Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Bleeding clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverrazor is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Bleeding clutch

Howdy! I have a 2001 EX Coupe with 65K miles. Just wondering if anyone out there has bleed their clutch yet. I've done brakes a million time, but the damn clutch is not cooperating. I'm pretty sure that all of the air bubbles are out of the line, but when I close the bleed nipple at the slave cylinder and start pumping the clutch pedal...it stays limp!

Are there any issues I need to worry about? Any tricks to beat this S.O.B?

PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

-Silver
Old 05-19-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Why are you bleeding the clutch Slave anyway? Did you replace the Master Cylinder or Slave Cylinder or both? As far as bleeding goes its really simple, have someone sit in the car, make sure the Clutch Master Cylinder is full of fluid. Open the bleeder valve on the Slave and have your friend SLOWLY push the clutch pedal down to the floor. Once the pedal is on the floor,keep it on the floor until you close the bleeder and let the cltuch pedal back up, repeat until all the air is out of the line. Make sure the Master stays full, it shouldn't take but a couple of times before its done.

Is the car shifting okay or is there still a problem? Its possible that even though you bled the line clear of air the Master Cylinder could be bad or the Slave or both. They can have internal problems allowing the fluid to pass over the seals.

BTW just a FYI that most people don't know. The clutch has a seperate Master Cylinder from the Brake Master Cylinder, they both work the same way and are called the same thing, its just a differnt funtion of the car.
Old 09-17-2010
Registered!!

daza2506 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bleeding clutch

After fitting new clutch to honda civic 1.7 d had problems with slave cylinder and then master cylinder both of which had to be replaced...
Old 08-29-2021
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ninjaturkey is a jewel in the roughNinjaturkey is a jewel in the roughNinjaturkey is a jewel in the rough
Re: Bleeding clutch

Originally Posted by silverrazor
Howdy! I have a 2001 EX Coupe with 65K miles. Just wondering if anyone out there has bleed their clutch yet. I've done brakes a million time, but the damn clutch is not cooperating. I'm pretty sure that all of the air bubbles are out of the line, but when I close the bleed nipple at the slave cylinder and start pumping the clutch pedal...it stays limp!

Are there any issues I need to worry about? Any tricks to beat this S.O.B?

PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!

-Silver
I tried hand pumping and another person pumping the pedal without success. I wound up using a Power Bleeder with the euro attachment. One person held it on to the reservoir to keep the pressure even, the other pumped it to 12 psi and opened the bleeder.

​​​​​​​Since I use old threads regularly to figure out how to fix things, hopefully this thread necro is forgivable and useful.