Engine Management Post information/questions about Engine Management here! It's especially important for Forced Induction (Turbo and SuperCharging) and Engine swaps! What destroys engines are fuel management!

Can my automatic Civic be tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HonestlyX is an unknown quantity at this point
Can my automatic Civic be tuned?

Hi, I am rather new to upgrading cars and I am looking into tuning my 04 Honda Civic LX daily driver. It is currently bone stock and it is an automatic. I do plan on installing a CAI and Cat-back in the future.

On my research I have seen that most ECU's are made for manual transmissions. From the tuners I have seen such as K-PRO they do not offer anything for automatics.

So I was wondering. Can a tune be done on an automatic? If so, what is the best way to do it? Flash, Chip replacement, etc? Should I do it as a first step on the upgrade path or last step?
Old 05-11-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,127 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Can my automatic Civic be tuned?

The cai and cat back won't do anything but be shiny and add more noise. You're probably sol for a tunable ecu for an automatic
Old 05-12-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The cai and cat back won't do anything but be shiny and add more noise. You're probably sol for a tunable ecu for an automatic
Is there a particular reason that automatics favored over manual for tuning? It get that manual is the way to go if you want to track. But, me being new and all I'm not trying to go to crazy by swapping trannies and I'm just looking to make daily driving more fun and learn.

I have been looking at some universal standalone options like AEM EMS 4 and Haltech. Has that been done before?
Old 05-12-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

SOL = sh*t out of luck.
Automatics are not favoured by tuners. Because then you have to deal with shift points, lock up and a whole host of other nonsense.
Sell your car and buy a manual car, and get one with VTEC for a little more power
Old 05-12-2019
Registered!!

SOL = sh*t out of luck.
Automatics are not favoured by tuners. Because then you have to deal with shift points, lock up and a whole host of other nonsense.
Sell your car and buy a manual car, and get one with VTEC for a little more power
Wow, that was very helpful. I thought this forum was an open space for people who had questions. Guess I was wrong.
Old 05-12-2019

You are totally allowed to ask questions.
I'm telling you what I know based on my limited experience.
You can manual swap your car if you want to but for the time and effort and cost, you'd be better off buying a manual car. Especially since this is your daily.
Old 05-14-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

This.

Also a “flash” for a D17 does not do much with bolt on’s. Swap in a camshaft for the best power bump without doing a motor swap or forced induction. You don’t really “tune” a stock D17 or one with intake and headers.
Old 05-14-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

You can tune a piano but you can't tune a turd (stock D17).