the DSM's too fit
major or minor? somethingi could do myself???
Old 04-06-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
The E-manage seems to have more uses than I thought didn't think it would be able to manage all that. Your setup sounds like its going to be quite the sleeper type , good luck to all of you guys with each one of your turbo setups
Old 04-06-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Originally posted by XxJDMCivicxX
The E-manage seems to have more uses than I thought didn't think it would be able to manage all that. Your setup sounds like its going to be quite the sleeper type , good luck to all of you guys with each one of your turbo setups
Me neither. Found this:

More info: manuals, instructions etc. here