Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

EX 5-speed regear or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013
Civicless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noJeepshere is an unknown quantity at this point
EX 5-speed regear or replace?

I bought my 05 EX Special Edition last summer as a thrifty commuter car, and I'm somewhat dismayed that it's geared so low. I don't care to be running at over 4,000 rpm on the interstate. The clutch is going to need replacing soon, (-ish) and since that requires pulling the trans out, I want to either regear the differential for better highway economy or source a 5-speed from a lower model and rebuild it to swap in. I do want to keep the limited slip in my trans...

Anyone done this? pros/cons? worth the cost? or should I just replace the clutch and live with a high-revving motor and lose fuel economy on the interstate?
Old 12-29-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: EX 5-speed regear or replace?

Honestly, unsure. My ex manual clocks better mpg than my former lx auto, but too many variables (gearing, auto, vtec, etc.) Potentially could be worse depending on power band/roads.
Old 12-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care to be running at over 4,000 rpm on the interstate.
Dayumm. How fast are you going?
Old 01-01-2014
Registered!!

MPGFTW is an unknown quantity at this point

Slow down. Its free.

The EPA difference between an 05 LX and EX is 1 mpg. That would take 100,000 miles to recoupe if the trans cost $200 and gas was $3.25.
Old 01-01-2014
Civicless

Originally Posted by ezone
Dayumm. How fast are you going?
That's in 5th gear...

Name:  20131217_234454_zpsb75b763d.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  36.0 KB

On a trip home to Washington state (900 miles one way):
First tank, sustained speeds of ~80mph, ethanol free fuel = 36.3mpg
Second tank, speeds of ~60mph, ethanol blend gas = 35.1
Third tank, speeds of ~70mph, ethanol crap gas = 35.2
Fourth tank, speeds of 80-85, ethanol junk gas = 32.6

Not what I was hoping for, and you can see how the ethanol affected my fuel economy, as well as my speed. I would think that even at 80 mph, running 500-1000 slower would make it run much more efficiently, as I never coasted down even steep grades, and cancelling the cruise acted more like hitting the brakes. Guess that's why Honda went with a 6 speed the next year huh?

Last edited by noJeepshere; 01-01-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

I still think your right foot is the biggest culprit. I run ethanol and can pull off 40mpg at 75. I drive smoothly though. I don't weave and constantly accelerate/decelerate.

Jack your car and check for drag on all 4 wheels. Also, pump your tires up to the highest PSI you are comfortable running them at, but at least what the placard says. Mine are at 40 PSI. Also, check the basics, plugs, filter, etc.
Old 01-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done EVERYTHING in my power to get 40 MPG out of my "EX" civic. It is very hard to do simply because the car is not geared for economy. As efficient as the engine is at 4000 rpms it will simply NOT do well. Even at 60mph it's revving over 2500 if I recall correctly. You will do a little better with an LX but not significantly. It's really hard to say if it's worth it however everyone is right. If you slowed down you would save a pretty drastic amount of gas. Your best fuel economy is around 40mph and its a decrease from there on.
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
I have done EVERYTHING in my power to get 40 MPG out of my "EX" civic. It is very hard to do simply because the car is not geared for economy. As efficient as the engine is at 4000 rpms it will simply NOT do well. Even at 60mph it's revving over 2500 if I recall correctly. You will do a little better with an LX but not significantly. It's really hard to say if it's worth it however everyone is right. If you slowed down you would save a pretty drastic amount of gas. Your best fuel economy is around 40mph and its a decrease from there on.
2500 and 4000 rpm is a big difference. 4000 rpm is over 80. Slow down for better economy.

What kind of tires are you running? LRR? Are they at the correct pressure? Are they the correct size? Do you have the stock 14 or 15 inch wheels?

If the car is stock and running correctly, and you aren't getting around EPA mileage, your driving most likely needs work.
Old 01-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noJeepshere
Fourth tank, speeds of 80-85, ethanol junk gas = 32.6
That's about what I get with my Lx 5 speed. Mostly highway driving with runs up to about 80-85mph (RPM is 3400 at 80).

