Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Is it worth replacing the input shaft bearing while getting a clutch replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mfskarphedin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it worth replacing the input shaft bearing while getting a clutch replacement?

This is a little different question than my last post. If I'm getting my clutch replaced anyway, should I get the input shaft bearing replaced while the transmission is out? I read/watched the DIY, so I know it involves taking the whole transmission apart, and that looks costly in terms of labor. How much does that typically add at a shop (assume here they say $1,000 for the clutch job alone?)

I'm worried this problematic part, while apparently fine at the moment on my car, may just go out not long after I do the clutch, and I'll be kicking myself for not doing it preventatively. Also, it gives them a chance to look inside and see if anything's going ****-up in the tranny. That might be a costly but good thing.

I'm juuust learning about this stuff, so sorry for any stupidy on the subject.

Thanks,

Kristen

("Yes, mom, that is a clutch replacement kit on my Amazon Christmas Wishlist...")
Old 07-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is it worth replacing the input shaft bearing while getting a clutch replacement?

if it's not rattling and making noise I would leave it alone, even if it's a little noisy it's not worth it. opening the transmission is expansive and risky if not done by a professional and you might replace the whole tranny rebuild kit if you decided to go that route, that includes all the seals and bearings. input shaft bearings last long time even when they are noisy. good preventative maintenances with clutch replacement is to do the rear main seal, and probably the axle seals and the ball joint boots, and the tranny will get serviced with the fresh fluid
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

Re: Is it worth replacing the input shaft bearing while getting a clutch replacement?

Are the ball joint boots something cheap on labor if the axles are out for the clutch job? People on here said it's $300 labor on its own... o_0
Old 07-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfskarphedin
Are the ball joint boots something cheap on labor if the axles are out for the clutch job? People on here said it's $300 labor on its own... o_0

Common (mechanical) sense says that the suspension parts will be disassembled enough to significantly reduce the labor needed to replace ball joint boots--- if done in conjunction with the clutch work.

(It's known as "overlap" of the job areas.)

Are the boots on your suspension bad? Split open and leaking grease?

HTH
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

I have no idea. I did just have my brakes and exhaust done, so I think my mechanic probably would have seen it, if so? We also have stringent state inspections here, so I assume that should have been caught. Other posts have said to do the axle boots with it (the ISB replacement DIY,) and since I had to have the ball joints done on my old Accord when one sheared off while I was driving (thankfully in my driveway,) I don't mind preventative maintenance on this type of stuff at all.

It's really just a question of money: just did my timing belt and related, and I'm broke on a fixed income, so the more I add to the job, the longer I have to wait to do my clutch. I'm correcting my bad clutching habits, but it's a waiting game to see what happens first: clutch wears all the way down, or I save the money for the job! I estimate it'll take a year to save if the job is about $1,200-1,300.