Turbo Post information/questions about Turbo here

How Do You Reach 20 PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AnthonySuper is an unknown quantity at this point
How Do You Reach 20 PSI?

Has anyone reached 20 PSI using the digital Turbo Meter in their turbocharged Honda Civic Si? How and under what conditions did you achieve it?
Old 04-20-2020
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: How Do You Reach 20 PSI?

If the car is setup to only boost to a certain target HP number then you need hotter air.

Lower boost is needed with colder air then warmer air.

A tune will increase it.
Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

Well according to the specs on Honda's website, a 10th generation Si should be able to get 20.3 PSI of boost pressure with OEM only...

I've seen 18 PSI on the digital Turbo Meter and with all the red bars filled (grey in photo) but I've never seen 20 PSI reached...

So it shouldn't have to come down to a tune?

Old 04-20-2020
Click Here

Received 1,156 Likes on 903 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

That's absolute best-case scenario. If you read around, very few people have managed to exceed 19. I'm assuming it has something to do with elevation. It's harder to produce more boost with thinner air.

If you're wanting 20, you're probably going to need to tune it like GolNat said.
Old 04-20-2020
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You also could be peaking at over 20. They never say how long you are suppose to be at 20.3. Idk how accurate or fast the on board boost gauge is.
The following users liked this post:
AnthonySuper (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020
Registered!!

Good thought, I'm in Southern California which is ~87m above sea level... I bet that plays a factor.

I'd love to tune my car but I'm terrified at the thought of voiding my warranty.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 04-21-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

So, the 10th gen civic has a torque target programmed into the ecu. Meet the torque demand, it'll open the wastegate. The boost meter, from what I've seen/read (I have a sport hatch, so no boost meter on the dash), will display something close to what you want to see, as opposed to actual manifold pressure. It's pretty useless, tbh. Get a bluetooth OBD reader and the torque app, and you'll see actual manifold boost pressure. I'd honestly be surprised if you were getting more than 16PSI actual. I know my Sport hatch isn't an Si, and is only rated for 16.5psi, but with the most ideal conditions I could put my car in, I was only getting 12psi at most.

Now, if you go with something like KTuner, it'll change the tune from torque target to boost target. Since you're in cali, the Hondata CARB tune might be your best bet if you wanna venture down that path. My sport hatch (CVT, I know) with KTuner's +6PSI tune (actual boost is 21psi) is actually faster than a stock Si coupe, and that was before I turned on a lot of the quick adjustments like improved throttle response and improved turbo ramp up.

tl;dr tune to get the boost Honda told you that the car could get.