Best I ever got was 39 mpg, completely stock on a 600 mile trip
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

Wow...I get 34 around town...I must drive a lot different.

Instead of changing the trans out, one could always go with slightly taller tires. just remember, the speedometer and odometer is going to be off.
Old 01-02-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MPGFTW
I must drive a lot different.
I'm a more spirited driver. Even in the summer when I take the back roads home and push her more to the limits I get around 32 (with summer tires). Now I have winter tires and more highway so I'm pushing closer to 34.

Not worth the trouble of changing the trans out for a few MPG, IMO.
Old 01-02-2014
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

2500 and 4000 rpm is a big difference. 4000 rpm is over 80. Slow down for better economy.

What kind of tires are you running? LRR? Are they at the correct pressure? Are they the correct size? Do you have the stock 14 or 15 inch wheels?

If the car is stock and running correctly, and you aren't getting around EPA mileage, your driving most likely needs work.

I'm not sure if you even read my post?

What year is your civic? My 2005 I had to drive veeeeerrrryyy carefully to get 30MPG in the city. From what I've seen on Fuelly.com, this rings true to every other civic in the world. 7th gen anyway.
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

I'm not sure if you even read my post?

What year is your civic? My 2005 I had to drive veeeeerrrryyy carefully to get 30MPG in the city. From what I've seen on Fuelly.com, this rings true to every other civic in the world. 7th gen anyway.
My car is a 2005 Civic LX sedan with a 5 speed. I think I have one tank that I was under 30. I can post up a fuel log later if you want.

I don't drive that well...
Old 01-02-2014
Registered!!

and there are plenty of 2005 Civics on fuelly that aren't hybrids getting between 30 and 40 plus.
Old 01-02-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I agree on the reduce speed.
up north, where the posted speed was 65MPH, was the best ever MPG i got, 44MPG. of course the huge weight of all my stuff in the car (moving from canada back to TN) helped a lot.

Also, unsure where the most efficient point is on the EX engine, but much depends on the power/torque band and where the engine is most efficient.
the best guys to answer that question would be the ones that swapped the EX head into a LX, but not sure if any of them will reply - they mostly simply come to ask questions and disappear into the darkness.

noJeepshere,

just give it a try and run at 70-75 for one tank and check again. you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-08-2014
Civicless

I can tell the consensus is to just leave it be... oh well, just a thought.

Part of the reason I was going so fast was that I needed to go to work in the morning and I was running behind schedule, so I was taking advantage of northern Utah's 80mph speed limit. Normally I don't even bother looking at the speed limit sign, I just do somewhere around 70-72, even in a 75 zone. (Habit from my truck)

I just went to Rexburg and back, and my friend drove up, doing ~80 the whole way, 32mpg on the tank. I drove back, doing 72, and got... I don't know yet, but I've 267 miles on just over half a tank, so pretty good.

Thanks for your input y'all.
Old 01-08-2014
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I do want to keep the limited slip in my trans...?
Do 7th gen EX civics have LSD? I didn't think they did, or is it aftermarket?
Old 01-08-2014
Whachya lookin at?

No they don't
Old 01-08-2014
Civicless

No they don't
According to my owners manual, the EX 5 speed has an LSD.
Old 01-08-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Coupe or sedan, and what page of the owners manual is that info on?

I think many of us would like to read it.
Old 01-08-2014
Civicless

I just have some 195/65-15 tires on the stock aluminum wheels, Grenada's iirc. Correct size for the car.

I drive just fine thankyouverymuch. Most of the time in normal driving I get anywhere's from 36-38 mpg. This high speed run is unusual for me in that I never travel at such speeds in normal situations. I rev the motor to 3,000 rpm in each gear and go up to half-throttle, if that.
Old 01-09-2014
Registered!!

I just have some 195/65-15 tires on the stock aluminum wheels, Grenada's iirc. Correct size for the car.

