Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here!

New Turbo-Game Over

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
absolutely sick!
Old 10-13-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
I have descent lag. If I race from a roll I just brake spool it. Its a little hard on everything but its pretty sweet to have full boost on that last beep. Takes off like a rocket. Im waiting to see how this works out for Andy....hint,hint. haha
Old 10-14-2006
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=andyman97;4063847]. I plan on about maybe 18 psi daily and around 25 on face fuel. I figure I should see full boost at around 5-5200 rpm with this turbo.

[QUOTE]

wow, look at andy go...400 shouldnt be a prob with that turbo...we both know that i was making well over 400 with it on my car...good luck man...although i dont think it will take that much boost for you to make it...
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light
damn good luck
Old 10-15-2006
Registered!!

SaiyanMatador is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious as to why you chose the 3076 over the 3071. The 71R will spool up a couple hundred Rpms faster and a have a better transient reponse between shifts. Its power level is just under 500whp maxed. You've stated your goal was only 400whp. A couple hundred rpms is a huge difference between closely matched cars.
Old 10-15-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of reasons.
For one, the turbo you're talking about is only available in a 5-bolt internally gated configuration.
Two, I'm going to need every bit of power I can get. These turbo's horsepower outputs are rated on 2.0-3.0 engines. What it makes on mine is not what it will make on a 2.5 dohc.

Just because it will make "more" power does not mean it will spool up slower and with the exhaust housing I am going with, it will actually spool faster than the other two gt30's. Turbine housings are .64 and .81. Even bigger than the one I am going to run.
Old 10-15-2006
Registered!!

I don't use the .64 or .81 GT housing. I personally don't like them. You can get a 3071R in any configuration you want you just have to look harder. You can use a T31 4 bolt housing to keep your external gate and make great power out of a .63 housing. Anything smaller will cause unwanted surging.

A turbo will flow a given number of CFM regardless of engine size so really what you want is a over better power band than just peak numbers.

You want to look more at the wheels your using. The GT30 compressor is top notch.

Edit: The 76 will spool slower than the 71 because it requires more energy to turn the wheel all else being equal.
Old 10-15-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Spoolin
haha yeah. there are people putting that down on stock bottom end b18s running 94-100 octane no problem
once again a negative comment from you.

andy this is a major achoevement for our d17a2. good job, your making us all proud. and i agree andy vs super, lol.
Old 10-15-2006
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SaiyanMatador
I don't use the .64 or .81 GT housing. I personally don't like them. You can get a 3071R in any configuration you want you just have to look harder. You can use a T31 4 bolt housing to keep your external gate and make great power out of a .63 housing. Anything smaller will cause unwanted surging.

A turbo will flow a given number of CFM regardless of engine size so really what you want is a over better power band than just peak numbers.

You want to look more at the wheels your using. The GT30 compressor is top notch.

Edit: The 76 will spool slower than the 71 because it requires more energy to turn the wheel all else being equal.
Larger turbine housing=slower spool time. I am sure if I was willing to pay a ton more I could get whatever configuration I wanted. As far as cfm, yeah, that's what the turbo is capable of but the less amount of output from the exhaust, the longer the spool time. This thing will spool a hell of a lot faster on a gsr motor than with a d17.
Old 10-15-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by andyman97
Larger turbine housing=slower spool time. I am sure if I was willing to pay a ton more I could get whatever configuration I wanted. As far as cfm, yeah, that's what the turbo is capable of but the less amount of output from the exhaust, the longer the spool time. This thing will spool a hell of a lot faster on a gsr motor than with a d17.
So why skimp if your going for broke?
Old 10-15-2006
Wish I had a Turbo 3)

04|5spdCivic can only hope to improve
i'm glad someones gonna finally break the barrier. good job and good luck.
Old 10-15-2006
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
So why skimp if your going for broke?
The turbo I'm going with makes the most power and flows the most cfm, what are you talking about?
Old 10-16-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
A turbo that would spool up faster and something that was built with your power range in mind, not something made for 100 more hp then you're looking for.
Old 10-16-2006
Turbo Guru

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
A turbo that would spool up faster and something that was built with your power range in mind, not something made for 100 more hp then you're looking for.
Once again, these turbos are rated on 2.0 to 3.0 litre motors, not 1.7's. What it will make on a gsr is not what it will make on my engine. I am not going to limit my ability to make power by the turbo....
Old 10-16-2006
TheMoogly

Do you have an EX? I am starting to look around and get some knowledge on turbos... I have an LX... could I ever get 200hp with what you've got? Heck, I'd be happy with just 160... just want some zip.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

DUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura aboutDUDEitsMATTx has a spectacular aura about
yo spoolin u never have anything good 2 say so why even talk? anyone can go buy a LS teggie and throw a turbo kit on and make 350-450whp, or just about any DOHC it is easyer and they can handle more power. good **** andy cant w8 2 see the beat come alive
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

pNOYjOSH can only hope to improve
good luck, cant wait to see the outcome
Old 10-16-2006
Turbo Guru

Yeah, my engine is an ex. I made 195 whp on 6 psi with a full lx motor....so yeah, 200 whp is very easily attainable. But why not go with an ex head?
Old 10-22-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by andyman97
Actually both the GT.64 and the T31 4 bolt .63 are very similar in size. The difference would be where they connect to the O2 housing. The GT extends the bolt pattern a few inch out where the T31 is closer to flush with wheel.

Both have the T3 flange for your manifold. Ton of money??? I think not.

The place I get my turbos from sells them in any configuration I want without extra $$$. The .71 will spool faster because the wheel mates up to the tongue area perfectly and mated with a GT30 compressor wheel you'll be making close to that 500whp goal.

IN all seriousness if you can get 500 out of that engine with the proper set-up it should hit low 10's with a 130-135 trap.
Old 10-23-2006
SRT-4 owner with 2MCHPSI

jwcardy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SaiyanMatador
IN all seriousness if you can get 500 out of that engine with the proper set-up it should hit low 10's with a 130-135 trap.

haha i doubt it...not putting you down andy, but you and i both know better than that..
Old 10-23-2006
Registered!!

WilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of lightWilmncChris is a glorious beacon of light
we are all pulling for you andy. Push the boundries!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2006
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light
It will take a lot more than a 500whp engine to break into the tens with one of these cars.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

04D17 is an unknown quantity at this point
jw y do u have lx wen if have an ex u already start out wit like 15 mor horses jus wondering if u put a turbo on an automatic will be dumb
oh glad some one is throwing down good luck andy
Old 10-26-2006
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 04D17
jw y do u have lx wen if have an ex u already start out wit like 15 mor horses jus wondering if u put a turbo on an automatic will be dumb
what did you just say
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 04D17
lx also has dif. gear ratios which are said to be better for a turbo set up then the ex gears. and why would 15 hp make a dif. when thats NA when its going to be turbo....
Old 10-26-2006
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
and the ex has higher compression....so if youre going turbo, the lx head is a little better to boost with, granted there arent really any parts for it. And the ex MAYBE has 10 more hp....and its pointless, unless you want the ex head in order to put on cams, valves, etc for an NA setup.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
With all do respect do gear ratios really matter when it comes to LX vs EX. I mean its not like the EX has gears like the S2000 which is super short. I know ppl say the same thing about boosting an RSX type S vs the base rsx because of the gears but a boosted rsx type S is still a beast. And while we're on the subject of gear ratios what about the higher redline of an EX vs the LX. Can you make the argument that the EX is better to boost bc you can actually take it to 7200 rpms? What about the higher compression of an EX vs LX. Same argument a GSR is still going to be a beast turboed vs. an LS VTEC. My point is that these differences shouldn't be much of an issue; it all comes down to the tune IMO. You'd be tuning a LX differently from an EX but should still make similar amounts of power at the end of the day.
Old 10-26-2006
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
im willing to bet money you wont make anything close to 400hp on a d17.
Old 10-26-2006
omgwtfbbq mod.

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
With all do respect do gear ratios really matter when it comes to LX vs EX. I mean its not like the EX has gears like the S2000 which is super short. I know ppl say the same thing about boosting an RSX type S vs the base rsx because of the gears but a boosted rsx type S is still a beast. And while we're on the subject of gear ratios what about the higher redline of an EX vs the LX. Can you make the argument that the EX is better to boost bc you can actually take it to 7200 rpms? What about the higher compression of an EX vs LX. Same argument a GSR is still going to be a beast turboed vs. an LS VTEC. My point is that these differences shouldn't be much of an issue; it all comes down to the tune IMO. You'd be tuning a LX differently from an EX but should still make similar amounts of power at the end of the day.
thats exactly true. i think people are just stating that because of the little differences. If youve got en EX, it would be dumb to swap to an LX just to boost, and vice versa. Just build what youve got if youre gonna waste the money.

IMO, ANY d17 is just a waste of money. If youre gonna spend that much, just do a swap. The d17 was never built to be a "performance" motor or to handle the stress loads of big turbos.
Old 10-26-2006
Turbo Guru

Well, I just got my intake manifold back today. There were small cracks in the runners due to stress. I sent it back to JDM Fabtech and Gerry rewelded the runners and put some heavy duty support brackets on. Can you say 18 psi at 4300 rpm?