I drive just fine thankyouverymuch. Most of the time in normal driving I get anywhere's from 36-38 mpg. This high speed run is unusual for me in that I never travel at such speeds in normal situations. I rev the motor to 3,000 rpm in each gear and go up to half-throttle, if that.
If you are getting 36-38 hwy, then you are driving okay. That sounds a lot better than 32!

I asked about tire and wheel size because oversize (even 1") can lower gas mileage. For your next set of tires, look into some LRR's. They can improve mileage. I love mine. They work well in dry and wet conditions and I expect them to work in the snow, though we really don't get snow here. But, some LRR's suck all around so do the research.

I usually shift at 2,000 minimum and 2,600 max. My last tank was 36 in the city, well, suburban city. I hit traffic lights, but the speed limits are between 35 and 55. I also sit in a little traffic both to and from work, not moving, which is 0 mpg.

Last edited by MPGFTW; 01-11-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-11-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Hopefully they do not mean some stuff you buy on the streets :P

some 8th gen Si came with LSD, don't think 7th have them, much less a EX. all open diff.
Old 01-12-2014
Civicless

From my 2005 Sedan owners manual:

Name:  20140110_125738_zpsf90feb0c.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  66.2 KB
Old 01-12-2014
Civicless

If you are getting 36-38 hwy, then you are driving okay. That sounds a lot better than 32!

I asked about tire and wheel size because oversize (even 1") can lower gas mileage. For your next set of tires, look into some LRR's. They can improve mileage. I love mine. They work well in dry and wet conditions and I expect them to work in the snow, though we really don't get snow here. But, some LRR's suck all around so do the research.

I usually shift at 2,000 minimum and 2,600 max. My last tank was 36 in the city, well, suburban city. I hit traffic lights, but the speed limits are between 35 and 55. I also sit in a little traffic both to and from work, not moving, which is 0 mpg.
I'm going to get a set of those hard ultra low rolling resistance tires, if I wear this set out, which I doubt I will since these are brand new and I only plan on keeping the car for a year or two until trade it for a newer car.
Old 01-12-2014

From my 2005 Sedan owners manual:
Well THAT'S awkward.

If you want, I can tell you how to tell if your car has an LSD.
(I seriously doubt it has one.)
Old 01-12-2014
Civicless

If you want, I can tell you how to tell if your car has an LSD.
(I seriously doubt it has one.)
Well when I go up Big Cottonwood canyon and really zip through the S-curve (two 200* turns up a steep grade) and power out of the last turn at 5,000 rpm in second gear, it doesn't spin either tire where I know my friends automatic Civic will. And when I'm in patchy snow and ice, if the right tire loses traction, it'll pull to that side as if the left tire is doing all the pulling and torque-steering to the right, where an open diff wouldn't...

And the test I do is jack the wheels off the ground, leave it in neutral and turn one of the tires by hand, if the opposite one spins backward, I've got an LSD, if it doesn't turn at all, it's open. I did that and it spins backward.
Old 01-12-2014

And the test I do is jack the wheels off the ground, leave it in neutral and turn one of the tires by hand, if the opposite one spins backward, I've got an LSD, if it doesn't turn at all, it's open. I did that and it spins backward.
You have an open differential, you just found which mechanical path has the least resistance.

Jack one front wheel off the ground so it can spin free.
Leave the other on the ground.
Start engine, put in gear, dry to drive it off the jack.
If it has a limited slip, the wheel with traction WILL drive the car.
If it is an open diff, the free spinning wheel will just spin freely.
Old 01-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ agree
Old 01-16-2014
Civicless

You have an open differential, you just found which mechanical path has the least resistance.

Jack one front wheel off the ground so it can spin free.
Leave the other on the ground.
Start engine, put in gear, dry to drive it off the jack.
If it has a limited slip, the wheel with traction WILL drive the car.
If it is an open diff, the free spinning wheel will just spin freely.
I'll do this, just as soon as I get my car back together (replacing the head gasket)

Quick Reply: EX 5-speed regear or replace?